- Volume 17 Issue 6
An alternative type of building system with masonry units is extensively used nowadays to reduce the emission of CO2 and embodied energy. Long-term performance of such structures has become essential for sustaining the building technology. This study aims to assess the strength and durability properties of concrete prepared with unprocessed bagasse ash (BA) and silica fume (SF). A mix proportion of 1:3:3 was used to cast concrete cubes of size
concrete;bagasse ash;Silica fume;compressive strength;durability;mass loss
- Amudhavalli, N.K. and Mathew, J. (2012), "Effect of silica fume on strength and durability parameters of concrete", Int. J. Eng. Sci. Emerg. Tech., 3(1), 28-35.
- ASTM C 150 (1997), Standard specification for Portland cement, Annual Book of ASTM Standards. American Society for Testing and Material.
- ASTM C136-06, "Standard test method for sieve analysis of fine and coarse aggregates".
- ASTM C1602 / C1602M-12, "Standard specification for mixing water used in the production of Hydraulic cement concrete."
- Santhanam, M. and Dhanya, B.S. (2013), "Performance specifications for concrete construction in India: Are we ready?", The Ind. Concrete J., 36-43, September.
- Ganesan, N., Bharati Raj, J. and. Shashikala, A.P. (2012), "Strength and durability studies of self compacting rubberised concrete" ,The Ind. Concrete J.,15-24, September.
- Cordeiro, G.C., Toledo Filho, R.D., Tavares, L.M. and Fairbairn, E.D.M.R. (2009), "Ultrafine grinding of sugar cane bagasse ash for application as pozzolanic admixture in concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 39(2), 110-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2008.11.005
- Indian Standard code of practice 2185 (2005), "Indian standard: concrete masonry units-specification (Part 1) Hollow and solid concrete blocks (Third Revision)".
- Patel, J.A. and Raijiwala, D.B. (2015), "Experimental study on compressive strength of concrete by partially replacement of cement with sugar cane bagasse ash", Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl., 5(4), ( Part -7) April.
- Kawade, U.R., Rathi, V.R. and Girge, V.D. (2013), "Effect of use of bagasse ash on strength of concrete", Eng. Tech., 2(7), 2997-3000.
- Lee, S.T., Moon, H.Y. and Swamy, R.N. (2005), "Sulfate attack and role of silica fume in resisting strength loss", Cement Concrete Compos., 27(1), 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2003.11.003
- Luther, M.D. and Hansen, W. (1989), "Comparison of creep and shrinkage of high-strength silica fume concretes with fly ash concretes of similar strength, fly ash, silica fume, slag, and natural pozzolans in concrete", Proceedings of the Third CANMET/ACI International Conference, SP-114, V. M. Malhotra, ed., American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Mich., 1, 573-591.
- Mahdikhani, M. and Ramezanianpour, A.A. (2014), "Mechanical properties and durability of self consolidating cementitious materials incorporating nano silica and silica fume", Comput. Concrete, 14(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.2.175
- Mangat, P.S. and Khatib, J.M. (1993), "Influence of fly ash, silica fume, and slag on sulfate resistance of concrete", Mater. J., 92(5), 542-552.
- Mehta, P.K. (1999), "Concrete technology for sustainable development in the twenty-first century", New Delhi: Cement Manufactures' Association, 1-22.
- Frias, M., Villar-Cocina, E. and Valencia-Morales, E. (2007), "Characterisation of sugar cane straw waste as pozzolanic material for construction: calcining temperature and kinetic parameters", Waste Manage., 27(4), 533-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.02.017
- Jalal, M. (2014), "Corrosion resistant self-compacting concrete using micro and nano silica admixtures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 51(3), 403-412. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.51.3.403
- Karri, S.K., Rao, G.R. and Raju, P.M. (2015), "Strength and durability studies on GGBS concrete", Int. J.Civil Eng., 2(10), 34-41. https://doi.org/10.14445/23488352/IJCE-V2I10P106
- Sellevold, E.J. and Nilsen, T. (1987), "Condensed silica fume in concrete: a world review", Supplementary Cementing Materials for Concrete, V. M. Malhotra, ed., CANMET, Ottawa, Canada, 165-243.
- Siddamreddy, A.K. Reddy, K. and Chandrasekhar, R. (2013), "Effect of fly ash on strength and durability parameters of concrete", Int. J. Sci. Res., 4(5), 368-1370.
- Siddique, R., and Iqbal Khan, M. (2011), Supplementary cementing materials, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 67-116.
- Sivakumar, G., Hariharan, V. and Barathan, S. (2013), "Preparation of bio-cement using sugarcane bagasse ash and its hydration behavior", Int. J. Sci. Eng. Tech. Res., 2(10).
- Subramani.T, Prabhakaran.M (2015),"Experimental study on bagasse ash in concrete", International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM), 4(5), May, 163-172.
- Srinivasan, R. and Sathiya, K. (2010), "Experimental study on bagasse ash in concrete", Int. J. Service Learn. Eng., Humanitarian Eng. Social Entrepreneurship, 5(2), 60-66. https://doi.org/10.24908/ijsle.v5i2.2992
- IS 516-1959, "Indian standard methods of tests for strength of concrete", Bureau of Indian Standards, NewDelhi.