- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of soil physical properties on infiltration rate
- Sajjadi, Sayed-Abdul-Hamid ;
- Mirzaei, Maryam ;
- Nasab, Afsaneh Fayyaz ;
- Ghezelje, Amin ;
- Tadayonfar, Gholamreza ;
- Sarkardeh, Hamed
- Received : 2015.03.31
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.06.25
Excessive rainfall can cause runoff flows over the soil surface and as a consequence some amount of water will infiltrate into the soil. From a hydrologic modeling perspective it is necessary to estimate infiltration rate in order to calculate the actual runoff discharge. There are many parameters that can affect the infiltration rate such as soil texture, moisture and compaction. However, the most common equations used in hydrological calculations for estimating the infiltration rate do not consider the soil properties directly and estimate infiltration rate without any soil properties expressions. The purpose of this research was to investigate the relations between infiltration rate and soil texture, moisture and compaction. To achieve this purpose an experimental study was performed to show the effect of soil properties and their relations on infiltration rate by using non-linear regression.
infiltration rate;hydrological calculation;soil texture;soil moisture;soil compaction
- AL-Kayssi, A.W. and Mustafa, S.H. (2015), "Modeling gypsifereous soil infiltration rate under different sprinkler application rates and successive irrigation events", Agri. Water Manage., 163, 66-74.
- Arsyad, S. (2010), Water and Soil Conservation, (2nd Edition), IPB Press, Bogor, Indonesia.
- Liebig, M.A., Jones, A.J., Mielke, L.N. and Doran, J.W. (1993), "Controlled wheel traffic effects on soil properties in ridge tillage", Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 57(4), 1061-1066. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1993.03615995005700040030x
- Lili, M., Bralts, V.F., Yinghua, P., Han, L. and Tingwu, L. (2008), "Methods for measuring soil infiltration: State of the art", Int. J. Agric. Biol. Eng., 1(1), 22-30.
- Mao, L., Li, Y., Hao, W., Mei, X., Bralts, V.F., Li, H., Guo, R. and Lei, T. (2015), "An approximate point source method for soil infiltration process measurement", Geoderma, 264, 10-16.
- Menon, M., Jia, X., Lair, G.J., Faraj, P.H. and Blaud, A. (2015), "Analysing the impact of compaction of soil aggregates using X-ray microtomography and water flow simulations", Soil Tillage Res., 150, 147-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2015.02.004
- Mohammadzadeh-Habili, J. and Heidarpour, M. (2015), "Application of the Green-Ampt model for infiltration into layered soils", J. Hydrol., 527, 824-832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.05.052
- Mousavi, S.F., Kamyab-Talesh, F., Yazdani, M.R. and Saghaian-Nejad, S.H. (2011), "Spatial variation of infiltration rate and compactness in paddy fields", Paddy Water Environ., 9(4), 385-392. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-011-0269-z
- Mossadeghi-Bjorklunda, M., Arvidsson, J., Keller, T., Koestel, J., Lamandé, M., Larsbo, M. and Jarvis, N. (2015), "Effects of subsoil compaction on hydraulic properties and preferential flow in a Swedish clay soil", Soil Tillage Res., 156, 91-98.
- Neshat, A. and Parehkar, M. (2007), "Comparison of the methods of determination of vertical soil water infiltration rate in the soil", J. Natural Resour. Agric., 14(3), 1-10.
- Radcliffe, D.E. and Rasmussen, T.C. (2000), Soil Water Movement, Hand Book of Soil Science, (M.E. Sumner), C.R.C. Press.
- Raper, R.L. and Kirby, J.M. (2006), "Soil compaction: How to do it, undo it, or avoid it", Proceedings of Agricultural Equipment Technology Conference, Louisville, KY, USA, February, pp. 1-14.
- Hasrullah (2009), "Study on impacts of rainwater infiltration on stability of slope", J. Tech. Sci. - Syst., 5(2), 5-13.
- Horton, R.E. (1933), "The role of infiltration in the hydrologic cycle", EOS Trans. AGU, 14(1), 446-460. https://doi.org/10.1029/TR014i001p00446
- Horton, R., Ankeny, M.D. and Allmaras, R.R. (1994), Effect of Compaction on Soil Hydraulic Properties, Soil Compaction in Crop Production, Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterdam, the Netherlands, pp, 479-500.
- Imhoff, S., Da Silva, A.P. and Fallow, D. (2004), "Susceptibility to compaction, load support capacity, and soil compressibility of Hapludox", Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 68(1), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2004.1700
- Gregory, J.H., Dukes, M.D., Jones, P.H. and Miller, G.L. (2006), "Effect of urban soil compaction on infiltration rate", J. Soil Water Conservation, 61(3), 117-124.
- Kadir, S., Rayes, M.L., Ruslan, M. and Kusuma, Z. (2013), "Infiltration to control flood vulnerability. A case study of rubber plantation of DayakDeah Community in Negara sub-watershed, South Kalimantan province", Acad. Res. Int., 4(5), 1-13.
- Kay, B.D., Da Silva, A.P. and Baldock, J.A. (1997), "Sensitivity of soil structure to changes in organic carbon content, Predictions using pedo transfer functions", Can. J. Soil Sci., 77(4), 655-667. https://doi.org/10.4141/S96-094
- Khatri, K.L. and Smith, R.J. (2005), "Evaluation of methods for determining infiltration parameters from irrigation advance data", Irrig. Drain., 54, 467-482. https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.198
- Kostiakov, A.N. (1932), "On the dynamics of the coefficient of water percolation in soils and on the necessity of studying it from a dynamic point of view for purposes of amelioration", Trans. Comm. Int. Soc. Soil. Sci., Part A, pp. 17-21.
- Lado, M., Ben-Hur, M. and Assouline, S. (2005), "Effects of Effluent Irrigation on Seal Formation, Infiltration, and Soil Loss during Rainfall", Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 69(5), 1432-1439. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2004.0387
- Yuxia, L., Tullberg, J.N. and Freebairn, D.M. (2001), "Traffic and residue cover effects on infiltration", Aust. J. Soil Res., 39(2), 239-247. https://doi.org/10.1071/SR00017
- Tesanis, I.K. (2006), "Modeling leachate contamination and remediation of groundwater at a landfill site", Water Resour. Manage., 20(1), 109-132. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-006-4634-4
- Wang, G., Fang, Q., Wu, B., Yang, H. and Xu, Z. (2015), "Relationship between soil erodibility and modeled infiltration rate in different soils", J. Hydrol., 528, 408-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.06.044
- Xianliang, Y. and Yunsheng, C. (1986), Soil Physics, China Agricultural Press, Beijing, China..
- Yang, J. and Zhang, G. (2011), "Water infiltration in urban soils and its effects on the quantity and quality of runoff", J. Soils Sediments, 11(5), 751-761. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11368-011-0356-1
- Latorre, B., Pena, C., Lassabatere, L., Angulo-Jaramillo, R. and Angulo-Jaramillo, D. (2015), "Estimate of soil hydraulic properties from disc infiltrometer three-dimensional infiltration curve. Numerical analysis and field application", J. Hydrol., 527, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.04.015
- Yansheng, W. (1992), Engineering Hydrology. China Water Power Press, Beijing, China.
- Asdak, C. (2004), Hydrology and Watershed Management (Hidrologidan Pengelolaandaerah Aliran Sungai), Gadjah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Ayu, I.W., Prijono, S. and Soemarno (2013), "Assessment of infiltration rate under different drylands types in unter-iwessubdistrict Sumbawa besar, Indonesia", J. Natural Sci. Res., 3(10), 10-29.
- Campbell, G.S. (1985), Soil Physics with BASIC, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA.
- Dagadu, J.S. and Nimbalkar, P.T. (2012), "Infiltration studies of different soils under different soil conditions and comparison of infiltration models with field data", IJAET, 3(2), 154-157.
- Diamond, J. and Shanley, T. (2013), "Infiltration rate assessment of some major soils", Irish Geography, 36(1), 32-46.
- Ekwue, E.I. and Stone, R.J. (1995), "Organic matter effects on the strength properties of compacted agricultural soils", Transact. ASAE, 38(2), 357-365. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.27804
- Hamza, M.A. and Anderson, W.K. (2005), "Soil compaction in cropping systems: A review of the nature, causes and possible solutions", Soil Tillage Res., 82(2), 121-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2004.08.009
- Raghunath, H.M. (2006), Hydrology, Principles-Analysis-Design, New Age International Publisher, New Delhi, India.
- Comparing SSURGO Data with Geospatial Field Measurements to Estimate Soil Texture and Infiltration Rate Classes in Glaciated Soils vol.48, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00103624.2017.1341916