- Volume 33 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Effects of Foam-Filter for Reduction of Air-Trapping in Large-Size Sand Gravity Casting
대형 중력주물품의 기공발생 저감을 위한 다공성 필터 (Foam-Filter) 적용효과 분석
Yu, Jae Hyun;Lee, Ho Rim;Joo, Jeong A;Hwang, Yun Je;Shin, Bo Sung;Park, Sang Hu
- Received : 2015.09.09
- Accepted : 2016.01.22
- Published : 2016.06.03
In this work, casting processes, such as filling and solidification, were simulated in order to accurately predict volume shrinkage defects in large-sized sand gravity casting. Turbulent flow of melted materials and a difference of solidification speed can cause volume shrinkage defects. In order to solve this problem and to understand the phenomenon, a porous filter application was studied. Two different porosities of 10 and 20 p.p.i filters were introduced into the gating system, and in view of the results so far achieved, the defect was dramatically reduced by 22%, compared to that without the use of the filter.
Shrinkage;Filling analysis;Solidification analysis;Heat transfer analysis;Foam filter
- Kwak, S.-Y., Lim, C.-H., and Baek, J.-W., "Contribution Analysis Using Shape Simplification Method for Casting Structure Shrinkage," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp. 807-812, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.8.807
- Choi, J.-K. and Kim, D.-O., "A Study on the Computed Aided Gating Design in Gray Cast Iron," Journal of Korea Foundry Society, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 27-35, 1986.
- Song, I. and Chung, S., "Robust Design of the Gate System for Flatness Improvement in Semi-Solid Casting Processes," Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 130-136, 2009.
- Taslicukur, Z., Balaban, C., and Kuskonmaz, N., "Production of Ceramic Foam Filters for Molten Metal Filtration Using Expanded Polystyrene," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 637-640, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2006.04.129
- Wang, Z., Xu, J., Bao, G., Zhang, J., Fang, X., et al., "Fabrication of High-Power Diesel Engine Crankshafts by Electro-Slag Casting Process," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 182, No. 2, pp. 588-592, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.10.001
- Wang, Z., He, T., Yang, Y., and Li, Y., "Application and Development of Numerical Simulation Technology in Casting," International Journal of Research in Engineering and Science, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 23-28, 2015.
- Kwak, S.-Y. and Lim, C.-H., "Combination of Different Numerical Methods for Efficient Thermal Stress Analysis of Casting Process," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 1051-1057, 2010.
- MAGMA Engineering Korea Co. Ltd., "MAGMA5 User Results Manual, Version 5.2," 2015.
- Choi, J. K., "Prediction of Casting Defects and Control of Casting Process by Computer Simulation," Ph.D. Thesis, School of Materials Science and Engineering, Yonsei University, pp. 4-9, 1992.
- Kwak, S.-Y. and Kim, H.-K., "Shape-Simplification Analysis Model for Fatigue Life Prediction of Casting Products Considering Internal Defects," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 35, No. 10, pp. 1243-1248, 2011.
- Davila-Maldonado, O., Adams, A., Oliveira, L., Alquist, B., and Morales, R., "Simulation of Fluid and Inclusions Dynamics during Filtration Operations of Ductile Iron Melts Using Foam Filters," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 818-839, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-008-9190-2
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 미래창조 과학부