- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Prediction of load transfer depth for cost-effective design of ground anchors using FBG sensors embedded tendon and numerical analysis
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.06.25
The load transfer depth of a ground anchor is the minimum length required to transfer the initial prestressing to the grout column through the bonded part. A thorough understanding of the mechanism of load transfer as well as accurate prediction of the load transfer depth are essential for designing an anchorage that has an adequate factor of safety and satisfies implicit economic criteria. In the current research, experimental and numerical studies were conducted to investigate the load transfer mechanism of ground anchors based on a series of laboratory and field load tests. Optical FBG sensors embedded in the central king cable of a seven-wire strand were successfully employed to monitor the changes in tensile force and its distribution along the tendons. Moreover, results from laboratory and in-situ pullout tests were compared with those from equivalent case studies simulated using the finite difference method in the FLAC 3D program. All the results obtained from the two proposed methods were remarkably consistent with respect to the load increments. They were similar not only in trend but also in magnitude and showed more consistency at higher pullout loading stages, especially the final loading stage. Furthermore, the estimated load transfer depth demonstrated a pronounced dependency on the surrounding ground condition, being shorter in hard ground conditions and longer in weaker ones. Finally, considering the safety factor and cost-effective design, the required bonded length of a ground anchor was formulated in terms of the load transfer depth.
ground anchors;laboratory and field tests;FBG sensors;numerical analysis;load transfer depth
- Lu, D.H. (2012), "Numerical approach for the mechanical behavior of fully grouted anchorage system subjected to pullout test", Electron. J. Geotech. Eng., 17, 531-543.
- Moerman, W., Taerwe, L., Waele, W.D., Degrieck, J. and Himpe, J. (2005), "Measuring ground anchor forces of a quay wall with bragg sensors", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 131(2), 322-328. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(322)
- Schroeck, M., Ecke, W. and Graupner, A. (2000), "Strain monitoring in steel rock bolts using FBG sensor arrays", Proceedings of the SPIE 4074, Glasgow, United Kingdom, May.
- Shields, D.R., Schnabel, H. and Weatherby, D.E. (1978), "Load transfer in pressure injected anchors", J. Geotech. Eng. Div., 104(9), 1183-1196.
- Wei, W.B. and Cheng, Y.M. (2010), "Soil nailed slope by strength reduction and limit equilibrium method", J. Comput. Geotech., 37(5), 602-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2010.03.008
- Xanthakos, P.P. (1991), Ground Anchor and Anchored Structures, A Wiley-Inter-Science Publication.
- Kim, Y.S., Sung, H.J., Kim, H.W. and Kim, J.M. (2011), "Monitoring of tension force and load transfer of groundanchor by using optical FBG sensors embedded tendon", Smart Struct. Syst., Int. J., 7(4), 303-317. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2011.7.4.303
- Kim, Y.S., Do, T.M. and Jung, S.H. (2013), "Modelling of load transfer measured from smart tendon embedded ground anchors with finite difference method", Proceedings of KSCE Conference 2013, Seoul, Korea, June, pp. 969-972.
- Aliciuc, C.L. and Musat, V. (2013), "Indentification of soil models by simulation of ground anchor tests, using FEM", Buletinul Institutului Politehnic din lasi. Sectia Constructii, Arhitectura, 59(4), 145 p.
- Aydan, O., Ebisu, S. and Komura, S. (1993), "Pull-out tests of rock anchors and their failure modes", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Assessment and Prevention of Failure Phenomena in Rock Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, April, pp. 285-293.
- Aydan, O., Komura, S., Ebisu, S. and Kawamato, T. (1995), "A unified design method for anchor foundations of super-high pylons", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rock Foundation, Tokyo, Japan, September.
- Benmokrane, B., Chekired, M. and Xu, H. (1995), "Monitoring behavior of grouted anchors using vibratingwire gauges", J. Geotech. Eng., 121(6), 466-475. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1995)121:6(466)
- Lee, W.J., Lee, W.J., Lee, S.B. and Salgado, R. (2004), "Measurement of pile load transfer using the Fiber Bragg Grating sensor system", Can. Geotech. J., 41(6), 1222-1232. https://doi.org/10.1139/t04-059
- Look, B. (2007), Handbook of Geotechnical Investigation and Design Tables, Taylor & Francis/Balkema, Netherlands.
- Cornelia, S.H., Tilmann, S., Marcel, N., Gnter, B., Robert, L., Christoph, B. and Wolfgang, S. (2003), "Strain measurements by fiber Bragg grating sensors for in situ pile loading tests", Proceedings of the SPIE 5050, San Diego, CA, USA, March.
- Farmer, I.W. (1975), "Stress distribution along a resin grouted rock anchor", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. Geomech. Abstr., 12(11), 347-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(75)90168-0
- Gupta, B.D. (2006), Fiber Optic Sensors: Principles and Applications, New India Publishing, New Delhi, ND, India.
- Itasca Consulting Group (2006), FLAC 3D Fast Lagrangian Analysis of Continua User's and Theory Manuals, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
- Ivanovic, A. and Neilson, R.D. (2009), "Modelling of debonding along the fixed anchor length", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 46(4), 699-707. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2008.09.008
- Kesavan, K., Ravisankar, K., Parivallal, S. and Sreeshylam, P. (2005), "Applications of fiber optic sensors for structural health monitoring", Smart Struct. Syst., Int. J., 1(4), 355-368. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2005.1.4.355
- Kim, J.M., Kim, Y.S., Kim, H.W., Seo, D.N. and Yun, C.B. (2007a), "Development of smart tendon instrumented with optical FBG sensors", J. Computat. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 20(2), 121.
- Kim, N.K., Park, J.S. and Kim, S.K. (2007b), "Numerical simulation of ground anchors", Comput. Geotech., 34(6), 498-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2006.09.002
- Kim, Y.S., Seo, D.N. and Kim, J.M. (2008), "Development and application of a smart anchor with optical FBG sensors", Proceedings of KGS Spring National Conference 2008, Seoul, Korea, March, pp. 393-398.
- Kim, Y.S., Seo, D.N., Kim, J.M. and Sung, H.J. (2009), "Load Transfer Characteristics of the 7-wire strand using FBG Sensor Embedded Smart Tendon", J. Korea Soc. Hazard Mitig., 9(5), 79-86.
- Chang, D.W., Cheng, S.H. and Lee, W.-F. (2008), "Simulation and interpretation of ground anchor failures from acoustic monitoring test", Proceedings of the 3rd Taiwan-Japan Joint Workshop on Geotechnical Natural Hazards, Keelung, Taiwan, October.
- A Review of Rock Bolt Monitoring Using Smart Sensors vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17040776
- Study on the Optimal Groove Shape and Glue Material for Fiber Bragg Grating Measuring Bolts vol.18, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18061799
- Assessing the Difference in Measuring Bolt Stress: A Comparison of Two Optical Fiber Sensing Techniques vol.2018, pp.1687-7268, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7582605
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean