- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Linking Findings from Text Analyses to Online Sales Strategies
온라인상의 기업 및 소비자 텍스트 분석과 이를 활용한 온라인 매출 증진 전략
Kim, Jeeyeon;Jo, Wooyong;Choi, Jeonghye;Chung, Yerim
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.09
- Published : 2016.05.31
Much effort has been exerted to analyze online texts and understand how empirical results can help improve sales performance. In this research, we aim to extend this stream of research by decomposing online texts based on text sources, namely, companies and consumers. To be specific, we investigate how online texts driven by companies differ from those generated by consumers, and the extent to which both types of online texts have different effects on online sales. We obtained sales data from one of the biggest game publishers and merged them with online texts provided by companies using news articles and those created by consumers in user communities. The empirical analyses yield the following findings. Word visualization and topic analyses show that firms and consumers generate different contexts. Specifically, companies spread word to promote their own events whereas consumers produce online words to share winning strategies. Moreover, online sales are influenced by consumer-generated community topics whereas firm-driven topics in news articles have little to no effect. These findings suggest that companies should focus more on online texts generated by consumers rather than spreading their own words. Moreover, online sales strategies should take advantage of specific topics that have been proven to increase online sales. In particular, these findings give startup companies and small business owners in variety of industries the advantage when they use the online channel for distribution and as a marketing platform.
Text Analysis;Online Sales Strategy;News Article;Online Communities
- 김민철, 심규승, 한남기, 김예은, 송민, "트위터 상의 악의적 이용 자동분류", 한국문헌정보학회지, 제47권, 제1호(2013), pp.269-286.
- 김승경, 이재관, "웹 사이트 디자인의 시각적 요소와 유용성이 성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제32권, 제2호(2007), pp.17-40.
- 김승운, 강희택, "온라인 피드백 매커니즘으로서 상품평 게시판의 지각된 효과성과 신뢰, 만족, 이용의도간의 관계구조분석", 한국경영과학회지, 제32권, 제1호(2007), pp.53-69.
- 김은미, 이주현, "뉴스미디어로서의 트위터", 한국언론학보, 제55권, 제6호(2011), pp.152-180.
- 박자현, 송 민, "토픽 모델링을 활용한 국내 문헌정보학 연구동향 분석", 정보관리학회지, 제30권, 제1호(2013), pp.7-32.
- 이동일, 김현교, "모바일, PC 온라인 매체 방문 행동이 쇼핑 사이트 방문에 미치는 영향에 대한 동태적 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제39권, 제4호(2014), pp.85-95.
- 진설아, 허고은, 정유경, 송 민, "트위터 데이터를 이용한 네트워크 기반 토픽 변화 추적 연구", 정보관리학회지, 제30권, 제1호(2013), pp.285-302.
- Archak, N., A. Ghose, and P.G. Ipeirotis, "Deriving the pricing power of product features by mining consumer review," Management Science, Vol.57, No.8(2011), pp.1485-1509. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1110.1370
- Berger, J. and K.L. Milkman, "What makes online content viral?," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.49, No.2(2012), pp.192-205. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.10.0353
- Bickart, B. and R.M. Schindler, "Internet forums as influential sources of consumer information," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.15, No.3(2001), pp.31-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.1014
- Chen, P., S. Wu, and J. Yoon, "The impact of online recommendations and consumer feedback on sales," ICIS Proceedings, Vol.58 (2004), pp.711-724.
- Chevalier, J. and D. Mayzlin, "The effect of word of mouth on sales:online book review," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.43, No.3 (2006), pp.345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Duan, W., B. Gu, and A.B. Whinston, "The dynamics of online word-of-mouth and product sales-an empirical investigation of the movie industry," Journal of Retailing, Vol.84, No.2(2008), pp.233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2008.04.005
- Godes, D. and D. Mayzlin, "Using online conversations to study word of mouth communication," Marketing Science, Vol.23, No.4 (2004), pp.545-560. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1040.0071
- Godes, D. and D. Mayzlin, "Firm-created word-of-mouth communication:evidence from a field test," Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.4 (2009), pp.721-739. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1080.0444
- Greene, W.H., Econometric Analysis, New York:McMillian, 5th ed., 2003.
- Griffiths, T. and M. Steyvers, "Finding science topics," Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America, Vol.101, No.1(2004), pp.5228-5235. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0307752101
- Huang, P., N.H. Lurie, and S. Mitra, "Searching for Experience on the Web:An Empirical Examination of Consumer Behavior for Search and Experience Goods," Journal of Marketing, Vol.73, No.1(2009), pp.55-69. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.2.55
- Liu, Y., "Word of mouth for movies:its dynamics and impact on box office revenue," Journal of Marketing, Vol.70, No.3(2006), pp.74-89. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.70.3.74
- Naik, P.A., "Estimating the Half-life of Advertisments," Marketing Letters, Vol.10, No.4 (1999), pp.345-356. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008158119567
- Netzer, O., R. Feldman, J. Goldenberg, and M. Fresko, "Mine your own business:market-structure surveillance through text mining," Marketing Science, Vol.31, No.3(2012), pp.5211-543.
- Pauwels, K., E.C. Stacey, and A. Lackman, "Beyond Likes and Tweets:Marketing, Social Media Content, and Store Performance," Marketing Science Institute, Vol.13(2013), pp. 13-125.
- Srinivasan, S.S., R. Anderson, and K. Ponnavolu, "Customer loyalty in e-commerce: an exploration of its antecedents and consequences," Journal of Retailing, Vol.78, No.1 (2002), pp.41-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00065-3
- Villanueva, J., S. Yoo, and D.M. Hanssens, "The impact of marketing-induced versus word-of-mouth customer acquisition on customer equity growth," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.45, No.1(2008), pp.48-59. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.45.1.48
Supported by : 연세대학교