- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Algorithm and experimental verification of underwater acoustic communication based on passive time reversal mirror in multiuser environment
다중송신채널 환경에서 수동형 시역전에 기반한 수중음향통신 알고리즘 및 실험적 검증
Eom, Min-Jeong;Oh, Sehyun;Kim, J.S.;Kim, Sea-Moon
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.24
- Published : 2016.05.31
Underwater communication is difficult to increase the communication capacity because the carrier frequency is lower than that of radio communications on land. This is limited to the bandwidth of the signal under the influence of the characteristics of an ocean medium. As the high transmission speed and large transmission capacity have become necessary in the limited frequency range, the studies on MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) communication have been actively carried out. The performance of the MIMO communication is lower than that of the SIMO (Single Input Multiple Output) communication because cross-talk occurs due to multiusers along with inter symbol interference resulting from the channel characteristics such as delay spread and doppler spread. Although the adaptive equalizer considering multi-channels is used to mitigate the influence of the cross-talk, the algorithm is normally complicated. In this paper, time reversal mirror technique with the characteristic of a self-equalization will be applied to simplify the compensation algorithm and relieve the cross-talk in order to improve the communication performance when the signal transmitted from two channels is received over interference on one channel in the same time. In addition, the performance of the MIMO communication based on the time reversal mirror is verified using data from the SAVEX15(Shallow-water Acoustic Variability Experiment 2015) conducted at the northern area of East China Sea in May 2015.
Acoustic communication;Passive time reversal mirror;Inter symbol interference;Cross-talk;Bit error rate
- A. C. Singer, J. K. Nelson, and S. S. Kozat, "Signal processing for underwater acoustic communications," in IEEE Communications Magazine, 90-96 (2009).
- D. B. Kilfoyle and A. B. Baggeroer, "The state of the art in underwater acoustic telemetry," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. 25, 4-27 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1109/48.820733
- R. J. Urick, Principles of underwater sound, Third Edition (Mcgraw-Hill, New York, 1983), pp. 99-146.
- J. G. Proakis, and M. Salehi, Digital Communications (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2008), pp. 160-688.
- H. C. Song, and W. S. Hodgkiss, "Multiuser communication using passive time reversal," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. 32, 915-926 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2007.904311
- W. A. Kuperman, W. S. Hodgkiss, H. C. Song, T. Akal, C. Ferla, and D. R. Jackson, " Phase conjugation in the ocean: Experimental demonstration of an acoustic time-reversal mirror," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 103, 25-40 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.423233
- G. F. Edelmann, T. Akal, W. S. Hodgkiss, S. Kim, W. A. Kuperman, and H. C. Song, "An initial demonstration of underwater acoustic communication using time reversal," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. 27, 602-609 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2002.1040942
- J. W. Choi, J. Riedl, K. Kim, A. C. Singer, and J. C. Preisig, "Adaptive linear turbo equalization over doubly selective channels," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 36, 473-489 (2011) https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2011.2158013
- J. R. Yoon, M. K. Park, and Y. J. Ro, "Bit error parameters on passive phase conjugation underwater acoustic communication" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 24, 454-461 (2005).
- B. C. Kwun and K. M. Kim, "Experimental performance evaluation of MIMO underwater acoustic communication in water tank" (in Korean), J. Korera Inst. Inf. Commun. Eng. 17, 1577-1582 (2013). https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2013.17.7.1577
- H. S. Kim, Y. S. Kwon, I. Lee, J. H. Chung, and S. I. Kim, "Analysis of time reversal transmission performance for underwater communications" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 28, 213-221 (2009).
- M. J. Eom, J. S. Kim, J. H. Cho, H. Y. Kim, and I. Sung, "Algorithm and experimental verification of underwater acoustic communication based on passive time-reversal mirror" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 33, 392-399 (2014). https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2014.33.6.392
- M. Fink, "Time-reversal mirrors," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 26, 1333-1350 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/26/9/001
- J. S. Kim, H. C. Song, and W. A. Kuperman, "Adpative time-reversal mirror," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 109, 1817-1825 (2006).
- H. C. Song, J. S. Kim, and W. S. Hodgkiss, "Crosstalk mitigation using adaptive time reversal," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127, EL19-EL22 (2010) https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3280234
- J. D. Skinner and W. S. Hodgkiss, "A Broadbeand, Multi-Channel Source-Receive Array for Ocean Acoustics Research," in Proc. MTS/IEEE Oceans 09 (2009).
- J. D. Skinner and W. S. Hodgkiss, "A network/autonomous receiving array system," in Proc. IEEE Oceans 08 (2008).
- W. H. Ryang, S. P. Kim, S. Kim and D. C. Kim, "Geoacoustic model of the transverse acoustic variability experiment area in the northern East China Sea," Geosciences Journals, 17, 267-278 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-013-0039-6
- S. H. Oh, S. M. Kim, and S. H. Byun, "Analysis of underwater acoustic channels at a southern area of Jeju Island using MLS signal from SAVEX15" (in Korean), in Proc. 30th Underwater Acoustics Symposium of J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 45 (2015).
- Performance improvement of underwater acoustic communication using ray-based blind deconvolution in passive time reversal mirror vol.35, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2016.35.5.375
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원, SIO, 국방과학연구소