- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Health-Promoting Behaviors on the Subjective Well-being of Physical Therapists
물리치료사의 건강증진행위가 주관적 안녕감에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.04.02
- Published : 2016.05.31
PURPOSE: This study aimed to evaluate the effects of health-promoting behaviors on the subjective well-being of a physical therapist. METHODS: Survey data were collected from 247 physical therapists in Daejeon city. The baseline for health-promoting behaviors was determined using Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile (HPLP), subjective well-being was determined using Positive Affect and Negative Affect Schedule (PANAS), quality of life was measured using the SF-36 (Short-Form 36), and pain level was determined using the Quadruple Visual Analogue Scale (QVAS). Health-promoting behaviors and related factors were analyzed using an average comparative analysis (t-test), and the factors relevant to subjective well-being and health-promoting behaviors were evaluated using correlation analysis (Pearson's correlation coefficient). Factors affecting health-promoting behaviors were evaluated using stepwise multiple regression analysis (stepwise multiple regression). RESULTS: The mean score for health-promoting behavior was 3.73, with emotional support having the highest score (3.90) and regular meals having the lowest score (3.16 points; p<0.01). Health-promoting behavior was significantly correlated with positive emotions and negative emotions are subjective well-being, negative emotions and pain were noted (p<0.01). Health-promoting behaviors showed a significant correlation with quality of life (r=0.04), positive emotions (r=0.21; p<0.01), negative emotions (r=0.16; p<0.05), and pain level (r=0.016). The results of this study showed that health-promoting behaviors are significant predictors of subjective well-being in physical therapists (p<0.01). CONCLUSION: Physical therapists have to maintain their health by avoiding infections. Regular exercise is the most important factor among all health-promoting behaviors.
Health promoting behaviors;Pain;Quality of life;Subjective well-being
- Bang YJ. The Effects of Health Promotion Education Program on Cadets of A.F.N.A. Using the K-WIFY Model. Journal of Armed Forced Nursing Academy. 2008:26(2):139-61.
- Bae WS, Lee GC, Oh HW. Effects of the Emotional Suppression and Burnout on the Job Satisfaction among Physical Therapists. J Korean soc phys med. 2011;6(2):177-87.
- Diener E. Subjective well-being. Psychological Bulletin. 1984; 95(3):542-75. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Ha AL. Self-Efficacy Feeding and Health-Promoting Behavior of Women in Their Twentie. Kosin University. Master's Degree. 2002.
- Han CH, Park JY. Health Promotion Behavior and Related Factors on the High School Students Who Live in a Dormitory. Korean Journal of Health Educa. 2006;23(2):63-76.
- Kim EA, Lee GC, PT, Bae WS, et al. A Study on the Relationship between Image of Physiotherapist and Self-Esteem of Physiotherapy Students. J Korean soc phys med. 2013;8(1):19-27. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.1.019
- Koh SB, Chang SJ, Kang MG, et al. Reliability and Validity on Measurement Instrument for Health Status Assessment in Occupational Workers. 1997;30(2): 251-66.
- Ko JK. Kwon DM. Kang YH. Analysis of Influencing Factors Related to Health Promotion Behavior in Hospital Radiological Technologists. Radiation Science and Technology. 2009;32(4):380-91.
- Lee HH, Kim EJ, Lee MK. A validation study of korea positive and negative affect schedule: The PANAS scales. Korea Journal of clinical psychology). 2003;22(4): 935-46.
- Metler SJ, Busseri MA. Further evaluation of the tripartite structure of subjective well-being: Evidence from longitudinal and experimental studies. J Pers. 2015;16.
- No HJ. Relation between Subjective Well-being of Nurses and Health Promoting Behaviors Affecting Quality of Life. Master's Degree. Wonkwang University. 2012.
- Paek KS, Choi YH. A Study of the Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior and Satisfaction of Life in Female College Students. J Korean Society for health educa. 2003;20(2)127-47.
- Pender, NJ. Health promotion in nursing practice. Appleton Century-Crofts. 1982.
- Pender NJ. Attitudes subjective norms and intentions to engage in health behaviors. Nursing Research. 1986;35:15-8.
- Seo H M, Hah YS. A study of factors influencing on health promoting lifestyle in the elderly-Application of Pender's Health Promotion Model. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2004;34(7):1288-97. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.7.1288
- Walker SN, Sechrist KR, Pender NJ. The health-promoting lifestyle profile. Development and psychometric characteristics. Nursing Research. 1987:36(2):76-81.
- Ware JE. Health perception questionnaire instruments for measuring practice and other care variables. Hyattsville, Maryland, DHEW publication. 1979; 158-61.