- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of the Affective Characteristics and the Demands on Education of Elementary Science gifted Students in Urban and Rural Areas
도시와 농촌지역 초등과학 영재학생들의 정의적 특성 및 교육 요구분석
- Received : 2016.04.26
- Accepted : 2016.05.24
- Published : 2016.05.31
The purpose of this study was to analyze affective characteristics and the demands of elementary science gifted students on gifted educations in urban and rural areas. The subjects were 196 science gifted students. The survey questionnaires were consisted of self-esteem, interests in science, scientific attitudes, and demands regarding gifted classes. The results of this study were as follows. First, self-esteem and interests in science, particularly interests toward science, toward science learning, toward science related careers, in urban gifted students were higher than those in rural areas. Whereas interests toward science activities and science anxiety of science gifted students in rural areas were significantly higher than those in urban area. Furthermore, scientific attitudes of science gifted students in urban area were higher than rural those in open-mindedness, critical-mindedness, voluntariness, creativity, whereas science gifted students in rural areas were higher than urban those in cooperation. Second, for the analysis on demands regarding class contents and methods, 'teaching content that challenges and exciting stimuli' of science gifted students in rural areas were significantly higher than those in urban area. Third, for the analysis on demands regarding educational environments, 'satisfaction with class materials provided by gifted classes' of gifted students in urban area were higher than those in rural area.
elementary science gifted students;affective characteristics;demands;urban;rural
- Anderson, N. H. (1981). Foundations of information integration theory. New York: Academic Press.
- Choi, B. & Jeon, G. (1993). A study on the development of the Self-Esteem Inventory (1). Family and Environment Research, 31(2), 41-54.
- Choi, Y. (2011). A correlation between scientific attitude and self-esteem of the scientifically gifted and the general elementary students. Master's thesis, Chinju National University of Education.
- Feldhusen, J. F.(1986). A conception of giftedness, In R. J. Sternberg & Davidson(end.), Conceptions of giftedness, NY: Cambridge Univ, Press.
- Jeong, E. (2013). Mediation effects of self-esteem in the relationship between appearance satisfaction, and happiness of elementary school students. Master's thesis, Chuncheon National University of Education.
- Kim, B, E. (2013). A study on the scientific attitudes and degree of satisfaction about school science lesson of science gifted and general students in elementary school. Master's thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Kim, H., Yoon, C., Yoon, Y. & Kim, H. (2003). The study on the intellectual and affective behavioral characteristics and instructions in the elementary gifted student. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Kim, H., Chung, W. & Jeong, J. (1998). National assessment system development of science-related affective domain. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science, 18(3), 357-369.
- Kim, S. C. (2009). A survey on the students and parents' perception on the science education center for the gifted: Focus on the case of Gangneung-Wonju National University. Journal of Science Education for the Gifted, 1(2), 17-32.
- Lee, H., Ha, J. & Oh, H. (2009a). Disadvantaged gifted students' characteristics and needs in Daegu and Kyongsang-Bukdo province. Journal of Science Education, 33(2), 220-236. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2009.33.2.220
- Lee, J. C., Kang, S. M. & Heo, H. U. (2009b). Establishment of teaching strategy through investigating scientific attitude, learning style, student's preferences of teaching style and learning environments of Korea science academy students. Journal of Gifted/ Talented Education, 19(1), 138-159.
- Lee, S. N., Yi, S. & Han, S. (2009c). Comparison of mathematically gifted students and non-gifted students in perception of learning environments and affective characteristics. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 30(5), 73-85.
- Lim, H. (2012). An analysis of research trends on gifted education in Korea. Master's thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Park, J. H. & Choi, Y. J. (2013). A correlation between scientific attitude and self-esteem of the scientifically gifted and the general elementary students. Korean Journal of Elementary Education, 24(1), 257-270. https://doi.org/10.20972/kjee.24.1.201303.257
- Park, K. B. (2013). The perception of gifted students on elementary gifted education in action. Master's thesis, Kyungnam University.
- Park, M. O. (2006a). A comparison of the emotional characteristics between the gifted and general students of the elementary school. Master's thesis, Chinju National University of Education.
- Park, S. Y. (2006b). The effects of MBL program on elementary school student's academic achievement and science-related affective characteristics. Master's thesis, Gyeongin National University of Education.
- Renzulli, J. S.(1978). Developing defensible programs for the gifted and talented. Journal of Creative Behavior, 12(1), 21-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.1978.tb00156.x
- Song, G. A. (2014). The relation of intelligence, self-esteem, mathematical attitudes, and scientific attitudes of gifted students from low-income families. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 24(6), 1039-1051. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2014.24.6.1039
- Tae, J. (2014). The present situation and requirement for talent counsel perceived by gifted students in the primary and middle school. The Journal of the Korean Society for the Gifted and Talented, 13(3), 149-173.