- Volume 33 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
3-Axis Milling Algorithm Development for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP) Composites
탄소섬유복합재 3축 밀링 알고리즘 개발
Luo, Shan;Bayesteh, Reza;Dong, Zuomin;Jun, Martin B.G.
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.05.27
- Published : 2016.06.03
The simulation of Carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) machining facilitates the selection of optimal cutting parameter for high machining efficiency and better surface quality. In this study, This paper proposes a dual-dexel model to represent the fiber laminate with computational geometry method to calculate the fiber length removed per revolution and fiber cutting angles. A flat end milling simulation software is developed in C# to simulate and display the CFRP milling process. During simulation, fiber lengths, fiber cutting angle and engaged cutting angle can be displayed in real-time. A CFRP plate with different angles in different layer is used to compare the simulation results.
- Sheikh-Ahmad, J., Twomey, J., Kalla, D., and Lodhia, P., "Multiple Regression and Committee Neural Network Force Prediction Models in Milling FRP," Machining Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 391-412, 2007.
- Koplev, A., "Cutting of CFRP with Single Edge Tools," Proc. of Advances in Composite Materials, Vol. 2, pp. 1597-1605, 1980.
- Lopresto, V., Santo, L., Caprino, G., and De Iorio, I., "Effect of Fibre Orientation on Cutting Forces and Cut Quality in Machining Unidirectional Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastics," Proc. of IV Convegno AITEM, pp. 451-458, 1999.
- Hintze, W., Hartmann, D., and Schutte, C., "Occurrence and Propagation of Delamination during the Machining of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastics (CFRPs): An Experimental Study," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 71, No. 15, pp. 1719-1726, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2011.08.002
- Santhanakrishnan, G., Krishnamurthy, R., and Malhotra, S., "Machinability Characteristics of Fibre Reinforced Plastics Composites," Journal of Mechanical Working Technology, Vol. 17, pp. 195-204, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3804(88)90021-6
- Lazar, M.-B. and Xirouchakis, P., "Experimental Analysis of Drilling Fiber Reinforced Composites," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 51, No. 12, pp. 937-946, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2011.08.009
- Shahrajabian, H., Hadi, M., and Farahnakian, M., "Experimental Investigation of Machining Parameters on Machinability of Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Composites," International Journal Engineering Innovative Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 30-36, 2012.
- Ramesh, M., Seetharamu, K., Ganesan, N., and Sivakumar, M., "Analysis of Machining of FRPs using FEM," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 38, No. 12, pp. 1531-1549, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0890-6955(98)00008-X
- Karpat, Y., Bahtiyar, O., and Deger, B., "Mechanistic Force Modeling for Milling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Laminates," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 56, pp. 79-93, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2012.01.001
- Lamikiz, A., De Lacalle, L. L., Sanchez, J., and Salgado, M., "Cutting Force Estimation in Sculptured Surface Milling," International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 44, No. 14, pp. 1511-1526, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2004.05.004
- Engin, S. and Y. Altintas, "Mechanics and Dynamics of General Milling Cutters: Part I: Helical End Mills," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 41, No. 15, pp. 2195-2212, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0890-6955(01)00045-1
Grant : Development of Manufacturing System for CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics) Machining
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, industry & Energy(MOTIE)