- Volume 59 Issue 1
Elastic analysis effect of adhesive layer characteristics in steel beam strengthened with a fiber-reinforced polymer plates
DOI QR Code
Daouadji, Tahar Hassaine;Hadji, Lazreg;Meziane, Mohamed Ait Amar;Bekki, Hadj
- 투고 : 2015.10.16
- 심사 : 2016.03.15
- 발행 : 2016.07.10
In this paper, the problem of interfacial stresses in steel beams strengthened with a fiber reinforced polymer plates is analyzed using linear elastic theory. The analysis is based on the deformation compatibility approach developed by Tounsi (2006) where both the shear and normal stresses are assumed to be invariant across the adhesive layer thickness. The analysis provides efficient calculations for both shear and normal interfacial stresses in steel beams strengthened with composite plates, and accounts for various effects of Poisson's ratio and Young's modulus of adhesive. Such interfacial stresses play a fundamental role in the mechanics of plated beams, because they can produce a sudden and premature failure. The analysis is based on equilibrium and deformations compatibility approach developed by Tounsi (2006). In the present theoretical analysis, the adherend shear deformations are taken into account by assuming a parabolic shear stress through the thickness of both the steel beam and bonded plate. The paper is concluded with a summary and recommendations for the design of the strengthened beam.
composites plates;interlaminar stresses;steel beam;strengthening;adherend shear deformations;adhesive
- Ait Amar Meziane, M., Tounsi, A. and Abdelaziz, H. (2014), "An efficient and simple refined theory for buckling and free vibration of exponentially graded sandwich plates under various boundary conditions", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 16(3), 293-318. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636214526852
- Ait Yahia, S., Ait Atmane, H., Houari, M.S.A. and Tounsi, A. (2015), "Wave propagation in functionally graded plates with porosities using various higher-order shear deformation plate theories", Struct. Eng. Mech., 53(6), 1143-1165. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.6.1143
- Belabed, Z., Houari, M.S.A., Tounsi, A., Mahmoud, S.R. and Anwar Beg, O. (2014), "An efficient and simple higher order shear and normal deformation theory for functionally graded material (FGM) plates", Compos. Part B, 60, 274-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.12.057
- Bennoun, M., Houari, M.S.A. and Tounsi, A. (2016), "A novel five variable refined plate theory for vibration analysis of functionally graded sandwich plates", Mech. Adv. Mater. Struct., 23(4), 423-431. https://doi.org/10.1080/15376494.2014.984088
- Benyoucef S., A.Tounsi, R.Yeghnem, B. Bouiadjra, and E.A.Adda Bedia (2014), "An analysis of interfacial stresses in steel beams bonded with a thin composite plate under thermomechanical loading", Mech. Compos. Mater., 49, 959-972.
- Bouakaz K., Hassaine Daouadji, T., Meftah, S.A., Ameur, M., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2014), "A Numerical analysis of steel beams strengthened with composite materials", Mech. Compos. Mater., 50(4), 685-696.
- Bouderba, B., Houari, M.S.A. and Tounsi, A. (2013), "Thermomechanical bending response of FGM thick plates resting on Winkler-Pasternak elastic foundations", Steel Compos. Struct., 14(1), 85-104. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.1.085
- Bourada, M., Kaci, A., Houari, M.S.A. and Tounsi, A. (2015), "A new simple shear and normal deformations theory for functionally graded beams", Steel Compos. Struct., 18(2), 409-423. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.2.409
- Bousahla, A.A., Houari, M.S.A., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A., (2014), "A novel higher order shear and normal deformation theory based on neutral surface position for bending analysis of advanced composite plates", Int. J. Comput. Meth., 11(6), 1350082. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219876213500825
- El Mahi, Benrahou, K.H., Belakhdar, Kh., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, El A. (2014), "Effect of the tapered of the end of a FRP plate on the interfacial stresses in a strengthened beam used in civil engineering applications", Mech. Compos. Mater., 50(4), 465-474.
- Guenaneche, B., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2014), "Effect of shear deformation on interfacial stress analysis in plated beams under arbitrary loading", Adhes. Adhes., 48, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2013.09.016
- Hassaine Daouadji, T. (2013), "Analytical analysis of the interfacial stress in damaged reinforced concrete beams strengthened by bonded composite plates", Streng. Mater., 45(5), 587-597. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-013-9496-4
- Hebali, H., Tounsi, A., Houari, M.S.A., Bessaim, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2014), "A new quasi-3D hyperbolic shear deformation theory for the static and free vibration analysis of functionally graded plates", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 140, 374-383. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000665
- Herakovich, C.T. (1998), Mechanics of fibrous composites, John Wiley & Sonc, Inc., USA.
- Jones, R., Swamy, R.N. and Charif, A. (1988), "Plate separation and anchorage of reinforced concrete beams strengthened by epoxy-bonded steel plates", Struct. Eng., 66(5), 85-94.
- Krour, B., Bernard, F. and Tounsi, A. (2013), "Fibers orientation optimization for concrete beam strengthened with a CFRP bonded plate: A coupled analytical-numerical investigation", Eng. Struct., 9, 218-227.
- Oller, E., Marí, A., Bairán, J. and Cladera, A. (2015), "Shear design of reinforced concrete beams with FRP longitudinal and transverse reinforcement", Compos. Part B: Eng., 74, 104-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.12.031
- Smith, S.T. and Teng, J.G. (2001), "Interfacial stresses in plated beams", Eng. Struct., 23(7), 857-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00090-0
- Touati, M., Tounsi, A. and Benguediab, M. (2015), "Effect of shear deformation on adhesive stresses in plated concrete beams: Analytical solutions", Comput. Concrete, 15(3), 141-166 https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.2.141
- Tounsi, A. (2006), "Improved theoretical solution for interfacial stresses in concrete beams strengthened with FRP plate", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 43(14-15), 54-74.
- Tounsi, A., Benyoucef, S. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2009), "Interfacial stresses in FRP-plated RC beams:Effect of adherend shear deformations", Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., 29, 343-351 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2008.06.008
- Tounsi, A., Houari, M.S.A., Benyoucef, S. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2013), "A refined trigonometric shear deformation theory for thermoelastic bending of functionally graded sandwich plates", Aerosp. Sci. Tech., 24, 209-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2011.11.009
- Tsai, M.Y., Oplinger, D.W. and Morton, J. (1998), "Improved theoretical solutions for adhesive lap joints", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 35(12), 1163-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(97)00097-8
- Yang, J. and Wu, Y.F. (2007), "Interfacial stresses of FRP strengthened concrete beams: effect of shear deformation", Compos. Struct., 80, 343-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.05.016
- Zidani, M.B., Belakhdar, K., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2015), "Finite element analysis of initially damaged beams repaired with FRP plates", Compos. Struct., 134, 429-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.07.124
- Zidi, M., Tounsi, A., Houari, M.S.A., Adda Bedia, E.A. and Anwar Beg, O. (2014), "Bending analysis of FGM plates under hygro-thermo-mechanical loading using a four variable refined plate theory", Aerosp. Sci. Tech., 34, 24-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2014.02.001
- 1. Interfacial stresses in RC beam bonded with a functionally graded material plate vol.60, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.12989/sem.2016.59.1.083