- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Physical Activity Program for Elderly with Dementia on Cognitive Function: Meta-Analysis of Studies in Korea
치매노인을 위한 신체활동 프로그램이 인지기능에 미치는 영향 : 국내연구의 메타 분석
Lee, Han-Suk;Park, Yoo-Jung
- Received : 2016.04.23
- Accepted : 2016.05.02
- Published : 2016.05.31
PURPOSE: Many studies have reported the improvement of cognition through physical activity among subject with dementia. This study aimed to whether the current studies supports that physical activity intervention is efficacious on cognitive performance in subject with dementia. METHODS: Two independent reviewers searched National assembly library, RISS, KISS (2005-2015) using the concepts of dementia, exercise, and physical activity. We included randomized controlled trials that examined the efficacy of physical activity in subject with dementia. A meta-analysis was performed to estimate the effect sizes cognition with CMA (Comprehensive Meta-Analysis, version 2.2.064) soft-ware program. Nine randomized controlled trials were included, providing data from 133 individuals and excluding those failing to criteria of this study. RESULTS: The meta-analysis showed that physical activity intervention had a rather small effect sizes of 0.36 (95% confidence interval 0.14-0.59) on cognition performance in subject with dementia. Outcome measurement were MMSE-K (Mini-mental state examination Korean version) and LOCTA (Loewenstein Occupational Therapy Cognitive Assessment). We found heterogeneous among studies and there was difference between the studies (Q = 19.63, d(f)=12,
- Bond M, Rogers G, Peters J, et al. The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine and memantine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review and economic model. Health Technol Assess. 2012;16(21):1-470
- Bozoki A, Radovanovic AM, Winn B, et al. Effects of a computer-based cognitive exercise program on agerelated cognitive decline. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2013;57(1):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2013.02.009
- Bossers WJR, van der Woude LHV, Boersma F, et al. A 9 week aerobic and strength training program improves cognitive and motor function in patients with dementia: a randomized, controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015;23(11):1106-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2014.12.191
- Cohen, J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Assocates. 1988.
- de Melo Coelho FG, Gobbi S, Andreatto CAA et al. Physical exercise modulates peripheral levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor: A systematic review of experimental studies in the elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2013; 56:10-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.06.003
- Cheng ST, Chow PK, Song YQ, et al. Mental and physical activities delay cognitive decline in older persons with dementia. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014;22(1): 63-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2013.01.060
- Cho SH, Kim SJ. The effects 12 weeks of combined exercise programs on activities of daily living and quality of living index in the vascular dementia elders. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2010;5(4):633-44.
- Duval S, Tweedie R. Trim and fill: a simple funnel-plot-based method of testing and adjusting for publication bias in meta-analysis. Biometrics. 2000;56:455-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0006-341X.2000.00455.x
- Eggermont LHP, Knol DL, Hol EM, et al. Hand motor activity, cognition, mood, and the rest-activity rhythm in dementia: a clustered RCT. Behav Brain Resh. 2009;196(2):271-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2008.09.012
- Farina N, Rusted J, Tabet N. The effect of exercise interventions on cognitive outcome in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review. Int Psychogeriatr. 2014;26:9-18,
- Groot C, Hooghiemstra AM, Raijmakers PGHM, et al. The effect of physical activity on cognitive function in patients with dementia: a meta-analysis of randomized control trials. Ageing Res Rev. 2016;25:13-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2015.11.005
- Heyn P, Abreu BC, Ottenbacher KJ. The effects of exercise training on elderly persons with cognitive impairment and dementia: a meta-analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehanil. 2004;85(10):1694-1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.03.019
- Jo AR. A meta-analysis on the effect of music therapy for dementia. Master's Degree. Sookmyung Women's University. 2015.
- Kim SA. The effects of BeHaS exercise program on muscle strength and flexibility in institutionalized elders. J Muscle Joint Health. 2011;18(1):93-102. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.1.093
- Lee JH, Kand JH, Lee HM. Feasibility of using the nintendo wii game for a dementia. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2011;6(2):225-33.
- Ngandu T, Lehtisalo J, Solomon A, et al. A 2 year multidomain intervention of diet, exercise, cognitive training, and vascular risk monitoring versus control to prevent cognitive decline in at-risk elderly people(FINGER): a randomized controlled trial. The Lancet. 2015;385 (9984):2255-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60461-5
- Park KY. The effectiveness of intervention for individuals with dementia: a qualitative meta-analysis. OTAD. 2009;3(2):23-32.
- Song BN, Kang JH, Lee JS. A meta-analysis on the effects of occupational therapy program intervention for dementia in the community. J Korean SOC. Occup. Ther. 2015;23(1):53-71.
- Strohle A, Schmidt DK, Schultz F. et al. Drug and exercise treatment of Alzheimer disease and mild cognitive impairment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of effects on cognition in randomized controlled trials. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015;23(12):1234-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2015.07.007
- Venturelli M, Scarsini R, Chena F. Six-month walking program changes cognitive and ADL performance in patients with Alzheimer. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2011;26:381-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1533317511418956
- The Effect of Sciatic Nerve Mobilization on SLR Angle and Gait Ability of Elderly Women vol.12, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.4.11
- The Reliability of Balance, Gait, and Muscle Strength Test for the Elderly with Dementia: A Systematic Review vol.12, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.3.49