- Volume 29 Issue 2
Anal and perianal condyloma acuminatum(CA), which is a large cauliflower-like tumor, is a manifestation of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. HPV may be acquired via sexual transmission, vertical transmission or nonsexual contact. It is an uncommon condition in children but the incidence in children has been increasing recently. There are many therapies for CA including chemical or physical destruction, immunological therapy, or a surgical excision. All these procedures have some degree of limitations such as limited clearance rate, high recurrence rate, pain, bleeding, release of potentially infectious aerosols and scar. It may be traumatic mentally to the children as well as physically. Korean Medicine included herbal treatment and herbal ointment for CA is no pain, and it doesn't need an anesthesia. We present a case of anal and perianal CA in a 2 years old boy that was treated successfully with Korean Medicine, with no recurrence during the follow up 3 months.
anal and perianal;condyloma acuminatum;children;korean medicine
- Forcier M, Musacchio N. An overview of human papillomavirus infection for the dermatologist: disease, diagnosis, management, and prevention. Dermatol Ther. 2010;23:458-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8019.2010.01350.x
- Haudley J, Hanks E, Armstrong K, Bingham A, Dinsmore W, Swann A, et al. Common association of HPV 2 with agogenital warts in prepubertal children. Pediatr Dermatol. 1997;14:339-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1470.1997.tb00976.x
- Marcoux D, Nadeau K, McCuaig C, Oligny LL. Pediatric anogenital warts: a 7-year review of children referred to a tertiary-care hospital in Montreal, Canada. Pediatr Dermatol. 2006; 23:199. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1470.2006.00218.x
- Stenfanaki C, Barkas G, Valari M. Condylomata acuminata in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:422. https://doi.org/10.1097/INF.0b013e318245a589
- Ornstein A, Hatchette T. Human papillomavirus and anogenital warts in children. CMAJ. 2012;184(3):321. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.111021
- Jesus LE, Cirne Nato O.S.L, Nascimento L.M.M, Araujo R.C, Baptista A.A. Anogenital warts in children: sexual abuse or unintenional contamination? Cad Sande publica Riode Janeiro. 2001;17(6):1383-91. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-311X2001000600022
- Heo J. Donguibogam(Principles and Practice of Eastern Medicine). Seoul: Bubin publishers co. 1999:824-5.
- Unger ER, Fajman NN, Maloney EM, Onyekwuluje J, Swan DC, Howard L, et al. Anogenital human papillomavirus in sexually abused and nonabused children: a multicenter study. Pediatrics. 2011;128(3):658-65.
- Ryu HJ, Kim GN, Kim JW, Oh CH, Song HJ. Pulsed dye laser treatment of agogenital condyloma acuminata in a child. Korean J dermatol. 2002;40(3):324-6.
- Kim HY, Lee KH, Kim NL, Park YH. Anal and perianal condyloma acuminatum in a 2 years old child. J korean assoc pediatr sur. 2010;16(1):32-6.
- Kelly A. S, Charles R. W. Venereal Warts in Children. J Am Acad Pediatr. 2011;32(3):115-21.
- Singh KG, Bajaj AK, Sharma R. Perianal condyloma acuminatum in an infant. Int J Dermatol. 1988;27:181-2. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4362.1988.tb04927.x
- Ahn SG et al. Common skin deases. Pacific publishers co. 2003:182-3.
- Mario M, Fabiana G. Treatment of genital lesions with diode laser vaporization. BMC Urology. 2015;15:39-45. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12894-015-0033-6
- Lee KY, Lee E, Cho NK. Korean Medicine Treatment for 326 patients with Genital Warts : Retrospective Chart Review. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2015;28(4):196-207. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2015.28.4.196
- Ryu HJ, Kim GN, Kim JW. Pulsed dye laser treatment of anogenital condyloma acuminate in a child. Korean J dermatol. 2002;40(3):324-6.
- Lee KY, Lee E, Cho NK. Two cases report of verruca plana that developed after laser hair removal. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2015;28(2):112-20. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2015.28.2.112