- Volume 65 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Clustered Segment Index Scheme for P2P VOD Service on Virtual Mesh Overlay Network
가상 메시 오버레이 네트워크상에서의 P2P VOD 서비스를 위한 클러스터 세그먼트 인덱스 기법
Lim, Pheng-Un;Choi, Hwang-Kyu
- Received : 2016.02.12
- Accepted : 2016.05.10
- Published : 2016.06.01
Video-on-Demand(VoD) is one of the most popular media streaming which attracted many researchers' attention. VMesh is one of the most cited works in the field of the VoD system. VMesh is proposed to solve the problem of random seeking functionality. However, a large number of the DHT(Distributed Hash Table) searches in VMesh is sill the main problem which needs to be solved. In order to reduce the number of the DHT searches, the clustered segment index(CSI) scheme is proposed. In this scheme, the video segments are divided into clusters. The segment information of the video segments, which are clustered into the same cluster, are stored in the same clustered segment index that can be searched by using the hash key. Each peer also can request the required segments by using this clustered segment index. The experiment results show that the number of the DHT searches in the proposed scheme is less than that of VMesh even in case of peers leave and join the network or peers perform the fast forward/backward operations.
Video-on-Demand;Distributed hash table;Peer-to-Peer;Clustered segment index
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Liben-Nowell, D.R. Karger, M.F. Kaashoek, F. Dabek and H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: a Scalable Peer-to-Peer Lookup Protocol for Internet Applications," IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2003.
- Y. Huang, T. Z. Fu, D.-M. Chiu, J. C. Lui and C. Huang, "Challenges, Design and Analysis of a Large-Scale P2P-VOD System," SIGCOMM '08, New York, NY, USA, pp.375-388, 2008.
- Y. Lin, Y. Guo and C. Liang, "A Survey on Peer-to-Peer Video Streaming Systems," Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.18-28, March 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12083-007-0006-y
- W. Yiu, X. Jin and S. Chan, "Vmesh: Distributed Segment Storage for Peer-to-Peer Interactive Video Streaming," Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal, 25(9), pp.1717- 1731, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2007.071210
- A. Bhattacharya, Z. Yang and S. Zhang, "Temporal-DHT and Its Application in P2P-VoD Systems," 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, Taichung, Taiwan, pp.81-88, Dec. 2010.
- H. K. Choi, Y. Q. Gui, S. H. Seo, C. H. Ko and J. H. Seo, "TDM: Time-Driven Mesh Overlay Network for Peer-to-Peer Video-on-Demand Services," International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery, Beijing, China, pp.100-106, Oct. 2011.
- T. Do, K. Hua and M.A. Tantaoui, "P2VoD: Providing Fault Tolerant Video-on-Demand Streaming in Peer-to-Peer Environment," IEEE ICC, 2004.
- J. Li, "Peerstreaming: A Practical Receiver-Driven Peer-to-Peer Media Streaming System," Microsoft Research TR-2004-101, Sept. 2004.
- H. K. Choi and C. D. Suh, "Clustered Segment Index-Based Virtual Mesh Overlay Network for Peer to Peer Video-on-Demand Service," Proc. of 2012 KICS Summer Conference, June 2012.
Supported by : Kangwon National University