- Volume 41 Issue 2
Purpose: In-situ water quality monitoring based on ion-selective electrodes (ISEs) is a promising technique because ISEs can be used directly in the medium to be tested, have a compact size, and are inexpensive. However, signal drift can be a major concern with on-line management systems because continuous immersion of the ISEs in water causes electrode degradation, affecting the stability, repeatability, and selectivity over time. In this study, a computer-based nitrate monitoring system including automatic electrode rinsing and calibration was developed to measure the nitrate concentration in water samples in real-time. Methods: The capabilities of two different types of poly(vinyl chloride) membrane-based ISEs, an electrode with a liquid filling and a carbon paste-based solid state electrode, were used in the monitoring system and evaluated on their sensitivities, selectivities, and durabilities. A feasibility test for the continuous detection of nitrate ions in water using the developed system was conducted using water samples obtained from various water sources. Results: Both prepared ISEs were capable of detecting low concentrations of nitrate in solution, i.e., 0.7 mg/L
Automatic test stand;Ion selective electrode (ISE);Nitrate;Solid state electrode (SSE);Water quality
- Bonastre, A., R. Ors, J. Capella, M. Fabra, and M. Peris. 2005. In-line chemical analysis of wastewater: present and future trends. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry 24(2):128-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2004.09.008
- Cho, W. J., H. J. Kim, D. H. Jung, D. W. Kim, C. I. Kang, and G. L. Choi. 2015. An Embedded System for Control of Hydroponic Nutrients. In 2015 ASABE Annual International Meeting. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Curini, R., A. Gentili, S. Marchese, D. Perret, L. Arone, and A. Monteleone. 2001. Monitoring of pesticides in surface water: Off-line SPE followed by HPLC with UV detection and confirmatory analysis by mass spectrometry. Chromatographia 53(5-6):244-250.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 1990. Drinking Water Criteria Document on Nitrate/Nitrite Office of Drinking Water. Washington, DC.
- Jung, D. H., H. J. Kim, G. L. Choi, T. I. Ahn, J. E. Son, and K. A. Sudduth. 2015. Automated lettuce nutrient solution management using an array of ion-selective electrodes. Transactions of the ASABE 58(5):1309-1319.
- Kim, H. J., J. W. Hummel, and S. J. Birrell. 2006. Evaluation of nitrate and potassium ion-selective membranes for soil macronutrient sensing. Transactions of the ASABE 49(3):597-606. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.20476
- Kim, H. J., J. W. Hummel, K. A. Sudduth, and P. P. Motavalli. 2007. Simultaneous analysis of soil macronutrients using ion-selective electrodes. Soil Science Society of America Journal 71(6):1867-1877. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2007.0002
- Kim, H. J., W. K. Kim, M. Y. Roh, C. I. Kang, J. M. Park, and K. A. Sudduth. 2013. Automated sensing of hydroponic macronutrients using a computer-controlled system with an array of ion-selective electrodes. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 93:46-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2013.01.011
- Kim, H. J., D.-W. Son, S. G. Kwon, M. Y. Roh, C. I. Kang, and H. S. Jung. 2011. Determination of inorganic phosphate in paprika hydroponic solution using a laboratory-made automated test stand with cobalt-based electrodes. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 36(5):326-333. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.5.326
- Mimendia, A., J. M. Gutierrez, L. Leija, P. R. Hernandez, L. Favari, R. Munoz, and M. Del Valle. 2010. A review of the use of the potentiometric electronic tongue in the monitoring of environmental systems. Environmental Modelling & Software 25(9):1023-1030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2009.12.003
- Szigeti, Z., T. Vigassy, E. Bakker, and E. Pretsch. 2006. Approaches to improving the lower detection limit of polymeric membrane ion-selective electrodes. Electroanalysis 18:1254-1265. https://doi.org/10.1002/elan.200603539
- Tang, W., J. Ping, K. Fan, Y. Wang, X. Luo, Y. Ying, J. Wu, and Q. Zhou. 2012. All-solid-state nitrate-selective electrode and its application in drinking water. Electrochimica Acta 81:186-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2012.07.073
- Winkler, S., L. Rieger, E. Saracevic, A. Pressl, and G. Gruber. 2004. Application of ion-sensitive sensors in water quality monitoring. No. 11.
Supported by : Korea Environmental Industry & Technology Institute