- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis for Valuable Materials Disassembled from 40- and 42-inched Waste LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays)
폐 중형 (40인치와 42인치) LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) 제품 해체 후 분리된 유가자원에 대한 분석
Park, Hun-Su;Kim, Yong;Hong, Hyun Seon
- Received : 2016.03.08
- Accepted : 2016.04.19
- Published : 2016.04.30
Although the generation of waste flat panel displays in Korea is expected to exceed one million sets in 2016, a comprehensive recycling technology has not yet been developed for effective recovery of valuable materials from the wastes, rendering to outshine the national prestige as a global leader in display industries. The overall aim of this study was to analyze the statistical data of various valuable materials and their ratio after dismantling 40-inch and 42-inch sized waste LCDs. The analysis results showed that plastic portion of the wastes was about 22% and the portion of PCB (Print Circuit Board) part was about 9% by weight whereas panel part was about 34% and leftovers including metals totalled about 35% by weight. Based on the analytical results, a higher value recycling process could be proposed with advanced material separation techniques.
Waste LCDs;Valuable material;Database (DB);Dismantling
- Li, J. et al., 2009: Recovery of Valuable Materials from Waste Liquid Crystal Display Panel, Waste Manag., 29, pp. 2033-2039. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.12.013
- Hong, H. S. et al., 2010: Overview and Future Concerns for Recycling Display Wastes, Korea Industrial Chemistry News, 13 (1), pp. 10-19.
- Lee, S. K. et al., 2013: Disassembly and Compositional Analysis of Waste LCD Displays, J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 22 (2), pp. 29-36.
- Cryan, J. et al., 2010: Demonstration of Flat Panel Display Recycling Technologies, WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme), Banbury, UK.
- Böni, H. and Widmer, R., 2011: Disposal of Flat Panel Display Monitors in Switzerland, Final Report, EMPA (Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology), St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- Park, J. L. et al., 2014: Decontamination of Mercury Contained in CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescence Light) Disassembled from Waste LCDs (Liquid Crystal Display), J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 23 (2), pp. 61-70.
- Chung, J. C. et al., 2003: Development of Institutional System for Efficient Recycling of Waste Plastic, Korea Organic Resource Recycling Association, 11 (1), pp. 138-148.
- Yoo, J. Y. et al., 2005: Competitive analysis and Industry status for Component and materials of Display, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information.
Supported by : 환경부