- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental and numerical analyses on determination of indirect (splitting) tensile strength of cemented paste backfill materials under different loading apparatus
- Received : 2015.04.03
- Accepted : 2016.03.01
- Published : 2016.06.25
The indirect tensile strengths (ITSs) of different cemented paste backfill mixes with different curing times were determined by considering crack initiation and fracture toughness concepts under different loading conditions of steel loading arcs with various contact angles, flat platens and the standard Brazilian test jaw. Because contact area of the ITS test discs developes rapidly and varies in accordance with the deformability, ITSs of curing materials were not found convenient to determine under the loading apparatus with indefinite contact angle. ITS values increasing with an increase in contact angle can be measured to be excessively high because of the high contact angles resulted from the deformable characteristics of the soft paste backfill materials. As a result of the change of deformation characteristics with the change of curing time, discs have different contact conditions causing an important disadvantage to reflect the strength change due to the curing reactions. In addition to the experimental study, finite element analyses were performed on several types of disc models under various loading conditions. As a result, a comparison between all loading conditions was made to determine the best ITSs of the cemented paste backfill materials. Both experimental and numerical analyses concluded that loading arcs with definite contact angles gives better results than those obtained with the other loading apparatus without a definite contact angle. Loading arcs with the contact angle of
tensile strength;indirect tensile strength test;splitting method;Brazilian test;paste backfill;finite element analyses
- Akazawa, T. (1943), "New test method for evaluating internal stress due to compression of concrete (the splitting tension test) (part 1)", J. Japan Soc. Civil Eng., 29, 777-787.
- Aono, Y., Tani, K., Okada, T. and Sakai, M. (2012), "Failure mechanism of the specimen in the splitting tensile strength test", Proceedings of the 7th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium, Seoul, South Korea, October, pp. 615-623.
- Ashour, H.A. (1988), "A compressive strength criterion for anisotropic rock materials", Can. Geotech. J., 25(2), 233-237. https://doi.org/10.1139/t88-027
- Barla, G. and Innaurato, N. (1973), "Indirect tensile testing of anisotropic rocks", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 5(4), 215-230.
- Carneiro, F.L.L.B. (1943), "A new method to determine the tensile strength of concrete", Proceedings of the 5th Meeting of the Brazilian Association for Technical Rules, Brazil, September, pp. 126-129. [In Portuguese]
- Chen, R. and Stimpson, B. (1993), "Interpretation of indirect tensile strength when moduli of deformation in compression and in tension are different", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 26(2), 183-189. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01023622
- Emad, M.Z., Mitri, H. and Kelly C. (2015), "State-of-the-art review of backfill practices for sublevel stoping system", Int. J. Min. Reclam. Environ., 29(6), 544-556. DOI: 10.1080/17480930.2014.889363 https://doi.org/10.1080/17480930.2014.889363
- Erarslan, N. and Williams, D.J. (2012), "Experimental, numerical and analytical studies on tensile strength of rocks", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 49, 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.11.007
- Erarslan, N., Liang, Z.Z. and Williams. D.J. (2012), "Experimental and Numerical Studies on Determination of Indirect Tensile Strength of Rocks", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 45(5), 739-751.
- Fairbairn, E.M.R. and Ulm, J.F. (2002), "A tribute to Fernando L.L.B. Carneiro (1913-2001) Engineer and Scientist who invented the Brazilian Test", Mater. Struct., 35, 195-196.
- Fairhurst, C. (1964), "On the validity of the 'Brazilian' test for brittle materials", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 1(4), 535-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(64)90060-9
- Li, L. and Aubertin, M. (2002), "A crack-induced stress approach to describe the tensile strength of transversely isotropic rocks", Can. Geotech. J., 39(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1139/t01-069
- Markides, C.F. and Kourkoulis, S.K. (2013), "Naturally accepted boundary conditions for the Brazilian Disc Test and the corresponding stress field", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 46(5), 959-980. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-012-0351-x
- ISRM (1978), "International society for rock mechanics suggested methods for determining tensile strength of rock materials", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. Geomech. Abstr., 15, 99-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(78)90003-7
- Jaeger, J.C. and Cook, N.G.W. (1976), Fundamentals of Rock Mechanics, Chapman and Hall, London, UK.
- Jianhong, Y. and Wu, F.Q. and Sun, J.Z. (2009), "Estimation of the tensile elastic modulus using Brazilian disc by applying diametrically opposed concentrated loads", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 46(3), 568-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2008.08.004
- Kesimal, A., Yilmaz, E. and Ercikdi, B. (2004), "Evaluation of paste backfill mixtures consisting of sulphide-rich mill tailings and varying cement contents", Cement Concrete Res, 34(10), 1817-1822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.01.018
- Komurlu, E. and Kesimal, A. (2012), "Jaw effects on indirect tensile strength test disc failure mechanism", Proceedings of the 7th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium, Seoul, South Korea, October, pp. 624-637.
- Komurlu, E. and Kesimal, A. (2015a), "Evaluation of indirect tensile strength of rocks using different types of jaws", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 48(4), 1723-1730. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-014-0644-3
- Komurlu, E. and Kesimal, A. (2015b), "Sulfide-rich mine tailings usage for short-term support purposes: An experimental study on paste backfill barricades", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 9(2), 195-205. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.9.2.195
- Komurlu, E., Kesimal, A. and Ercikdi, B. (2013), "An investigation of uncemented paste backfill applicability", Proceedings of the 23th International Congress and Exhibition of Tukey (IMCET 2013), The Chamber of Mining Engineers of Turkey, Antalya, Turkey, April, pp. 1017-1024
- Komurlu, E., Kesimal, A. and Demir, S. (2015), "An experimental and numerical study on determination of indirect (Splitting) tensile strength of rocks under various load apparatus", Can. Geotech. J., 53(2), 360-372. DOI: 10.1139/cgj-2014-0356 https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0356
- Kourkoulis, S.K. and Markides, C.F. (2012), "The Brazilian disc under parabolically varying load:Theoretical and experimental study of the displacement field", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 49(7-8), 959-972. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2011.12.013
- Kourkoulis, S.K., Markides, C.F. and Hemsley, J.A. (2013), "Frictional stresses at the disc-jaw interface during the standardized execution of the Brazilian disc test", Acta Mechanica, 224(2), 255-268. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-012-0756-3
- Krishnayya, A.V.G. and Eisenstein, Z. (1974), "Brazilian tensile test for soils", Can. Geotech. J., 11(4), 632-642. https://doi.org/10.1139/t74-064
- Markides, C.F., Pazis, D.N. and Kourkoulis, S.K. (2012), "The Brazilian disc under non-uniform distribution of radial pressure and friction", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 50, 47-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.12.012
- Muskhelishvili, N.I. (1963), Some Basic Problems in Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Noordhoff International Publishing, Leyden, IL, USA.
- Ulusay, R. and Gokceoglu, C. (1997), "The modified block punch index test", Can. Geotech. J., 34(6), 991-1001. https://doi.org/10.1139/t97-049
- Ulusay, R. and Hudson, J.A. (Eds.) (2007), The Blue Book - The Complete ISRM Suggested Methods for Rock Characterisation, Testing and Monitoring: 1974-2006, ISRM & Turkish National Group of ISRM, Ankara, Turkey.
- Willam, K.J. and Warnke, E.P. (1974), Constitutive Model for the Triaxial Behaviour of Concrete, IABSE, Report No. 19; Bergamo, Italy, pp. 1-30.
- Yilmaz, E., Belem, T., Bussiere, B. and Benzaazoua, M. (2011), "Relationships between microstructural properties and compressive strength of consolidated and unconsolidated cemented paste backfills", Cement Concrete Compos., 33(6), 702-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2011.03.013
- Yilmaz, E., Belem, T. and Benzaazoua, M. (2015), "Specimen size effect on strength behavior of cemented paste backfills subjected to different placement conditions", Eng. Geol., 185, 52-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2014.11.015
- Yu, Y., Yin, J. and Zhong, Z. (2006), "Shape effects in the Brazilian tensile strength test and a 3D FEM correction", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 43(4), 623-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.09.005
- Markides, C.F., Pazis, D.N. and Kourkoulis, S.K. (2010), "Closed Full-Field Solutions for Stresses and Displacements in the Brazilian Disc under Distributed Radial Load", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 47(2), 227-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.11.006
- Hondros, G. (1959), "The evaluation of Poisson's ratio and the modulus of materials of a low tensile resistance by Brazilian (indirect tensile) test with particular reference to concrete", Aust. J. Appl. Sci., 10(3), 243-268.
- Hobbs, D.W. (1964), "The tensile strength of rocks", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 1(3), 385-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(64)90005-1
- Anisotropy of Rock Profile JRC Values and Its Empirical Formula: A Case Study on Yellow Rust Granite vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-017-0199-7
- Closed-Form Solution for the Stresses in Brazilian Disc Tests Under Vertical Uniform Loads pp.1434-453X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1511-4