- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of the Supplementary Ki-hap Technique and Verbal Encouragement on Abdominal Muscle Activation during Crunch Exercise in Healthy Subjects: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial
크런치 운동 시 부수적인 기합 기법과 청각적 격려 적용이 정상인의 복부 근육 활성도에 미치는 영향 : 무작위 대조 예비 연구
Kim, Hyung-Kun;Kim, Chang-Yong;Kang, Jeong-Hyeon;Kim, Hyeong-Dong
- Received : 2016.02.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.14
- Published : 2016.05.31
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of a supplementary Ki-hap technique and verbal encouragement on the activation of abdominal muscles during performance of crunch exercise in healthy subjects. METHODS: 93 subjects were randomly allocated to three group, crunch exercise group (CG), crunch exercise with Ki-hap group (CKG), and crunch exercise with Ki-hap and verbal encouragement group (CKVG), with 31 subjects in each group, respectively. The interventions were conducted over three trials in each group, and measurements were performed on each subject by one examiner in three trials. The activation of rectus abdominis (RA), external oblique (EO), and internal oblique (IO) muscles were evaluated using electromyography (EMG) during performance of crunch exercise with non-Ki-hap, Ki-hap and Ki-hap combined with verbal encouragement. RESULTS: Our results showed a significantly greater increase in the EMG patterns of all muscles during performance of crunch exercise in the CKG (p<0.05) compared to the CG and CKVG. The results also showed that there were significantly greater increase in the activation of EO and IO muscles in those of the CKVG (p<0.05) compared with the CG. CONCLUSION: These findings demonstrated that addition of the Ki-hap technique and verbal encouragement during performance of crunch exercise, at the same time, would suggest positive evidence for improving activation of abdominal muscles.
Abdominal muscle;Crunch exercise;Electromyography;Ki-hap;Verbal encouragement
- Andreacci JL., Lemura LM, Cohen SL, et al. The effects of frequency of encouragement on performance during maximal exercise testing. J Sports Sci. 2002;20(4): 345-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/026404102753576125
- Bang HS. The Effects of Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on Muscle Activity and Isokinetic Muscle Strength of Female Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2015;10(2):63-71.
- Boyd LA, Winstein CJ. Impact of explicit information on implicit motor-sequence learning following middle cerebral artery stroke. Phys Ther. 2003;83(11):976-89.
- Brody EB, Hatfield BD, Spalding TW, et al. The effect of a psyching strategy on neuromuscular activation and force production in strength-trained men. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2000;71(2):162-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.2000.10608894
- Chi zhang, John H.L. Hansen. Analysis andClassification of speech Mode: Whisperd Through Shouted. 8th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, Interspeech, 2007:4(4): 2396-9.
- Cho SH, Kim JH, Choi MH. The Effect of Short-term Lumbar Stabilization Exercise for Lumbar Muscle Strength and Postural Balance on Chronic LBP. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2013;8(3):295-302. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.3.295
- Cram JR, Kasman GS, Holt J. Electrode placement. Introduction to Surface Electromyography. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishers: 2000;237-383.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG et al. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods. 2007:39(2):175-91. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Hardy L, Jones JG, Gould D. Understanding psychological preparation for sport: Theory and practice of elite performers. John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1996:43-72.
- Hodges PW. Is there a role for transversus abdominis in lumbo-pelvic sability. Man Ther. 1999;4(2):74-86. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1999.0169
- Hwang BJ, Kim JW. Effects of Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on Lumbar and Lower Extremity Strength of the Elderly women. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2011; 8(3):267-75.
- Jeong IS, Oh CH, Lee DJ, et al. A Study on H-reflex Change and MVIC Change Depending upon Shouting Type. Kor J of Sport Biomecha. 2009;19(4):655-61. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.4.655
- John EK, Beith ID. Can activity within the external abdominal oblique be measured using real-time ultrasound imaging? Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2007;22(9): 972-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2007.07.005
- Juker D, McGill S, Kropf P, et al. Quantitative intramuscular myoelecric activity of lumbar portions of psoas and the abdominal wall during a wide variety of tasks. Med.Sci.Sports Exerc.1998;30,301-10.
- Kang KH, Yun JK. The Effects of shouting on Motor Neural Adaptation and Maximum Isometric Contraction. Kor J of Sports Sci. 2001;12(4):85-98.
- Kim CY, Kim HD. The Effect of Supplementary Shouting Technique on Muscle Activity to Rectus Abdominis and External Oblique During Crunch Exercise in Healthy Subjects. J Kor Phys Ther. 2015:27(1):1-6.
- Kim YS. What does Ki-hap mean to trainers in martial arts. KAHPERD. 2004;43(3):41-5.
- Klein RG, Eek BC. Low-energy laser treatment and exercise for chronic low back pain: double-blind controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990;71(1):34-7.
- Lee GW, Yoon TL, Kim KS et al. EMG Activity of Abdominal Muscle During Lumbopelvic Stabilization Exercises. Phys Ther Korea. 2014;21(2):1-7.
- Ng JK, Kippers V, Richardson CA. Muscle fiber orientation of abdominal muscles and suggested surface EMG electrode positions. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1997;38(1):51-8.
- Norris CM. Abdominal muscle training in sport. Br J Sports Med. 1993;27(1):19-27. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.27.1.19
- O'Sullivan PB, Twomet L. Allison GT. Altered abdominal muscle recruiment in patient with chronic back pain following a specific exercise intervention. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;27(2):114-23. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.168
- Perkins D, Wilson GV, Kerr JH. The effects of elevated arousal and mood on maximal strength performance in athletes. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2001;13:239-59. https://doi.org/10.1080/104132001753144392
- Richardson CA, Hides JA, Wilson S, et al. Lumbo-pelvic joint protection against antigravity forces: motor control and segmental stiffness assessed with magnetic resonance imaging. J Gravit Physiol. 2004;11(2): 119-22.
- Richardson CA, Jull G, Hodes J. Theraputic exercises for spinal segmental stabilization in low back pain. London Churchill Livingston. 1999:992-1001.
- Stokes IA, Henry SM, Single RM. Surface EMG electrodes do not accurately record from lumbar multifidus muscles. Clin Biomech (Bristol,Avon). 2003;18(1): 9-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00140-7
- Tedeschi M. Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. Trumbull, CT: Weatherhill Inc. 2000;188-93.
- Welch AS, Tschampl M. Something to shout about: a simple, quick performance enhancement technique improved strength in both experts and novices. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2012;24(4):418-28.
- Effects of Heel Contact Methods of Stair Ascent on Abdominal Muscle Activation in Healthy Subjects: A Cross-Sectional Pilot Study vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.1.1
- Influence of Supplementary Verbal Encouragement According to the Gender on Abdominal Muscle Activation during Crunch Exercise in Healthy Subjects: A Cross-Sectional Pilot Study vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.1.15