- Volume 65 Issue 6
Fault location estimation is an important element for rapid recovery of power system when fault occur in transmission line. In order to calculate line impedance, most of fault location algorithm uses by measuring relaying waveform using DFT. So if there is a calculation error due to the influence of phasor by DC offset component, due to large vibration by line impedance computation, abnormal and non-operation of fault locator can be issue. It is very important to implement the robust fault location algorithm that is not affected by DC offset component. This paper describes an enhanced fault location algorithm based on the DC offset elimination filter to minimize the effects of DC offset on a long transmission line. The proposed DC offset elimination filter has not need any erstwhile information. The phase angle delay of the proposed DC offset filter did not occurred and the gain error was not found. The enhanced fault location algorithm uses DFT filter as well as the proposed DC offset filter. The behavior of the proposed fault location algorithm using off-line simulation has been verified by data about several fault conditions generated by the ATP simulation program.
ATP;DC offset component;DC offset elimination filter;DFT;Fault location estimation;Line impedance;Phasor;Relaying signal;Transmission line
- IEEE Tutorial Course, "Advancements in Microprocessor based Protection and Communication", The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., pp. 63-72, 1997.
- S. H. Horowitz, A.G. Phadke, "Power System Relaying", John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, RSP, pp. 1-331, 2008.
- M. H. J. Bollen, "Traveling-wave-based protection of double-circuit", Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., C, Vol. 140, No. 1, pt. C, pp. 37-47, 1993. 1.
- G. B. Ancell and N. C. Pahalawaththa, "Maximum likelihood estimation of fault location on transmission lines using traveling waves", IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 680-689, 1994. 4. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.296245
- S.H. Kang, J.K. Park, "A New Digital Distance Relaying Algorithm Based on Fast Haar Transformation Techniques with Half a Cycle Offset Free Data", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 41, No. 9, pp. 973-983, 1992. 9.
- Y.J. Kwon, S.H. Kim, S.H. Kang, "Transmission Line Fault Location Algorithm Using Estimated Local Source Impedance", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 58. No. 5, pp. 885-890, 2009. 5.
- J. Y. Heo, C.H. Kim, S.M. Yeo, "A Dynamic Simulation of Distance Relay Using EMTP MODELS", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 52A. No. 1, pp. 17-28, 2003. 1.
- J.G. Lee, S.K. You, "The Real-Time Distance Relay Algorithm Using Fault Location Estimation Information for Parallel Transmission Line", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 52A. No. 3, pp. 183-192, 2003. 3.
- S.H. Kang, J.H. Kim, "A Fault Location Algorithm for a Transmission Line Using Traveling Waves", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 53A, No. 10, pp. 542-549, 2004. 10.
- M.S. Choi, S.J. Lee, S.I. Lee, B.G. Jin, D.S. Lee, "A New Line to Line Fault Location Algorithm in Distribution Power Networks using 3 Phase Direct Analysis", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 51A No. 9, pp. 467-473, 2004. 9.
- D.G. Lee, S.H. Kang, "Distance Relaying Algorithm Using a DFT-based Modified Phasor Estimation Method", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 59, No. 8, pp. 1360-1365, 2010. 8.
- H.S. Jung, B.K. Lee, C.W. Park, S.M. Yun, W.G. Jung, M.C. Shin, C.H. Kim, "A Neural Networks Fault Patterns Estimator for the Digital Distance Relaying Technique", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 47, No. 11, pp. 1804-18110, 1998. 11.
- H.K. Park, J.G. Lee, S.K. You, "Fault Location Algorithm in Parallel Transmission Line Using Zero Sequence Network", KIEE Annual Conference, pp. 282-284, 1999. 11.
- D.G. Lee, S.H. Kang, "Distance Relaying Algorithm Using a DFT-based Phasor Estimating Method", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 59, No. 8, pp. 1360-1365, 2010. 8.
- S.H Hyun, B.G. Jin. S.J. Lee, "Agent-Based Distance Relay Algorithm for Phase-to Ground Faults", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 56, No. 11, pp. 1885-1891, 2007. 11.
- Y.C. Kang, H.G. Kang, T.Y. Zheng, Y.H. Kim, Y.G. Lee, "Distance Relaying Algorithm for Intertie Protection of Wind Farm Considering the Fault Ride-through Requirement", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 1053-1058, 2010. 6.
- S.E. Noh, J.S. Kim, Y.G. Kim, J.C. Kim, S.H. Lim, "Analysis on Operational Characteristics of Distance Relay due to Application of Superconducting Fault Current Limiter in a Simulated Power Transmission Systems", Journal of KIIEE, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 40-46, 2014. 8.
- K.K. Li, L.L. Lai, A.K. David, "Stand Alone Intelligent Distance Relay", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 137-142, 2000. 2. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.852112
- M. Singh, B.K. Panigrahi, A.R. Abhyankar, "Combined Optimal Distance to Overcurrent Relay Coordination", 2012 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems, Bengaluru, India, 978-1-4673-4508-8, pp. 1-6, 2012. 12.
- M.H. Idris, M.S. Ahmad, A.Z. Abdullah, S. Hardi, "Adaptive Mho Type Distance Relaying Scheme with Fault Resistance Compensation", 2013 IEEE 7th International Power Engineering and Optimization Conference (PEOCO 2013), Langkawi, Malaysia NDICON), 978-1-4673-5074-7, pp. 213-217, 2013. 6.
- J. Mooney, R. Cunico, "IEEE Guide for Determining Fault Location on AC Transmission and Distribution Lines", IEEE Standards Association, IEEE Std. C37.114, pp. 1-76, 2014.
- C.W. Park, H.W. Yoon, "A Study on Accurate Phasor Extraction Using a New Offset Elimination Filter", Journal of KIIEE, Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 29-36, 2013. 7.
- C.W. Park, "Advanced DC Offset Removal Filter of High-order Configuration", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 62P, No. 1, pp. 12-17, 2013. 3.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 인텍전기전자