- Volume 53 Issue 3
As a case study on yttria stabilized zirconia ceramics, the sintering characteristics of submicron powders and the granulation prepared by two-fluid spray drying of submicron particles were investigated. As-received powders of yttria stabilized zirconia particles were reduced to a uniform size of less than about 200 nm by repeated milling. Granulation size obtained by the two-fluid spray drying was affected by the organic matter and the primary particle size. Sintering behavior such as porosity, water absorption ratio, density, and transparency was influenced by processing conditions of the powder, and the discontinuous interfaces in a green body were reduced.
Submicron powder;Two-fluid spray;Granule morphology;Transparency;Full density
- Q. Nawaz and Y. Rharbi, "Various Modes of Void Closure during Dry Sintering of Close-Packed Nanoparticles," Langmuir, 26  1226-31 (2009).
T. Ekström, P. O. Kall, M. Nygren, and P. O. Olsson, "Dense Single-Phase
$\beta$-Sialon Ceramics by Glass-Encapsulated Hot Isostatic Pressing," J. Mater. Sci., 24  1853-61 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01105715
- H. T. Laker, "Hot Isostatic Pressing of Ceramics," pp. 717-24 in Hot Isostatic Pressing of Ceramics, Vol. 65, Applied Sciences. Ed. By F. L. Riley, Springer, Berlin, 1983.
- G. Bertrand, P. Roy, C. Filiatre, and C. Coddet, "Spray-Dried Ceramic Powders: A Quantitative Correlation between Slurry Characteristics and Shapes of the Granules," Chem. Eng. Sci., 60 95-102 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2004.04.042
- S. J. Lukasiewicz, "Spray-Drying Ceramic Powders," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 72  617-24 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1989.tb06184.x
- Y. Ko, S. Lee, J. Kim, J. Lee, and Y. Kang, "Sintering Characteristics of Nano-Sized Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Powders Prepared by Spray Pyrolysis," J. Ceram. Proc. Res., 13  405-8 (2012).
- H. Jang, H. Oh, J. Kim, and K. Jung, "Synthesis of Mesoporous Spherical Silica via Spray Pyrolysis: Pore Size Control and Evaluation of Performa nce in Paclitaxel Pre-Purification," Micro. Meso. Mater., 165  219-27 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2012.08.010
C. A. Handwerker, P. A. Morris, and R. L. Coble, "Effects of Chemical Inhomogeneities on Grain Growth and Microstructure in
$Al_2O_3$," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 72  130-36 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1989.tb05965.x
- K. Zupan, D. Kolar, and M. Marinsek, "Influence of Citrate-nitrate Reaction Mixture Packing on Ceramic Powder Properties," J. Power Sources, 86 [1-2] 417-22 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(99)00406-1
- J. Choi, "Rework Paste for Flip Chip Adhesion with Nanoscale Glass Frit(in Korean)"; Kr Patent 10-0928044 (November 16, 2009).
- T. Iijima, "Two-Fluid Nozzle and Device Employing the Same Nozzle for Freezing and Drying Liquid Containing Biological Substances"; US Patent 6,148,536 (November 21, 2000).
- A. K. Nath, C. Jiten, and K. C. Singh, "Influence of Ball Milling Paramet ers on the Particle Size of Barium Titanate Nanocrystalline Powders," Phy. B: Con. Mater., 405  430-34 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physb.2009.08.299
H. Kamiya, K. Isomura, G. Jimbo, and T. Jun-ichiro, "Powder Processing for the Fabrication of
$Si_3N_4$Ceramics: I, Influence of Spray-Dried Granule Strength on Pore Size Distribution in Green Compacts," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 78  49-57 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1995.tb08359.x
- S. Lowell, J. E. Shields, M. A. Thomas, and M. Thommes," Characteriza tion of Porous Solids and Powders: Surface Area, Pore Size and Density," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 127  14117 (2005).
- W. D. Kingery, H. K. Bowen, and D. R. Uhlmann, "Introduction to Ceramics," pp.475-76 in Grain Growth, Sintering, and Vitrification, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 1976.
- Y. Okamoto, N. Hirosaki, M. Ando, F. Munakata, and Y. Akimune, "Effect of Sintering Additive Composition on the Thermal Conductivity of Silicon Nitride," J. Mater. Res., 13  3473-77 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.1998.0474
- J. G. J. Peelen and R. Metselaar, "Light Scattering by Pores in Polycry stalline Materials: Transmission Properties of Alumina," J. App. Phy., 45  216-20 (1974). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1662961
- J. Klimke, M. Trunec, and A. Krell, "Transparent Tetragonal Yttria-Stabilized lized Zirconia Ceramics: Influence of Scattering Caused by Birefringence," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94  1850-58 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1551-2916.2010.04322.x