- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Correlation Between Muscle Strength, Pulmonary Function and Respiratory Muscle in Children with Cerebral Palsy
뇌성마비 아동의 근력과 호흡기능의 상관관계
Shin, Seung-Oh;Kim, Nan-Su
- Received : 2016.05.10
- Accepted : 2016.05.11
- Published : 2016.05.31
PURPOSE: This study was conducted to determine correlations between grip and lower limb muscle strength and pulmonary function and respiratory muscle in children with cerebral palsy. METHODS: Subjects were 17 children with cerebral palsy. Inclusion criteria for participation were having GMFCS from I to III grade and ability to independently blow into a spirometer. Pulmonary function and respiratory muscle were measured with a spirometer. All subjects performed maximal expiratory flow maneuvers using a spirometer in order to determine their forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1), forced vital capacity (FVC), peak expiratory flow (PEF) and FEV1/FVC, and maximum inspiratory pressure (MIP) and maximum expiratory pressure (MEP). Muscle strength was measured in terms of grip strength and lower limb muscle strength in terms of knee extension strength with a dynamometer and manual digital muscle tester respectively. Data were analyzed using Person product correlation. RESULTS: Grip strength significantly positively correlated with FVC (r=0.95, p<0.01), FEV1 (r=0.95, p<0.01), PEF (r=0.84, p<0.01), MIP (r=0.65, p<0.01) MEP (r=0.71, p<0.01) and lower limb strength with FVC (r=0.72, p<0.01), FEV1 (r=0.69, p<0.01), PEF (r=0.54, p<0.05), and MEP (r=0.69, p<0.01). CONCLUSION: Grip and lower limb muscle strengths of children with cerebral palsy were positively correlated pulmonary function and respiratory muscle.
Cerebral palsy;Grip strength;Pulmonary function;Quadriceps muscle strength;Respiratory muscle
- Bahat G, Tufan A, Ozkaya H, et al. Relation between hand grip strength, respiratory muscle strength and spirometric measures in male nursing home residents. Aging Male. 2014;17(3):136-40. https://doi.org/10.3109/13685538.2014.936001
- Bax M, Goldstein M, Rosenbaum P, et al. Proposed definition and classification of cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2005;47(8):571-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S001216220500112X
- Bolser DC, Reier PJ. Inspiratory and expiratory patterns of the pectoralis major muscle during pulmonary defensive reflexes. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1998;85(5): 1786-92. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19188.8.131.526
- Burtner PA, Qualls C, Woollacott MH. Muscle activation characteristics of stance balance control in children with spastic cerebral palsy. 1998;1879-2219.
- Choi YC, Park SJ, Lee MH, et al. The effects of trunk muscle strengthening exercises on balance performance of sitting posture and upper extremity function of children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. J Korean soc phys med. 2013;8(1):117-25. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.1.117
- Crystal RG. The lung: Scientific foundations: Lippincott-Raven. 1997.
- Czaplinski A, Yen AA, Appel SH. Forced vital capacity (fvc) as an indicator of survival and disease progression in an als clinic population. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77(3):390-2.
- Davies PM, Klein-Vogelbach S. Right in the middle: Selective trunk activity in the treatment of adult hemiplegia: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 1990.
- De Troyer A, Deisser P. The effects of intermittent positive pressure breathing on patients with respiratory muscle weakness. American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1981;124(2):132-7.
- Dempsey JA, Romer L, Rodman J, et al. Consequences of exercise-induced respiratory muscle work. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2006a;151(2-3):242-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resp.2005.12.015
- Dempsey JA. Is the healthy respiratory system (always) built for exercise. The Journal of Physiology. 2006b;576(2): 339-40. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.2006.117630
- Derenne JP, Macklem PT, Roussos C. The respiratory muscles: Mechanics, control, and pathophysiology. Part iii. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1978;118(3):581-601.
- Dodd KJ, Taylor NF, Damiano DL. A systematic review of the effectiveness of strength-training programs for people with cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002;83(8):1157-64. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.34286
- Enright PL, Kronmal RA, Manolio TA, et al. Respiratory muscle strength in the elderly. Correlates and reference values. Cardiovascular health study research group. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149(2):430-8. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.149.2.8306041
- Ersoz M, Selcuk B, Gunduz R, et al. Decreased chest mobility in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Turk J Pediatr. 2006;48(4):344-50.
- Galley PM, Foster AL. Human movement. London: Churchill Livingston. 1987.
- Hodges PW, Richardson CA. Contraction of the abdominal muscles associated with movement of the lower limb. Phys Ther. 1997;77(2):132-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132
- Jeon JY. Effects of the trunk muscle strengthening exercise and using the trunk belt on pulmonary function and trunk control ability for children with spastic cerebral palsy. Master's Degree. Daejeon University. 2014.
- Jeon SC. Respiratory muscle strength and cough capacity in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Master's Degree. Yonsei University. 2007.
- Ju C, Chen R. Factors associated with impairment of quadriceps muscle function in chinese patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. PLoS One. 2014;9(2): e84167. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0084167
- Kim JS, Shin WS. The effects of respiratory muscle strengthening training on pulmonary function and gait ability in subacute stroke patients. J Korean soc phys med. 2013;8(4):489-96. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.4.489
- Kim MK, Cho MS, Hwang BG. The efficacy of pulmonary rehabilitation using air stacking exercise in cervical cord injured patients. J Korean soc phys med. 2010; 5(4):597-604.
- Knox V, Evans AL. Evaluation of the functional effects of a course of bobath therapy in children with cerebral palsy: A preliminary study. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2002;44(7):447-60.
- Kobesova A, Dzvonik J, Kolar P, et al. Effects of shoulder girdle dynamic stabilization exercise on hand muscle strength. Isokinetics and Exercise Science. 2015;23(1):21-32.
- Kuzala EA, Vargo MC. The relationship between elbow position and grip strength. Am J Occup Ther. 1992;46(6): 509-12. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.46.6.509
- Kwon YH, Lee HY. Differences of respiratory function in children with spastic diplegic and hemiplegic cerebral palsy, compared with normally developed children. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2013;6(2):113-7.
- Lee EJ, Kim JS. The changes of gross motor function and balance ability in children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy by trunk muscle strengthening exercise : Single group repeated easure study. J Korean soc phys med. 2011;6(2):189-97.
- Maltais F, LeBlanc P, Whittom F, et al. Oxidative enzyme activities of the vastus lateralis muscle and the functional status in patients with copd. Thorax. 2000;55(10):848-53. https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.55.10.848
- McGill SM, Grenier S, Kavcic N, et al. Coordination of muscle activity to assure stability of the lumbar spine. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2003;13(4):353-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(03)00043-9
- Neumann DA. Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system: Foundations for physical rehabilitation: Mosby. 2002.
- Nicholson JH, Morton RE, Attfield S, et al. Assessment of upper-limb function and movement in children with cerebral palsy wearing lycra garments. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2001;43(6):384-91. https://doi.org/10.1017/S001216220100072X
- Park JH. Chest wall growth patterns in children with quadriplegic cerebral palsy. Master's Degree. Yonsei University. 2005.
- Park YR. The effects of trunk muscle training by ball exercise program on respiration in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Master's Degree. Daegu University. 2006.
- Rantanen T, Era P, Kauppinen M, et al. Maximal isometric muscle strength and socioeconomic status, health, and physical activity in 75-year-old persons. J Aging Phys Act. 1994;2(3):206-20. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.2.3.206
- Rutb sk. Normal development of functional motor skills. 1993.
- Schlough K, Nawoczenski D, Case LE, et al. The effects of aerobic exercise on endurance, strength, function and self-perception in adolescents with spastic cerebral palsy: A report of three case studies. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2005;17(4):234-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pep.0000186508.35880.6c
- Seymour JM, Moore L, Jolley CJ, et al. Outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation following acute exacerbations of copd. Thorax. 2010;65(5):423-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.124164
- Shah S, Nahar P, Vaidya S, et al. Upper limb muscle strength & endurance in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2013;138(4): 492-6.
- Singer J, Yelin EH, Katz PP, et al. Respiratory and skeletal muscle strength in copd: Impact on exercise capacity and lower extremity function. Journal of cardiopulmonary rehabilitation and prevention. 2011; 31(2): 111-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/HCR.0b013e3182033663
- Stevens VK, Coorevits PL, Bouche KG, et al. The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment patterns in healthy subjects during stabilization exercises. Manual therapy. 2007;12(3):271-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009
- Swallow EB, Reyes D, Hopkinson NS, et al. Quadriceps strength predicts mortality in patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax. 2007;62(2):115-20. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2006.062026
- Swanney MP, Ruppel G, Enright PL, et al. Using the lower limit of normal for the fev1/fvc ratio reduces the misclassification of airway obstruction. Thorax. 2008;63(12):1046-51. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2008.098483
- Toder DS. Respiratory problems in the adolescent with developmental delay. Adolesc Med. 2000;11(3): 617-31.
- Van't Hul A, Harlaar J, Gosselink R, et al. Quadriceps muscle endurance in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Muscle Nerve. 2004;29(2):267-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10552
- Youn BY. The training effect of respiration and articulatory function in cerebral palsied children. Master's Degree. Daegu University. 1990.