- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Modeling-Based Science Inquiry Instruction on Elementary Students' Learning in the Unit of Seasonal Changes
초등학생들의 계절의 변화 단원의 학습에서 모델링 중심 과학 탐구 수업의 효과
- Received : 2016.05.01
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.05.31
In this study, modeling pedagogies were employed to re-design and teach the unit of Seasonal Changes in the
modeling-based inquiry;conceptual resource;epistemic feeling;seasonal changes
- Arango-Munoz, S. & Michaelian, K. (2014). Epistemic feelings, epistemic emotions: Review and introduction to the focus section. Philosophical Inquiries, 2(1), 97-122.
- Baxter, J. (1989). Children's understanding of familiar astronomical events. International Journal of Science Education, 11, 502-513. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069890110503
- Bellocchi, A. & Ritchie, S. M. (2015). “I was proud of myself that I didn't give up and I did it”: Experiences of pride and triumph in learning science. Science Education, 99(4), 638-668. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.21159
- Campbell, T., Oh, P. S. & Neilson, D. (2013). Reification of five types of modeling pedagogies with model-based inquiry (MBI) modules for high school science classrooms. In M. S. Khine & I. M. Saleh (eds.), Approaches and strategies in next generation science learning (pp. 106-126). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Chae, D. (1992). Students' naïve theories about change in seasons. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 13(3), 283-289.
- Chae, D. (2011). The investigation of six grade students' preconceptions about the cause of seasonal change. Elementary Science Education, 30(2), 204-212.
- Cho, Y. M. & Oh, P. S. (2011). Analysis of the ‘structure' of an elementary school teacher's practical knowledge on science experiment lessons. Elementary Science Education, 30(2), 162-177.
- Fraser, B. J. (1981). Test of science related attitudes: Handbook. Hawthorn, Victoria: Australian Council for Educational Research.
- Glaser, B. & Strauss, A. (1967). The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research. New Brunswick, NJ: Aldine Transaction.
- Goo, M.-L. & Oh, P. S. (2014). An analysis of the relationship between elementary teacehrs' perceptions and practices about science models. The Journal of Education, 34(1), 1-17.
- Jaber, L. Z. & Hammer, D. (2016). Engaging in science: A feeling for the discipline. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 25(2), 156-202. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508406.2015.1088441
- Jang, M.-D., Cheong, C. & Jeong, J.-W. (2001). Preconception and conceptual change about season on elementary school students. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 22(4), 268-277.
- Khan, S. (2007). Model-based inquiries in chemistry. Science Education, 91, 877-905. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20226
- Kikas, E. (1998a). Pupil's explanations of seasonal changes: Age differences and the influence of teaching. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 68, 505-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1998.tb01308.x
- Kikas, E. (1998b). The impact of teaching on students' definitions and explanations of astronomical phenomena. Learning and Instruction, 8(5), 439-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-4752(98)00004-8
- Kim, N., Yang, I. & Ko, M. (2014). The relationship between the mental model and the depictive gestures observed in the explanations of elementary school students about the reason why seasons change. Journal of Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 7(3), 358-370. https://doi.org/10.15523/JKSESE.2014.7.3.358
- Kim, S., Yang, I. & Lim, S. (2013). Analysis of changes in elementary students' mental models about the causes of the seasonal change. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 33(5), 893-910. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.5.893
- Kim, S.-S. (2012). The study of elementary preservice teacher's classes on seasonal variation. Journal of Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 5(3), 245-255.
- King, D., Ritchie, S., Sandhu, M. & Henderson, S. (2015). Emotionally intense science activities. International Journal of Science Education, 37(12), 1886-1914. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2015.1055850
- Lee, J. (2015). Analyses of the types of modeling pedagogies adopted in elementary school science curricular. Unpublished master's thesis, Graduate School of Education, Gyeongin National University of Education.
- Lehrer, R., Schauble, L. & Lucas, D. (2008). Supporting development of the epistemology of inquiry. Cognitive Development, 23, 512-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogdev.2008.09.001
- Manz, E. (2012). Understanding the codevelopment of modeling practice and ecological knowledge. Science Education, 96, 1071-1105. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.21030
- Meyer, D. Z., Meyer, A. A., Nabb, K. A., Connell, M. G. & Avery, L. M. (2013). A theoretical and empirical exploration of intrinsic problems in designing inquiry activities. Research in Science Education, 43, 57-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-011-9243-4
- National Research Council (1996). National science education standards. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- National Research Council (2012). A framework for K-12 science education: Practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- NGSS Lead States (2013). Next generation science standards: For states, by states. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Oh, P. S. (2013). Secondary science teachers' thoughts on 'good' science teaching. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 33(2), 405-424. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.2.405
- Oh, P. S. (2014). Characteristics of teacher learning and changes in teachers' epistemic beliefs within a learning community of elementary science teachers. Elementary Science Education, 33(4), 683-699. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.4.683
- Oh, P. S. (2015). A theoretical review and trial application of the 'resources-based view' (RBV) as an alternative cognitive theory. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 35(6), 971-984. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.6.0971
- Sharp, J. G. (1996). Children's astronomical beliefs: A preliminary study of year 6 children in south-west England. International Journal of Science Education, 18(6), 685-712. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069960180604
- The Ministry of Education (2015). Science curriculum [과학과 교육과정]. Seoul: Author.
- The Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development (2007). Science curriculum [과학과 교육과정]. Seoul: Author.
- The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2008). Handbook of elementary school curriculum: Mathematics, science, practical science [초등학교 교육과정 해설: 수학, 과학, 실과]. Seoul: Author.
- The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2011). Science curriculum [과학과 교육과정]. Seoul: Author.
- Tobin, K. & McRobbie, C. J. (1997). Beliefs about the nature of science and the enacted science curriculum. Science & Education, 6, 355-371. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008600132359