- Volume 27 Issue 5
In general, noise measurement results show larger random ripple than those of the network analyzer. The reason for the lager random ripple of the noise measurements is considered that the general noise measurements uses absolute measured noise powers, while the network analyzer measures using a ratio of the measured powers. In this paper, a novel measurement method of noise correlation matrix using relative noise ratios is proposed. Proposed method measures the five noise powers of DUT for the five input impedance variations and the four relative noise ratios are formed using the five measured noise powers. The four noise ratios are used to compute the noise correlation matrix and noise parameters. The resulting noise parameters for a 0.5 dB attenuator show good agreements with theoretical values calculated by S-parameters. Also, the noise parameters of an active DUT with a noise figure of less than 1 dB are measured and the measured results show a small random ripple as expected and their values are physically acceptable. In conclusion, the proposed method can be applied to the noise parameter measurements for DUT with a noise figure below 1 dB.
Irregular Ripple;Noise Correlation Matrix;Relative Noise Ratio
- IRE Subcommittee on Noise, "IRE standards on methods of measuring noise in linear two ports 1959", Proc. IRE, vol. 48, pp. 60-68, Jan. 1960. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRPROC.1960.287380
- R. Q. Lane, "The determination of device noise parameter", Proc. IEEE, vol. 57, pp. 1461-1462, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1969.7311
- M. S. Gupta, "Determination of the noise parameters of a linear 2-port", Electron. Lett., vol. 6, no. 17, pp. 543-544, Aug. 1970. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19700377
- M. Garelli, G. A. Ferrero, and S. Bonino, "A complete noise- and scattering-parameters test-set", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 716-724, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2009.2013315
- A. -R. Ahmed, K. -W. Yeom, "An extraction of two-port noise parameters from measured noise powers using an extended six-port network", IEEE Trans on Microwave Theory and Tech., vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 2423-2434, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2014.2345693
- 염경환, 압둘-라흐만, "6-포트 회로망을 이용한 잡음 파라미터 측정", 한국전자파학회논문지, 26(2), pp. 119-126, 2015년 2월.
- 이동현, 압둘-라흐만, 이성우, 염경환, "8-포트 회로망을 이용한 온-웨이퍼형 DUT의 잡음 파라미터 측정", 한국전자파학회논문지, 25(8), pp. 808-820, 2014년 8월.
- 이동현, 염경환, "스펙트럼 분석기를 이용한 2가지 잡음 파라미터 측정방법과 비교", 한국전자파학회논문지, 26(12), pp. 1072-1082, 2015년 12월.
- S. W. Wedge, "Computer-aided design of low noise microwave circuits", Ph.D. Dissertation, California Institute of Technology, 1991.
- S. W. Wedge, D. B. Rutledge, "Wave techniques for noise modeling and measurement", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. vol. 40, no. 11, Nov. 1992.
- H. Hillbrand, P. H. Russer, "An efficient method for computer aided noise analysis of linear amplifier networks", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, Apr. 1976.
- K. -W. Yeom, Microwwave Circuit Design A Practical Approach Using ADS, Prentice Hall, 2015.
- AST54S, Low Noise Amplifier, ASB, Available: http://www.asb.co.kr
- M. Pospieszalski, "On the measurement of noise parameters of microwave two-ports", IEEE Trans on Microwave Theory and Tech., vol. MTT-34, no. 4, pp. 456-458, Apr. 1986.
- Keysight Technologies, NFA Noise Figure Analyzer Quick Reference Guide, [Available on line] http://www.keysight.com/
- Keysight Technologies, Noise Figure Measurement Accuracy- The Y-Factor Method, Application Note, [Available on line] http://www.keysight.com/
Supported by : 한국연구재단