- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Performance Improvement of the Horizontal Control System for a Tractor Implement Using Sensor Signal from the Front Axle
- Ro, Young-Min ;
- Moon, Jun-Hee ;
- Kim, Kyeong Uk
- Received : 2016.03.16
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.06.01
Purpose: Many tractors have adopted the horizontal control system designed to maintain the three-point mounted implements in horizontal position when they are tilted sideways. The control system rotates the implement in the opposite direction to the inclination of rear axle of the tractor. However, the current control system was found to have poor performance in accuracy and response. A new control system was therefore developed to improve the performance. Methods: The new control system was designed to get the response of the implement to be started earlier by using the tilt information from the front axle of the tractor. By this approach, the rotation of the implement can be adjusted as required to make it horizontal at the expected time, even though the response is slow. The optimal values of the control parameters for the new system were determined by computer simulation and validated by a performance test conducted with an obstacle of 120 mm height on a flat concrete surface. The performance of the control system was evaluated by the root mean square error (RMSE) of the rotation angle of the implement with respect to the actual inclination of the rear axle. Results: The new control system reduced the RMSE of the current control system by 44.6% indicating a high performance improvement. The inclination of the front axle was easily obtained from a sensor mounted on the front axle of the tractor and used as input to the new control system. Conclusions: The method of getting the response of the implement to be started earlier by utilizing the inclination information of the front axle can be applied to improve the performance of the current control system at least cost.
Horizontal control system;Implement;RMSE;Tractor
- Shampine, L. F., M. W. Reichelt and J. A. Kierzenka. 1999. Solving index-1 DAEs in MATLAB and Simulink. SIAM review 41(3):538-552. https://doi.org/10.1137/S003614459933425X
- Yoo, S. N., S. R. Suh and D. J. Kim. 1993. Tractor Implement Attitude Control System Using Microcomputer. Journal of the Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery 18(3):199-208 (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Zhang, F., M. Yeddanapudi. 2012. Modeling and simulation of time-varying delays, In: Proc. of the Symposium on Theory of Modeling and Simulation - DEVS Integrative M&S Symposium. Society for Computer Simulation International, 34.
- Arora, J. S. 2004. Introduction to Optimum Design, 2nd Ed., USA., Elsevier Academic Press.
- Cha, J. P., W. P. Park, S. C. Kim, I. K. Jung and S. O. Chung, 1997. Development of Control Algorithm of Balancing Tractor Implement. In: Proceedings of The KSAM 1997 Summer Conference, 2(2):32-40 (In Korean).
- Ishak, N., M. Tajjudin, H. Ismail, M. H. F. Rahiman, Y. M., Sam, and R. Adnan. 2012. PID studies on position tracking control of an electro-hydraulic actuator. International Journal of Control Science and Engineering 2(5):120-126. https://doi.org/10.5923/j.control.20120205.04
- Karkee, M. and B. L. Steward. 2011. Parameter estimation and validation of a tractor and single axle towed implement dynamic system model. Computers and electronics in agriculture 77(2):135-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2011.04.005
- Kim, K. Y., K. H. Ryu and S. N. Yoo. 1990. Electronic-Hydraulic Hitch Control System for Agricultural Tractors (III) -Computer Simulation- Journal of the Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery 15(4):290-297 (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Kubota corporation. 2004. Rolling controller of working vehicle. Republic of Korea patent No. 1004366410000
- Lee, S. S., W. Y. Park. 2011. Development of Tractor Threepoint Hitch Control System using Proportional Valve. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 36(2):89-95 (In Korean, with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.2.89
- Ling, T. G., M. F. Rahmat and A. R. Husain. 2015. A Comparative Study of Linear ARX and Nonlinear ANFIS Modeling of an Electro-Hydraulic Actuator System. Jurnal Teknologi 67(5):1-8.
- Shampine, L. F. and M. W. Reichelt. 1997. The matlab ode suite. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 18(1):1-22. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1064827594276424