- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Haedoksamul-tang on Trimellitic Anhydride-induced Contact Hypersensitivity in a Mouse Model
해독사물탕(解毒四物湯)이 피부 접촉성 과민반응에 미치는 영향(影響)
Jeon, Young-Kyun;Jung, Myung;Bok, Young-Ok;Lee, Eun-Hye;Lim, Kyu-Sang;Yun, Young-Gab
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.05.25
Objectives : Haedoksamul-tang (HSTE), a water extract from a mixture of Phellodendri Cortex, Coptidis, Scutellariae Radix, Gardeniae Fructus, Angelica acutiloba Radix, Cnidii Rhizoma, Paeoniae Radix, Rehmanniae Radix, has been traditionally used for allergic skin diseases such as atopic dermatitis and contact dermatitis in oriental countries. However, little is known about the effects of aqueous extract of HSTE on trimellitic anhydride (TMA)-induced contact hypersensitivity (CHS) in a mouse model. Methods : In this study, we investigate the pharmacological effects of HSTE on TMA-induced CHS in Balb/c mice. Contact hypersensitivity was induced in mice by topically sensitizing and challenging with TMA in flank skin and ears during oral administration (for 17 days) and topical treatment (30 min before challenge) with HSTE. We examined the effects of HSTE on IgE and IgG1 levels, inflammatory parameters in ear tissues, CD4+/CD8+ ratio, cytokine and chemokine production in sera, tissues, and immune cells from TMA-sensitized mice.Results : Oral and topical administration with HSTE reduced, in a dose dependent manner, thickness and leukocyte infiltration of ear tissues and IgE levels in serum from mice sensitized with TMA. In addition, auricula lymph node cells isolated from TMA-sensitized mice significantly elevated the expression ratio of CD4+/CD8+ as well as increased the production of IL-4, IL-5, IL-13 and IFN-γ by ex vivo stimulation with antibodies against CD3 and CD28, and these inflammatory indexes, except for IFN-γ, were significantly suppressed by orally and topically administration of HSTE. Furthermore, stimulation of auricula lymph node cells from TMA-sensitized mice with antibodies against CD3 and CD28 increased the production of MCP-1/CCL2 and MIP-1α/CCL3, and these effects were inhibited in a dose-dependent manner in cells from mice treated with HSTE. Conclusions : These results suggest that HSTE can be used for treating contact hypersensitivity by inhibiting leukocyte infiltration as well as production of serum IgE and chemokine/Th2 cytokine in an animal model.
Haedoksamul-tang (HSTE);trimellitic anhydride (TMA);contact hypersensitivity (CHS);allergic skin diseases;atopic dermatitis;contact dermatitis
- Joo JH. Sinpyeondangyesimbeopbuyeo. Seoul: daeseongmunhwasa. 1999:737.
- Gong YH. Added correction of all diseases rejuvenation. Seoul:Euiseongdang. 1993:345.
- Paeng BI. Dictionary of Chinese medicine prescription Volume 10. Beijing:BeijinginminwisaengPublisher. 1997:583.
- Lee SI. Cheonjin Prescription Commentary. Seoul:Seongbosa. 1987:285-9.
- Yun YG. East Medical formulas and prescription Commentary. Seoul:Euiseongdang. 1998:63, 163-70, 533-6.
- Kang HJ, Lee HI, Cho YJ, Joo MS, Kwon YG. Comparative Analysis of Korean, Chinese and Japanese Articles about Oncheongeum Used for Curing Atopic Dermatitis. Editions of the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 2009;15:63-74.
- Lee JH. Herbal treatment prescriptions. Seoul:MedicineResearcher. 1983:541.
- SiSu DM. New Oriental prescription Commentary. Seoul:Bogeonsinbo. 1985:411.
- GooBo DD, Kye CI. Herbal Pharmacy. Seoul:DongnamPublisher. 1985:283.
- Lee SH, Yun YG. Study for treatment of atopic dermatitis in oriental medical prescription. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2006;19(3):103-17.
- Kang WH. Atlas skin diseases. Seoul:Hanmi Medical Publisher. 2003:71-5.
- Seoul National University College of Medicine Dermatology. Dermatology for medical students. Seoul:GoryeoMedical. 2006:30-7.
- Jung JY, Han GH. Common skin disease in South Korea. Seoul:MDworld. 2009:95-113.
- Ko BH. Practical Chinese traditional surgery. Shanghai:Shanghai Science and Technology Press. 1994:461.
- Hong CH. Effects of Onchung-eum Administration along with Samhwangsezegamibang on Treatment atopic Dermatitis Development in NC/Nga Mice. Wonkwang University. 2006.
- Beom HB. Effects of Onchungeum and Gamionchungeum on the Anti-allergic response and Bllod Coagulation. Kyunghee University. 1990.
- Kim YH. Anti-inflammatory Effects of Haedoksamultang in RAW 264.7 cells. Wonkwang University. 2007.
- Lonsdorf AS, Enk AH. Immunology of allergic contact dermatitis. Hautarzt. 2009;60:32-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00105-008-1642-8
- Levine SJ, Wenzel SE. Narrative review: the role of Th2 immune pathway modulation in the treatment of severe asthma and its phenotypes. Ann. Intern. Med. 2010;152:232-7. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-152-4-201002160-00008
- Bernstein DI, Patterson R, Zeiss C. Clinical and immunologic evaluation of trimellitic anhydride- and phthalic anhydride-exposed workers using a questionnaire with comparative analysis of enzymelinked immunosorbent and radioimmunoassay studies. J. Allergy. Clin. Immunol. 1982;69:311–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(82)80009-2
- Dearman RJ, Warbrick EV, Skinner R, Kimber I. Cytokine fingerprinting of chemical allergens:species comparison and statistical analyses. Food Chem. Toxicol. 2002;40:1881-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00179-5
- Sailstad DM, Ward MDW, Boykin EH, Selgrade MK. A murine model for low molecular weight chemicals: differentiation of respiratory sensitizers (TMA) from contact sensitizers (DNFB). J. Toxicol. 2003;194:147–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00338-X
- Schneider C, Döcke WD, Zollner TM, Röse L. Chronic mouse model of TMA-induced contact hypersensitivity. J. Invest. Dermatol. 2009;129(4):899-907. https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.2008.307
- Dearman RJ, Smith S, Basketter DA, Kimber I. Classification of chemical allergens according to cytokine secretion profiles of murine lymph node cells. J. Appl. Toxicol. 1996;17:53-62.
- Fukuyama T, Tajima Y, Ueda H, Hayashi K, Shutoh Y, Harada T, et al. A method for measuring mouse respiratory allergic reaction to low-dose chemical exposure to allergens: an environmental chemical of uncertain allergenicity, a typical contact allergen and a non-sensitizing irritant. Toxicol. Lett. 2010;195:35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2010.02.016
- Maintz L, Novak N. Getting more and more complex: the pathophysiology of atopic eczema. Eur. J. Dermatol. 2007;17:267-83.
- Grabbe S, Schwarz T. Immunoregulatory mechanisms involved in elicitation of allergic contact hypersensitivity. Immunol. Today. 1998;19:37-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5699(97)01186-9
- Wang B, Esche C, Mamelak A, Freed I, Watanabe H, Sauder DN. Cytokine knoctouts in contact hypersensitivity research. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2003;14:381-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6101(03)00050-9
- Spergel JM, Paller AS. Atopic dermatitis and the atopic march. J Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2003;112(6 Suppl):S118-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2003.09.033
- Leung DY, Bieber T. Atopic dermatitis. Lancet. 2003;361:151-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12193-9
- Leung DY, Boguniewicz M, Howell MD, Nomura I, Hamid QA. New insights into atopic dermatitis. J. Clin. Invest. 2004;113:651-7. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI21060
- Hopkins JE, Naisbitt DJ, Kitteringham NR, Dearman RJ, Kimber I, Park BK. Selective haptenation of cellular or extracellular protein by chemical allergens: association with cytokine polarization. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 2005;18:375-81. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx049688+
- Haile S, Lefort J, Eum EY, Dumerey C, Huerre M, Heusser C, et al. Suppression of immediate and late responses to antigen by a non-anaphylactogenic anti-IgE antibody in a murine model of asthma. Eur. Respir. J. 1989;13:961-9. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3003.1999.13e06.x
- Tumas DB, Chan B, Werther W, Wrin T, Vennari J, Desjardin N, et al. Anti-IgE efficacy in murine asthma models is dependent on the method of allergen sensitization. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2001;107:1025-33. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2001.115625
- Yokozeki H, Wu MH, Sumi K, Igawa K, Miyazaki Y, Katayama I, et al. Th2 cytokines, IgE and mast cells play a crucial role in the induction of para-phenylenediamine-induced contact hypersensitivity in mice. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2003;132:385-92. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2249.2003.02164.x
- Power CA, Proudfoot AE. The chemokine system:novel broad-spectrum therapeutic targets. Curr. Opin. Pharmacol. 2001;1:417-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1471-4892(01)00072-8
- Pivarcsi A, Homey B. Chemokine networks in atopic dermatitis:traffic signals of disease. Curr. Allergy Asthma Rep. 2005;5:284-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11882-005-0068-y
- Rollins BJ, Yoshimura T, Leonard EJ, Pober JS. Cytokine-activated human endothelial cells synthesize and secrete a monocyte chemoattractant, MCP-1/JE. Am. J. Pathol. 1990;136:1229-33.
- Münstedt K, Kalder M. Contact allergy to propolis in beekeepers. Allergol. Immunopathol (Madr). 2009;37:298-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aller.2009.04.005
- Medi BM, Singh J. Prospects for vaccines for allergic and other immunologic skin disorders. Am. J. Clin. Dermatol. 2006;7:145-53. https://doi.org/10.2165/00128071-200607030-00001