- Volume 11 Issue 2
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to determine the impact of stable and unstable surfaces on abdominal muscle thickness and changes in trunk muscle thickness in accordance with breathing methods during bridging exercises. METHODS: Bridging exercise on a stable surface, bridging exercise on an unstable surface, bridging exercise using a drawing-in maneuver on a stable surface, bridging exercise using a drawing-in maneuver on an unstable surface, bridging exercise using bracing on a stable surface, bridging exercise using bracing on an unstable surface. In sequence, the muscles' thickness was measured three times before and after each exercise, and the measured value was averaged. RESULTS: There were significant differences in internal oblique and transversus abdominis muscles' thickness in the drawing-in maneuver in both stable and unstable surface (p<0.05). There were no significant differences in external oblique muscle's thickness in the bridging exercise in both stable and unstable surface. The type of surface did not have a significant influence on the abdominal muscles' thickness. CONCLUSION: As a result of the study, the drawing-in maneuver had a greater effect than bridging or bracing maneuver on muscle thickness. We suggest that drawing-in maneuver will be more effective in a person with a weak abdominal muscle.
Abdominal drawing-in;Abdominal muscle;Bracing
- Akuthota V, Nadler S. Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;85(suppl1):86-92.
- Bang HS. The effects of lumbar stabilization exercise on muscle activity and isokinetic muscle strength of female patients with chronic low back pain. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2015;10(2):63-71.
- Beith I, Synnott RE, Newman SA. Abdominal muscle activity during the abdominal hollowing manoeuvre in the four point kneeling and prone positions. Man Ther. 2001;6(2):82-7. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.2000.0376
- Bergmark A. Stability of the lumbar spine: a study in mechanical engineering. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl. 1989;230: 1-54.
- Chon SC. Combination with ankle dorsiflexion in strengthening the transverse abdominal muscle in healthy young adults and patients with low back pain. Yonsei University. 2011.
- Grenier SG, McGill SM. Quantification of lumbar stability by using 2 different abdominal activation strategies. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88(1):54-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.10.014
- Ha Y, Lee GC, Bae WS, et al. The effect of abdominal muscle drawing-in exercise during bridging exercise on abdominal muscle thickness, using for real-time ultrasound imaging. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2013; 8(2):231-8. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.2.231
- Imai A, Kaneoka K, Okubo Y, et al. Trunk muscle activity during lumbar stabilization exercises on both a stable and unstable surface. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010;40(6):369-75. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2010.3211
- Jull GA, Richardson CA. Motor control problems in patients with spinal pain: A new direction for therapeutic exercise. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2000;23(2): 115-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-4754(00)90079-4
- Kim TY. The Effects of Spinal Stability Exercise Using the Sling and Mat. Korea Sport Res. 2005;16(6):273-80.
- Kendall FP, McCreary EK, Provance PG. Muscles testing and function(4THed). Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1993.
- Kisner C, Colby LA. Therapeutic exercise: foundations and techniques (5THed). Philadelphia, F.A. Davis, 2010.
- Lee GC, Bae WS, Kim CH. The effects of bridging exercise with contraction of hip adductor muscles on thickness of abdominal muscles. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2014;9(2):233-42. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.2.233
- Lee JM, Yi CH, Kwon OY et al. The effect of lumbar stabilization exercise for caregivers with chronic low back pain. Phys Ther Korea. 2011;18(2):9-17.
- Lee MH, Kim BK. Comparison of abdominal muscle activity after sling and swiss-ball exercises in asymptomatic adults. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2014;9(3):333-8. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.3.333
- Lehman GJ, Hoda W, Oliver S. Trunk muscle activity during bridging exercises on and off a Swiss ball. Chiropr Osteopat. 2005;30:14.
- Liebenson C. Functional stability training. Rehabilitation of the spine. A practitioner's manual (2NDed). Philadelphia, Lippincott. Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Maffey WL, Jull G, Wellington L. Toward a clinical test of lumbar spine kinesthesia. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;24(6):354-8. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.1684
- Magee DJ. Instability and Stabilization: Theory and treatment. 2nd Seminar Workbook, 1999.
- Marshall PW, Murphy BA. Core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ball. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86(2):242-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.05.004
- McGill SM. Low back stability: from formal description to issues for performance and rehabilitation. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2001;29(1):26-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003677-200101000-00006
- McGill SM, Grenier S, Kavcic N, et al. Coordination of muscle activity to assure stability of the lumbar spine. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2003;13(4):353-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(03)00043-9
- McGill SM, Karpowicz A. Exercises for spine stabilization : motion/motor patterns, stability progressions, and clinical technique. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90(1):118-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.06.026
- Neumann P, Gill V. Pelvic floor and abdominal muscle interaction: EMG activity and intra-abdominal pressure. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2002;13(2):125-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001920200027
- O'Sullivan PB. Lumbar segmental 'instability': Clinical presentation and specific stabilizing exercise management. Man Ther. 2000;5(1):2-12. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1999.0213
- O'Sullivan PB, Burnett A, Floyd AN, et al. Lumbar repositioning deficit in a specific low back pain population. Spine. 2003;28(10):1074-9.
- O'Sullivan PB, Twomey LT, Allison GT. Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of chronic low back pain with radiologic diagnosis of spondylosis or spondylolisthesis. Spine. 1997;22(24):2959-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020
- Richardson C, Jull G, Hodges P, et al. Therapeutic exercise for spinal segmental stabilization in low back pain: Scientific basis and clinical approach. Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
- Richardson C, Jull G, Toppenberg R, et al. Techniques for active lumbar stabilization for spinal protection: a pilot test. Aust J Physiother. 1992;38(2):105-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60555-9
- Saliba SA, Croy T, Guthrie R, et al. Differences in transverse abdominis activation with stable and unstable bridging exercises in individuals with low back pain. N Am J Sports Phys Ther. 2010;5(2):63-73.
- Son HH. Trunk muscle activation during bridging exercise with various shoulder supporting surfaces. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2015;10(3):299-304.
- Souza GM, Baker LL, Powers CM. Electromyographic activity of selected trunk muscles during dynamic spine stabilization exercises. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;82(11):1551-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.26082
- Stevens VK, Bouche KG, Mahieu NN, et al. Trunk muscle activity in healthy subjects during bridging stabilization exercises. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006;7(1):75. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-7-75
- Stevens VK, Coorevits PL, Bouche KG, et al. The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment pattern sin healthy subjects during stabilization exercises. Man Ther. 2007;12(3):271-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009
- Stuge B, Laerum E, Kirkesola G, et al. The efficacy of a treatment program focusing on specific stabilizing exercises for pelvic girdle pain after pregnancy, a randomized controlled trial spine. Spine. 2004; 29(4):351-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000090827.16926.1D
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Barbado D, Flores-Parodi B, et al. Trunk muscle activation in spine stabilization exercises. Revista Internacional de Medicina y Ciencias de la Actividad Fiisica y del Deporte. 2013;13(52):673-85.
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Grenier SG, McGill SM. Abdominal muscle response during curl-ups on both stable and labile surfaces. Phys Ther. 2000;80(6):564-9.
- Yun JH, Kim TS, Lee BK. The effects of combined complex exercise with abdominal drawing-in maneuver on expiratory abdominal muscles activation and forced fulmonary function for post stroke patients. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2013;8(4):513-23. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.4.513