- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Recovery of Cobalt from Synthetic Leaching Solution of Manganese Nodule Matte by Solvent Extraction-electrowinning
용매추출-전해채취법에 의한 망간단괴 매트상 모의 침출용액으로부터 코발트 회수
Kim, Hyun-Ho;Nam, Chul-Woo;Park, Kyung-Ho;Yoon, Ho-Sung;Kim, Min-Seuk;Kim, Chul-Joo;Park, Sang-Woon
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
A scale up tests (380 kg/day) using a continuous solvent extraction and electro-winning system was carried out to separate and recover cobalt from a solution containing 1.91 g/L Co and 14.65 g/L Ni. The solution was obtained during a process including solvent extraction and precipitation stages for removal of Cu and Fe from a synthetic sulfuric acid solution of manganese nodule matte. The optimal condition for solvent extraction was : solvent concentration of 0.22M Na-Cyanex 272 (45% saponified with NaOH) and O:A phase ratios of 1:1.5, 10:1 and 1.5:1 used in extraction, scrubbing and stripping stages, respectively. The extraction and stripping efficiencies were found to be 99.8% and 99.88%, respectively. The stripped solution contained 40.27 g/L Co with 4 ppm Ni. Cobalt metal of 99.963% purity was yielded with current efficiency of 67% and current density of
Manganese nodules;Cobalt recovery;Solvent extraction;Electro-winning
- G. Sebabayake, 2011 : Acid leaching of metals from deepsea manganese nodules - a critical review of fundamentals and applications, Miner. Eng., 24(13), pp1379-1396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2011.06.003
- K. H. Park, C. W. Nam, H. I. Kim and J. T. Park, 2005 : Treatment of metal wastes with manganese nodules, J. of the korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 14(4), pp17-21.
- B. W. Haynes, M. J. Magyar and F. E. Godoy, 1987 : Extractive metallurgy of ferromanganese crusts from necker ridge area, Hawaiian Exclusives Economic Zone. Mar. Min., 6, pp23-36.
- K. Jung, 1993 : A review of processing of deep-sea nodules and crusts, CSIRO division of mineral and process engineering, CSIRO Com 788, CSIRO Report, Australia.
- K. H. Park, C. W. Nam and H. I. Kim, 2004 : High temperature and high pressure sulfuric acid leaching of (Cu-Ni-Co-Fe) matte, J. Korean. Soc. Geosystem. Eng., 41(5), pp1-5.
- K. H. Park, D. Mohapatra, B. R. Reddy and C. W. Nam, 2007 : A study on the oxidative ammoina/ammonium sulphate leaching of a complex (Cu-Ni-Co-Fe) matte, Hydrometallurgy, 86, pp164-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2006.11.012
- H. H. Kim, K. H. Park, C. W. Nam, H. S. Yoon, M. S. Kim, C. J. Kim and S. W. Park, 2016 : Recovery of copper from Synthetic Leaching solution of manganese nodule matte by solvent extraction-electrowinning process, J. of the korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 25(1), pp1-8.
- K. H. Park, C. W. Nam, H. H. Kim and S. P. Barik, 2013 : Removal of copper from the solution containing copper, nickel, cobalt and iron, J. of the korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 22(6), pp48-54.
- D. S. Flett, 2004 : Cobalt-Nickel separation in hydrometallurgy : A review, Chemistry for sustainable development, 12, pp81-91.
- A. Fenandes, J. C. Afonso and A. J. B. Dutra, 2013 : Separation of nickel(II), cobalt(II) and lanthanides from spent Ni-MH batteries by hydrochloric acid leaching, solvent extraction and precipitation, Hydrometallurgy, 133, pp37-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2012.11.017
- N. A. Sayar, M. Filiz and A. A. Sayar, 2009 : Extraction of Co(II) and Ni(II) from concentrated HCl solution using Alamine 336, Hydrometallurgy, 96, pp148-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2008.09.005
- N. B. Devi, K. C. Nathsarma and V. Chakravortty, 1998 : Separation and recovery of cobalt(II) and nickel(II) from sulphate solutions using sodium salts of D2EHPA, PC88A and Cyanex 272, Hydrometallurgy, 49, pp47-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-386X(97)00073-X
- T. Y. Kim, S. H. Ryu and J. W. Ahn, 2015 : Separation of copper & cobalt by solvent extraction in organic acid leaching solution, J. of the korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 24(3), pp3-10.
- K. H. Park, B. R. Reddy, S. H. Jung and D. Mohapatra, 2006 : Transfer of cobalt and nickel from sulphate solutions to spent electrolyte through solvent extraction and stripping, Sep Purif Technol, 51, pp265-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2006.02.007
- K. H. Park, S. H. Jung, C. W. Nam, S. M. Shin and D. S. Kim, 2004 : Solvent extraction of cobalt by cyanex 272 from sulfuric acid solution containing nickel and cobalt, Korean J. Met. Mater., 42(11), pp947-951.
- K. H. Park and D. Mohapatra 2006 : Process for cobalt separation and recovery in the presence of nickel from sulphate solutions by Cyanex 272, Met. Mater. Int., 12(5), pp441-446. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03027712
- B. R. Reddy and K. H. Park, 2007 : Process for the recovery of cobalt and nickel from sulfate leach liquors with saponified Cyanex 272 and D2EHPA, Sep Sci Technol, 42(9), pp2067-2080. https://doi.org/10.1080/01496390701310496
Grant : 해양광물자원 탐사 및 이용기술개발
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원