- Volume 10 Issue 1
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to identify the determinants of the long-term influence of violence on hospital nurses. Methods : Three-hundred hospital nurses were recruited in B city, South Korea. They were asked to complete a questionnaire, and 282 data- sets were included in the multiple regression analysis. Results : Subjects experienced more episodes of verbal violence than that of physical threats or physical violence. Assailants tended to be patients and their caretakers rather than internal customers. Nurses who had religion, worked in a surgical ward, and a 3-6 year career perceived a high level of violent experiences compared to their counterparts. The determinants of the long-term influence of violence were physical violence (t=-2.705, p=.007), emotion-focused coping (t=3.049, p=.003), and emotional response (t=3.611, p<.001). The model was statistically significant explaining 13.0% of the variance (F=14.981, p<.001). Conclusions : Nurse managers should help nurses who are victims of hospital violence by teaching them not to depend on emotion-focused coping and by alleviating their emotional response to violence.
- T.S. Kim, J.I. Kim(2004), Violence episodes and turnover among clinical nurses, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol.10(4);427-436.
- M.J. Kang, I.S. Park(2015), Types of violence and coping methods experienced by general hospital nurses, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.21(1);92-104.
- ICN. Position Statement; Abuse and violence against nursing personnel Internet. Geneva: ICN;2006[cited 2013 February 14]. Available from :http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/position_statements/C01_Abuse_Violence_Nsg_Personnel.
- J.S. Yun(2004), A study on job satisfaction and violence experience by ED nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Ulsan university, pp.1-45.
- H.J. Jung, Y.S. Lee(2011), Nurses's experiences of verbal abuse in hospital setting, Korean Journal of Health Communication, Vol.6(2);118-126.
- H.J. Kwon, H.S. Kim, K.S. Choe, K.S. Lee, Y.H. Sung(2007), A study on verbal abuse experienced at medical centers, Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.13(2);113-124.
- D. Hills(2008), Relationships between aggression management training, perceived self-efficacy and rural general hospital nurses' experiences of patient aggression, Contemporary Nurse, Vol.31(1);20-31. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.6184.108.40.206
- H.C. Pai, S. Lee(2011), Risk factors for workplace violence in clinical registered nurses in Taiwan, Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.20(9-10);1405-1412. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03650.x
- E. Jeung(2011), Psychosocial stress and burnout related to violence in emergency room nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam national university, pp.1-49.
- A. Jalowiec, S. Murphy, M. Powers(1984), Psychometric assessment of the Jalowice coping scale, Nursing Research, Vol.33;157-161.
- S. Kisa(2008), Turkish nurses' experiences of verbal abuse at work, Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, Vol.22(4);200-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2007.06.013
- S.S. Celik, Y. Celik, I. Agirbas, O. Ugurluoglu(2007), Verbal and physical abuse against nurses in Turkey, International Nursing Review, Vol.54(4);359-366. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2007.00548.x
- H.J. Kwon(2007), Verbal violence of nurses in medical center, Korea Nurse, Spring, pp.34-39.
- M.L. Lenza(1988), The reactions of nursing staff to physical assault patients, Hospital Community Psychiatry, Vol.34(1);44-47.
- S.J. Jang(2004), Relationship between experience of patients' violence behaviors and burnout of psychiatric nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul national university, pp.1-74.
- J. Gacki-Smith, A.M. Juarez, L. Boyett, C. Homeyer, L. Robinson, S.L. MacLean(2009), Violence against nurses working in US emergency departments. Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol.39(7);340-349. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e3181ae97db
- W.J. Choi, S.H. Cho, N.S. Cho, G.S. Kim(2005), Effect of an education program on violence in the emergency department, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.16(2);221-228.
- H.M. Lee, K.H. Cho, H.J. Yang, S.W. Lee, Y.H. Kwak, S.D. Shin(2014), 2010 Korean society of emergency physician survey, Journal of Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.25(3);238-251.
- K.D. Nam, K.S. Yoon, H.S. Chung, S.A. Park, B.Y. Jang, Y.H. Sung(2006), Verbal abuse of operating nurses by physicians and other nurses, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol.12(3);343-354.
- J.S. Park, M.S. Lee(2011), The effect of nursing organizational culture on job satisfaction and turnover intention in general hospital: The mediating effect of empowerment, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.5(3);1-11.
- E.Y. Park, E.N. Lee(2012), Predictors of violent behavior by patient or caregiver of patient in the emergency department, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.26(5);500-511.
- N.G. Boyd, J.E. Lewin, J.K. Sager(2009), A model of stress and coping and their influence on individual and organizational outcomes, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.75(2);197-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.03.010
- H. Cox(1991), Verbal abuse nationwide, Part I: Oppressed group behavior, Nursing Management, Vol.22(2);32-35.
- S.Y. Kim, M. Eom, H.Y. Oh, H.Y. Ahn(2007), Violence episodes and responses of emergency room nurses, Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.14(4);446-456.