- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Industrial Trends Related to Home Modification for the Elderly - With a focus on a comparison of the cases of Korea and Japan -
노인을 위한 주택개조 관련 산업 동향에 대한 고찰 - 한국과 일본 사례 비교를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.05.30
This research has as an objective to examine industrial trends of the home modification industry for the elderly in Korea and Japan, thus investigated literatures on policies and situations regarding home modification in both countries. Through visits and interviews of the groups and organizations which are leaders in research and tasks in the field and through materials and information obtained from visits to fairs, it includes an analysis of current industries involved in home remodeling. As a result, most of Korea's home modification products were relying on imports. In addition, home modification-related products provided by the long-term care insurance system were limited to handles and solutions for any unevenness caused by steps, which are categorized into equipment in this study. Therefore, they had a narrow product range and their development was slow. For this reason, the supply market related to home modification for the elderly was not being facilitated. In contrast with this, Japan was developing a variety of devices, equipment, and products related to home modification, which can guarantee the elderly's independent life, by identifying a series of movements based on the elderly's daily activities with a good understanding of their body and psychology with regard to the elderly's home-based life. Moreover, while Japanese companies were actively participating in the development of home modification-related products, Korea's relevant systems and policies remained inadequate, which hindered the research & development and investment of companies. This suggests that the Korean government should establish various governmental support systems and Korean companies should make active research & development efforts.
Home Modification;The Elderly;Industry Home Modification;Industrial Trends of Home Modification
- Ha, H., & Kwon, O. (2012). A Study on Residential Modification Demand by Elderly Lived in Detached Housing -Focusing on Application of Ubiquitous Home Services-, Journal of the Korean Institute of Interior Design, 21(2), 141-151.
- Jang, M., & Lee, Y. (2014). The Development of the Scale for the Elderly's Intention on The Development of the Scale for the Elderly's Intention on, Korean Gerontological Society, 34(2), 215-228.
- Kim, M., Lee, Y., & Kim, B. (2013). Characteristic of Affordance in Remodeled Houses for Ageing in Place, Proceeding of Spring Annual Conference of KHA, 2013(1), 69-74.
- Korea consumer agency. (2007). The Study on Domestic Accidents and Improving Home Safety. from http://m.kca.go.kr/brd/m_20/view.do?seq=23&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&multi_itm_seq=0&company_cd=&company_nm=
- Lee, J., & Lim, J. (2014). A Study on the Acceptability of Housing Adaptation by Elderly People through the Analysis on Resident's Behaviours during the Ageing Process, Journal of The Residential Environment Institute of Korea, 12(1), 233-247.
- Lim, B., & Park, Y. (2009). A Case Study on the House Remodeling for the Solitude Eldery and Handicapped People of 24 dwellings in Daejeon City, Journal of The Residential Environment Institute of Korea, 7(1), 73-86.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation.The Korean Housing Association. (2005). A research on development of residential remodeling standards for elderly households.
- NPO Corporate Welfare/Residential Environment Human Resource Center. (2015). Home Modification Project Training Text -Home Improvement for Daily Activities.
- The Longevity Society Development Center Incorporated. (2000). Investigative Report on Literature of Elderly Home Improvement.
Supported by : 국토교통부