- Volume 18 Issue 2
Purpose: This study aimed to evaluate weight changes in women during the period of TAC (docetaxel-doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide) chemotherapy after breast surgery and the differences in weight changes by disease characteristics among Korean women with breast cancer. Methods: The design of this study was retrospective survey research. The subjects of this study were 130 patients with fully completed TAC chemotherapy between January 2012 and April 2015. Body weight before their operation, and at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks, 15 weeks, and 18 weeks after surgery, as well as general and disease characteristics, were reviewed via their medical charts. Results: The mean age of the patients was 51.2 years. The preoperative (baseline) mean weight was
- National Cancer Information Center. Cancer Facts and Figures [Internet]. Goyang-si: National Cancer Information Center; 2014 [cited 2015 Feb 17]. Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Statistics Korea [Internet]. Daejeon: Korean Statistical Information Service; 2014 [cited 2015 Feb, 16]. Available from http://kosis.kr/nportal/index/index.jsp.
- Korean Breast Cancer Society. Breast Cancer Facts & Figures [Internet]. Seoul: Korean Breast Cancer Society; 2014 [cited 2015 Feb, 16]. Available from http://www.kbcs.or.kr.
- Lee JS. Wight changes after surgery in korean women with breast cancer [master's thesis]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2008. p. 1-26.
- Byar KL, Berger AM, Bakken SL, Cetak MA. Impact of adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy on fatigue, other symptoms, and quality of life. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2006;33:18-26. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.E18-E26
- Early Breast Cancer Trialist Collaborative Group (EBCTCG). Meta-analysis [Internet]. Oxford: Early Breast Cancer Trialist Collaborative Group (EBCTCG); 2011 [cited 2015 Mar 12]. Available from https://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/research/meta-trials/ebctcg/ebctcg-page.
- Semb KA, Aamdal S, Oian P. Capillary protein leak syndrome appears to explain fluid retention in cancer patients who receive docetaxel treatment. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1998;16:3426-3432. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19220.127.116.1126
- Heideman WH, Russell NS, Gundy C, Rookus MA, Voskuil DW. The frequency, magnitude and timing of post diagnosis body weight gain in Dutch breast cancer survivors. European Journal of Cancer. 2009;45:119-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.09.003
- Makari JG, Judson CH, Mertens WC. Longitudinal patterns of weight gain after breast cancer diagnosis: observations beyond the first year. The Breast Journal. 2007;13(13): 258-265. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00419.x
- Vance V, Mourtzakis M, McCargar L, Hanning R. Weight gain in breast cancer survivors: prevalence, pattern and health consequences. Obesity Reviews. 2011;12:282-294. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00805.x
- Kroenke CH, Chen WY, Rosner B, Holmes MD. Weight, weight gain, and survival after breast cancer diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005;23(7):1370-1378. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.01.079
- Loi S, Milne RL, Friedlander ML, McCredie MR, Giles GG, Hopper JL, et al. Obesity and outcomes in premenopausal and postmenopausal breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2005;14(7):1686-1691. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0042
- Carmichael A. Obesity as a risk factor for development and poor prognosis of breast cancer. An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2006;113:1160-1166. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2006.01021.x
- Baker J, Ajani J, Scotte F, Winther D, Martin M, Aapro MS, et al. Docetaxel-related side effects and their management. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2008;12:253-268.
- Hatam N, Ahmadloo N, AhmadKia DA, Bastani P, Askarian MM. Quality of life and toxicity in breast cancer patients using adjuvant TAC (docetaxel, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide) in comparison with FAC (doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide,5-fluorouracil). Archives of gynecology and obstetrics. 2011;284:215-220. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-010-1609-8
- Jeon YW, Lim ST, Choi HJ, Suh YJ. Weight change and its impact on prognosis after adjuvant TAC (docetaxel-doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide) chemotherapy in Korean women with node-positive breast cancer. Medical Oncology. 2014;31:849. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0849-z
- Winkels RM, Beijer S, Lieshout RV, Barneveld DV, Hofstede J, Kuiper J, et al. Changes in body weight during various types of chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. e-SPEN Journal. 2014;9:39-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnme.2013.10.004
- Han HS, Lee KW, Kim JH, Kim SW, Kim IA, Oh DY, et al. Weight changes after adjuvant treatment in Korean women with early breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2009;114:147-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-9984-6
- Korean Oncology Nursing Society. Distress and Quality of Life in Breast Cancer Survivors in Korea [Internet]. Seoul: Korean Oncology Nursing Society; 2012 [cited 2015 Feb 17]. Available from http://www.kons.or.kr.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lamg AG, Buchner A. G*Power3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral and biomedical sciences. Behavioral Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- World Health Organization. BMI classification. [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2010 [cited 2015 Mar 10]. Available from http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html.
- Veronique LS, Marie PA, Cristian V, Loic C, Antoine T, Thierry N, et al. Discordance in early breast cancer for tumour grade, estrogen receptor, progesteron receptors and Human epidermal receptor-2 status between core needle biopsy and surgical excisional primary tumour. The Breast. 2011;.20:284-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2010.12.007
- American Joint Committee on Cancer. Cancer Staging Manual [Internet]. Philadelphia: American Joint Committee on Cancer; 1998 [cited 2015 Mar 12]. Available from https://cancerstaging.org.
- Pirlich M, Schutz T, Kemps M, Luhman N, Burmester GR, Baumann G, et al. Prevalence of malnutrition in hospitalized medical patients impact of underlying disease. Digestive Diseases. 2003;21;245-251. https://doi.org/10.1159/000073342
- Daling JR, Malone KE, Doody DR, Johnson LG, Gralow JR, Porter PL. Relation of body mass index to tumor markers and survival among young women with invasive ductal breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2001;92:720-729. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010815)92:4<720::AID-CNCR1375>3.0.CO;2-T
- Seo NS, Kim SJ. Differences in body mass index, anxiety, depression, and fatigue by physical activities in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2011;23(4):386-396.
- Chun MS, Moon SM, Lee HJ, Lee EH, Song YS, Chung YS, et al. Arm morbidity after breast cancer treatments and analysis of related factors. Radiation Oncology. 2005;23(1):32-42.
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, McCready D, Koo J, Sidlofsky, S, et al. Adjuvant treatment and onset of menopause predict weight gain after breast cancer diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1999;17:120-129. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1918.104.22.168
- Bosaeus I, Daneryd P, Lundholm K. Dietary intake, resting energy expenditure, weight loss and survival in cancer patients. Journal of Nutrition. 2002;132(11): 3465-3466. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.11.3465S