- Volume 59 Issue 1
Reservoir geomechanics can play an important role in hydrocarbon recovery mechanism. In
geomechanics;coupled;bottom hole pressure;FEM;plastic strain;stress path
- ABAQUS Unified Finite Element Analysis (2010), User's Manual Version 6.10, Providence, Rohde Island, Dassault Systemes, Simulia Corporation, USA.
- Alavi, M. (2004), "Regional stratigraphy of the Zagros fold-thrust belt of Iran and its proforeland evolution", Am. J. Sci., 304, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.2475/ajs.304.1.1
Alavian, S.A and Whitson, C. (2009), "Modeling
$CO_2$Injection in a Fractured Chalk Experiment", SPE 125362, presented at the SPE/EAGE Reservoir Characterization and Simulation Conference held in Abu Dhabi, UAE, October.
Bauer, S., Class, H., Ebert, M., Feeser, V., Gotze, H., Holzheid, A., Kolditz, O., Rosenbaum, S., Rabbel, W., Schafer, D. and Dahmke, A. (2012), "Modeling, parameterization and evaluation of monitoring methods for
$CO_2$storage in deep saline formations: the $CO_2$-MoPa project", Environ. Earth Sci., 67, 351-367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1707-y
Bielinski, A. (2007), "Numerical simulation of
$CO_2$sequestration in geological formations", Universitat Stuttgart, Mitteilungsheft.
- Biot, M.A. (1940), "General theory of three-dimensional consolidation", J. Appl. Phys., 12, 155-164.
- Blunt, M., Fayers, F.J and Orr, F.M. (1993), "Carbon dioxide in enhanced oil recovery", Energy Convers. Manage., 34(9-11), 1197-1204. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-8904(93)90069-M
- Carneiro, J.F. (2009), "Numerical simulations on the influence of matrix diffusion to carbon sequestration in double porosity fissured aquifers", Int. J. Greenhouse Gas Control, 3(4), 431-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2009.02.006
- Chales, P.A. and Roatesi, S. (1999), "A fully analytical solution of wellbore stability problem under undrained condition using a linearised Cam-Clay model", Oil Gas Sci. Tech., 54(5), 551-563. https://doi.org/10.2516/ogst:1999047
- Dean, R.H., Gai, X., Stone, C.M and Minkoff, S.E. (2003), "A comparison of techniques for coupling porous flow and geomechanics", Proceedings of the 17th SPE reservoir simulation symposium, SPE 79709.
- Dusseault, M.B. (2011), "Geomechanical challenges in petroleum reservoir exploitation", KSCE J. Civil Eng., 15(4), 669-678. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-011-0007-5
- ECLIPSE Reservoir Simulation Software (2010), Version 2010 User Guide, Schlumberger.
Eigestad, G.T., Dahle, H.K., Hellevang, B., Riis, F., Johansen, T. and Qian, E. (2009), "Geological modeling and simulation of
$CO_2$injection in the Johansen formation", Comput. Geosci., 13(4), 435-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10596-009-9153-y
- Elyasi, A., Goshtasbi, K., Saeidi, O. and Torabi, S.R. (2014). "Stress determination and geomechanical stability analysis of an oil well of Iran", Sadhana, 39(1), 207-220. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-013-0224-3
- Elyasi, A. and Goshtasbi, K. (2015), "Using different rock failure criteria in wellbore stability analysis", Geomech. Energy Environ., 2, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gete.2015.04.001
Ferguson, R.C., Kuuskraa, V.A., Leeuwen, T.S.V. and Remson, D. (2010), "Storing
$CO_2$with Next-Generation $CO_2$-EOR Technology", SPE 139717, presented at the SPE International Conference on $CO_2$Capture, Storage, and Utilization, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, November.
- Fjaer, E, (1992), Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics, Elsevier Publications.
- Goshtasbi, K., Elyasi, A. and Naeimipour, A. (2014), "Stability assessment of a dual-opposing well junction", Petrol. Sci. Tech., 32(7), 790-796. https://doi.org/10.1080/10916466.2011.604059
Hayek, M., Mouche, E. and Mugler, C. (2009), "Modeling vertical stratification of
$CO_2$injected into a deep layered aquifer", Adv. Water Resour., 32(3), 450-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2008.12.009
Holt, T., Jensen, J.I. and Lindeberg, E. (1995), "Underground storage of
$CO_2$in aquifers and oil reservoirs", Energy Convers. Manage., 36(6-9), 535-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-8904(95)00061-H
Holt, T., Lindeberg, E. and Taber, J, (2000), "Technologies and possibilities for larger-scale
$CO_2$separation and underground storage", SPE 63103, presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, Texas, USA, October.
- Izgec, O., Demiral, B., Bertin, H.J. and Akin, S. (2005), "Experimental and numerical investigation of carbon sequestration in saline aquifers", SPE 94697, presented at the SPE/EPA/DOE Exploration and Production Environmental Conference, Galveston, Texas, USA, March.
- Jahangiri, H.R. and Zhang, D. (2010), "Optimization of carbon dioxide sequestration and enhanced oil recovery in oil reservoir", SPE 133594, presented at the SPE Western Regional Meeting, Anaheim, California, USA, May.
- Kaarstad, E. and Aadnoy, B.S. (2005), "Optimization of borehole stability using 3D stress optimization", SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Texas, Dallas, SPE-97149-MS.
Kumar, A., Noh, M., Pope, G.A., Sepehrnoori, K., Bryant, S. and Lake, L.W. (2004), "Reservoir simulation of
$CO_2$storage in deep saline aquifers", SPE 89343, presented at the SPE/DOE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA, April.
- Lerat, O., Adjemian, F., Auvinet, A., Baroni, A., Bemer, E., Eschard, R., Etienne, G., Renard, G., Servant, G., Michel, L., Rodriguez, S., Aubin, F. and Euzen, T. (2009), "Modelling of 4D Seismic Data for the Monitoring of the Steam Chamber Growth during SAGD Process", Proc., Canadian International Petroleum Conference 2009, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, June.
Liu, X., Gong, B. and Huo, D. (2010), "Numerical Simulation on
$CO_2$Sequestration in Saline Formations With Natural or Hydraulic Fractures Using a Discrete Modeling Approach", SPE 137621, presented at the Canadian Unconventional Resources and International Petroleum Conference, Alberta, Canada, October.
- Martin, D. and Taber, J. (1992), "Carbon dioxide flooding", J. Petrol. Tech., 44(4), 396-400. https://doi.org/10.2118/23564-PA
- Todd, M. and Grand, G. (1993), "Enhanced oil recovery using carbon dioxide", Energy Convers. Manage., 34(9-11), 1157-1164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-8904(93)90065-I
- Metz, B. (2005), IPCC special report on carbon dioxide capture and storage, Cambridge University Press.
Jessen, K., Kovscek, A.R. and Orr, F.M. (2005), "Increasing
$CO_2$storage in oil recovery", Energy Convers. Manage., 46(2), 293-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2004.02.019
Moortgat, J., Firoozabadi, A., Li, Z. and Esposito, R. (2010), "A detailed experimental and numerical study of gravitational effects on
$CO_2$enhanced recovery", SPE 135563, presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Florence, Italy, September.
Nasrabadi, H., Firoozabadi, A. and Ahmed, T. (2009), "Complex flow and composition path in
$CO_2$injection schemes from density effects in 2 and 3D", SPE 124803, presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, October.
Nghiem, L., Shrivastava , V., Kohse, B., Hassam, M. and Yang, C. (2010), "Simulation and optimization of trapping processes for
$CO_2$storage in saline aquifers", J. Can. Petrol. Tech., 49(8), 15-22.
Oldenburg, C., Pruess, K. and Benson, S.M. (2001), "Process modeling of
$CO_2$injection into natural gas reservoirs for carbon sequestration and enhanced gas recovery", Energy Fuel., 15(2), 293-298. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef000247h
Park, Y.C., Huh, D.G. and Park, C.H. (2012), "A pressure-monitoring method to warn
$CO_2$leakage in geological storage sites", Environ. Earth Sci., 67, 425-433. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1667-2
Ravagnani, A.G., Ligero, E. and Suslick, S. (2009), "
$CO_2$sequestration through enhanced oil recovery in a mature oil field", J. Petrol. Sci. Eng., 65(3-4), 129-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2008.12.015
- Rutqvist, J., Wu, Y.S., Tsang, C.F. and Bodvarsson, G. (2002), "A modeling approach for analysis of coupled multiphase fluid flow, heat transfer, and deformation in fractured porous rock", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 39, 429-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00022-9
Sbai, M. and Azaroual, M. (2010), "Numerical modeling of formation damage by two-phase particulate transport processes during
$CO_2$injection in deep heterogeneous porous media", Adv. Water Resour., 34, 62-82.
- Settari, A. and Mourits, F.M. (1998), "A coupled reservoir and geomechanical simulation system", SPE J., 3, 219-226. https://doi.org/10.2118/50939-PA
- Settari, A. and Walters, D. (1999), "Advances in coupled geomechanical and reservoir modeling with applications to reservoir compaction", Proceedings of SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Houston, Texas.
Shi, J.Q. and Durucan, S. (2009), "A coupled reservoir-geomechanical simulation study of
$CO_2$storage in a nearly depleted natural gas reservoir", Energy Procedia, 1, 3039-3046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2009.02.082
Sifuentes, W., Giddins, M. and Blunt, M. (2009), "Modeling
$CO_2$Storage in Aquifers: Assessing the key contributors to uncertainty", SPE 123582, presented at the Offshore Europe, Aberdeen, UK, September.
Sun, S and. Firoozabadi, A. (2009), "Compositional modeling in three-phase flow for
$CO_2$and other fluid injections using higher-order finite element methods", SPE 124907, presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, October.
- Thomas, L.K., Chin, L.Y., Pierson, R.G. and Sylte, J.E. (2003), "Coupled Geomechanics and Reservoir Simulation", SPE J., 8, 350-358. https://doi.org/10.2118/87339-PA
- Thomas, S. and Wheeler, M. (2011), "Multiblock methods for coupled flow-transport and compositional flow through porous media-Applications to the simulation of transport of reactive species and carbon sequestration", SPE 141824, presented at the SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Woodlands, Texas, USA, February.
- Touhidi-Baghini, A. (1998), "Absolute permeability of McMurray formation oil sands at low confining stresses", PhD Dissertation, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alberta, Alberta.
Vidal-Gilbert, S., Nauroy, J.F. and Brosse, E. (2009), "3D geomechanical modelling for
$CO_2$geologic storage in the Dogger carbonates of the Paris Basin", Int. J. Greenhouse Gas Control, 3, 288-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2008.10.004
- Zandi, S., Renard, G., Nauroy, J.F., Guy, N. and Tijani, M. (2010), :Numerical modelling of geomechanical effects during steam injection in SAGD heavy oil recovery", Paper SPE 129250 presented at the EOR Conference at Oil & Gas West Asia, Muscat, Oman, April.
- Zhou, S., Hillis, R. and Sandiford, S. (1996), "On the mechanical stability of inclined wellbore", SPE Dril. Complet., 2, 67-73.
- Zienkiewicz, O.C., Chan, A.H.C., Pastor, M., Schrefler, B.A. and Shiomi, T. (1999), Computational Geomechanics with Special Reference to Earthquake Engineering, John Wiley and Sons.