- Volume 65 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Capacity Credit and Reasonable ESS Evaluation of Power System Including WTG combined with Battery Energy Storage System
에너지저장장치와 결합한 WTG를 포함하는 전력계통의 Capacity Credit 평가 및 ESS 적정규모 평가방안
- Received : 2016.03.21
- Accepted : 2016.05.04
- Published : 2016.06.01
This paper proposes a new method for evaluating Effective Load Carrying Capability(ELCC) and capacity credit(C.C.) of power system including Wind Turbine Generator(WTG) combined with Battery Energy Storage System(BESS). WTG can only generate electricity power when the fuel(wind) is available. Because of fluctuation of wind speed, WTG generates intermittent power. In view point of reliability of power system, intermittent power of WTG is similar with probabilistic characteristics based on power on-off due to mechanical availability of conventional generator. Therefore, high penetration of WTG will occur difficulties in power operation. The high penetration of numerous and large capacity WTG can make risk to power system adequacy, quality and stability. Therefore, the penetration of WTG is limited in the world. In recent, it is expected that BESS installed at wind farms may smooth the wind power fluctuation. This study develops a new method to assess how much is penetration of WTG able to extended when Wind Turbine Generator(WTG) is combined with Battery Energy Storage System(BESS). In this paper, the assessment equation of capacity credit of WTG combined with BESS is formulated newly. The simulation program, is called GNRL_ESS, is developed in this study. This paper demonstrates a various case studies of ELCC and capacity credit(C.C.) of power system containing WTG combined with BESS using model system as similar as Jeju island power system. The case studies demonstrate that not only reasonable BESS capacity for a WTG but also permissible penetration percent of WTG combined with BESS and reasonable WTG capacity for a BESS can be decided.
Effective Load Carrying Capability(ELCC);Capacity Credit(C.C.);Wind Turbine Generator(WTG);Battery Energy Storage System(BESS);Monte Carlo Simulation(MCS);ESS reliability contribution
- L. L. Garver, "Effective Load Carrying Capability of Generating Units" IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, vol. PAS-85, no. 8, pp. 910-919, Aug. 1966. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1966.291652
- Michael Milligan and Brian Parsons, "A Comparison and Case Study of Capacity Credit Algorithms for Intermittent Generators", NREL Report, NREL/CP-440 -22591, contract No. DE-AC36-83CH10093, March 1997.
- Wijarn Wangdee and Roy Billinton, "Considering Load-Carrying Capability and Wind Speed Correlation of WECS in Generation Adequacy Assessment", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 21, no. 3, Sep. 2006.
- R. Billinton, D. Huang and B. Karki, "Wind Power Planning and Operating Capacity Credit Assessment", PMAPS 2010, Singapore, pp.814-819, June 2010.
- Lingfeng Wang and Chanan Singh, "An Alternative Method for Estimating Wind-Power Capacity Credit based on Reliability Evaluation Using Intelligent Search", PMAPS 2008, Rincon, pp.1-6, May 2008.
- A. Keane, M. Milligan, C. J. Dent, B. Hasche, C. D'Annunzio, K. Dragoon, H. Holttinen, N. Samaan, L. Soder and M. O'Malley, "Capacity Value of Wind Power", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.26, no. 2, pp.564-572, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2062543
- Ki-Seon Cho and Chang-Ho Rhee, "A Study on Methodologies of Feed-in Tariffs for Renewable Energy Generation", 2006 KIEE Summer Conference, pp.1175-1476, July 2006.
- Jeongje Park and Jaeseok Choi, "Development of Methodology of New Effective Installed Reserve Rate considering Renewable Energy Generators", Journal of KIEE, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp.26-32, Jan. 2010.
- P. Hu, R. Karki and Roy Billinton, "Reliability Evaluation of Generating Systems Containing Wind Power and Energy Storage", Journal of IET Generation, Tran- smission & Distribution, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 783-791, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2008.0639
- P. Hu, "Thesis: Reliability Evaluation of Electric Power Systems Including Wind Power and Energy Storage", University of Saskatchewan, Oct. 2009.
- Z. Y. Gao and Peng Wang, "Reliability Evaluation of Power Systems with WTGs and Energy Storage", IPEC, 2010 Conference Proceedings, Singapore, 2010. 10. pp. 27-29.
- Carmen L. T. Borges and Eduardo Cantarino, "Microgrids Reliability Evaluation with Renewable Distributed Generation and Storage Systems", the 18th IFAC World Congress, Milano (Italy), pp. 11695-11700, 2011. 08. 28.-09. 02.
- Ungjin Oh, Yeonchan Lee, Jintaek Lim, Jaeseok Choi, Yongbeum Yoon, Byunghoon Chang and Sungmin Cho, "Reliability Evaluation with Wind Turbine Generators and an Energy Storage System for the Jeju Island Power System", Journal of KIEE, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 1-7, Jan. 2015.
- Kyeonghee Cho, Jeongje Park, and Jaeseok Choi, "Probabilistic Reliability Based Grid Expansion Planning of Power System Including Wind Turbine Generators", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 698-704, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.5.698
- Jaeseok Choi, Jintaek Lim and Kwang Y. Lee, "DSM Considered Probabilistic Reliability Evaluation and an Information System for Power Systems Including Wind Turbine Generators", IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 425-432, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2234150
- R. Karki, P. Hu and R. Billinton, "A Simplified Wind Power Generation Model for Reliability Evaluation", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, No. 2, June 2006.
- Roy Billinton and Wenyuan Li, "Reliability Assessment of Electric Power Systems Using Monte Carlo Methods", Plenum Press, 1994.
- Jaeseok Choi, "Power System Reliability Evaluation Engineering", G&U Press, 2013, (written by Korean, ISBN 978-89-6257-060-1).
- Ungjin Oh, Yeonchan Lee, Jaeseok Choi, Yongbeum Yoon, Byunghoon Chang, Jun-Min Cha, "Development of Reliability Contribution Function of Power System including Wind Turbine Generators combined with Battery Energy Storage System", Journal of KIEE, Vol. 65, No. 3, pp. 371-381, March 2016.
- Lennart Soder and Mikael Amelin, "A review of different methodologies used for calculation of wind power capacity credit", IEEE GM2008, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, July 2008.
- Cornel Ensslin, Michael Milligan, Hannele Holttinen, Mark O'Malley, and Andrew Keane, "Current Method to Calculate Credit of Wind Power, IEA Collaboration" IEEE GM2008, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, July 2008.
- MISO, "Planning Year 2014-2015 Wind Capacity Credit", MISO Report, December 2013.
Supported by : 한국전력연구원, 한국전기연구원, 한국연구재단