- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Elementary School Teachers' Use of Science Teacher's Guide for Lesson Preparation: Focused on Grade 3-4 Science Curriculum Revised in 2009
수업 준비를 위한 초등 과학 교사용 지도서 활용 실태 - 2009 개정 과학과 3-4학년을 중심으로 -
- Received : 2016.03.23
- Accepted : 2016.05.29
- Published : 2016.05.31
This study aims to investigate how elementary teachers use teachers' guide in preparation for science lessons. First, different uses of teacher's guide were analyzed. Second, how and why teachers use each section in teacher's guide were analyzed. For the study, 24 elementary school teachers were interviewed in depth. The semi-structured in-depth interviews were conducted individually and/or in small group, and additional interviews were held when necessary. The results showed that most of the teachers used teacher's guide only substitutionally, and some teachers rarely use teacher's guide, while only 3 out of 24 teachers used teacher's guide in detail. The reasons that teachers used the teacher's guide substitutionally or rarely were that most science lessons include experiments, and science textbook itself provides enough information for preparation of science lessons for 3rd and 4th grade students. The results also revealed that only few teachers read the general guideline in teacher's guide. Some sections of teacher's guide were not used. The sections that many teachers used were the aims of lesson, the learning system of the unit, background knowledge, flow of lesson, learning contents and activities. This study specifically examined the actual use of teacher's guide for lesson preparation and discussed implications for the development of more helpful teacher's guide.
teacher's guide;elementary science;teachers' use;lesson preparation
- Ball, D. L. & Cohen, D. K. (1996). Reform by the book:What is-or might be-the role of curriculum materials in teacher learning and instructional reform. Educational Researcher, 25(9), 6-8, 14.
- Chin, J., Seo, J., Kim, K. & Lee, N. (2007). The research on textbook evaluation(1): Establishing a system for textbook quality management. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation, RRC 2007-5.
- Cochran, K. F., DeRuiter, J. A. & King, R. A.(1993). Pedagogical content knowing: An integrative model for teacher preparation. Journal of Teacher Education, 44, 263-272. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487193044004004
- Collopy, R. M. B. (2003). Curriculum materials as a professional development tool: How a mathematics textbook affected two teachers' learning. Elementary School Journal, 103(3), 287-311. https://doi.org/10.1086/499727
- Creswell, J. W. (2005). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. Upper Saddle River, N.J: Merrill.
- Eisenmann, T. & Even, R. (2011). Enacted types of algebraic activity in different classes taught by the same teacher. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 9, 867-891. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-010-9241-4
- Grossman, P. L. (1990). The making of a teacher. Columbia Univ.: Teachers college press.
- Han, K. & Noh, S. (2003). An analysis on the utilization of teacher's guides for science in elementary school. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 22(1), 51-64.
- Jeon, Y. M. (2006). Understanding American teachers' use of teachers' manuals: Two case studies. The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 23(3), 5-24.
- Jang, M., Joung, Y. & Kim, H. (2011). The elementary school teachers' conceptions and utilization on the general remarks in the science teacher's guide. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 535-552.
- Kim, G. (2013). Elementary school teachers' conceptions and utilization in the 5, 6th grade science teacher's guide revised in 2007. Daegu National University of Education, Master's Thesis. Korea.
- Kwak, Y. (2006). Definition of pedagogical content knowledge and ways of raising teaching professionalism as examined by secondary school science teachers. Journal of Korean Association of Science Education, 26(4), 527-536.
- Kweon, J., Chung, W. & Kim, Y. (2001). Teachers perception and improvement on the elementary science teacher s guide. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 20(1), 75-90.
- Kwon, C. & Park, B. (2011). The teacher's recognition and utilization for subject of new science teacher's guide in the elementary school. Journal of Elementary Science Education, 21(2), 247-260.
- Lloyd, G. M. (2008). Teaching high school mathematics with a new curriculum: Changes to classroom organization and interactions. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 10, 163-195. https://doi.org/10.1080/10986060701854482
- Loughran, J., Milroy, P., Berry, A., Gunstone, R. & Mulhall, P. (2001). Documenting science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge through PaP-eRs. Research in Science Education, 31(2), 289-307. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013124409567
- Noh, M., Jeong, H. & Yoon, J. (2004). A study on the concept of textbook and it's internal system for effective teaching-learning in schools. Korea Textbook Research Foundation.
- Shulman, L. S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Won, M. (2003). Elementary school teachers' perception of using the teachers' guide book. Ewha Women's University. Master's thesis. Korea.