- Volume 17 Issue 5
The objective of this study is to determine the physical characteristics of the gel mass of vegetable soft capsules and to maintain their rheological stability for improving manufacturability. The effect of each capsule shell component on the viscosity of the gel mass was studied for 6 hours, and the effects of adding an alkalizer or electrolytes to neutralize the sulfate groups on the carrageenan molecule were also investigated. Carrageenan was identified as a major component that affects the viscosity of the gel mass, and it showed unstable properties with age. The viscosity and stability of the gel mass were remarkably improved when an alkalizer or electrolytes were added at 3.0% relative to the carrageenan. 3.6 M KCl showed the highest effect on increasing the viscosity. A stable gel mass composition for vegetable soft capsules was successfully developed, which can be considered to increase the application of the capsules in the pharmaceutical and food industries.
Carrageenan;Electrolyte;Gel mass;Stability;Vegetable soft capsule
- J. B. Park, "Development of Gastric Retentive Bi-layered Tablet using Floating Drug Delivery System", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7549-7554, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7549 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7549
- Dong-Wook Kim, "Evaluation of Sustained-release Dosage Form with Novel Metformin Salts", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7838-7843, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7838 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7838
- R. Pissinati and W. P. Oliveira, "Enteric coating of soft gelatin capsules by spouted bed: effect of operating conditions on coating efficiency and on product quality," European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 313-321, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0939-6411(03)00002-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0939-6411(03)00002-X
- S. U. Choi and S. W. Cho, "Formulation of Liquid Choline Alphoscerate as a Solid Dosage Form", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 12 pp. 6324-6329, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.12.6324 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.12.6324
- G. A. Digenis, T. B. Gold and V. P. Shah, "Crosslinking of gelatin capsules and its relevance to their in vitro-in vivo performance," Journal of pharmaceutical sciences, Vol. 83, No. 7, pp. 915-921, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600830702 https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600830702
- J. Tulliani, C. Bartuli, E. Bemporad, V. Naglieri and M. Sebastiani, "Preparation and mechanical characterization of dense and porous zirconia produced by gel casting with gelatin as a gelling agent," Ceramics International, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 2481-2491, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2009.02.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2009.02.017
- S. H. Lee and K. Y. Lee, " A Study on the Volatile Change of Essential Oils Addition on to the Vegetable Fatty Acid Hard Soap", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 5 pp. 3304-3311, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.3304 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.3304
- M. M. Al-Tabakha, "HPMC capsules: current status and future prospects," Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 428-442, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18433/J3K881 https://doi.org/10.18433/J3K881
- E. T. Cole, D. Cade and H. Benameur, "Challenges and opportunities in the encapsulation of liquid and semi-solid formulations into capsules for oral administration," Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 747-756, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2007.09.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2007.09.009
- S. J. Kim, G.S. Lee, S. H. Moh, J. B. Park, C. K. Auh, Y. J. Chung, T. K. Ryu and T. K. Lee, "Phenolic Contents and Antioxidant Activities of Six Edible Seaweeds", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6 pp. 3081-3088, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.3081 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.3081
- N. Mobarak, F. Jumaah, M. Ghani, M. P. Abdullah and A. Ahmad, "Carboxymethyl carrageenan based biopolymer electrolytes," Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 175, pp. 224-231, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.02.200 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.02.200
- Tischer, Paula Cristina Sousa F, M. D. Noseda, R. A. de Freitas, M. R. Sierakowski and M. E. R. Duarte, "Effects of iota-carrageenan on the rheological properties of starches," Carbohydrate Polymers, Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 49-57, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2005.12.027 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2005.12.027
- C. Viebke, J. Borgstrom and L. Piculell, "Characterisation of kappa-and iota-carrageenan coils and helices by MALLS/GPC," Carbohydrate Polymers, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 145-154, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(95)00017-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(95)00017-2
- T. Karbowiak, H. Hervet, L. Leger, D. Champion, F. Debeaufort and A. Voilley, "Effect of plasticizers (water and glycerol) on the diffusion of a small molecule in iota-carrageenan biopolymer films for edible coating application," Biomacromolecules, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 2011-2019, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/bm060179r https://doi.org/10.1021/bm060179r
- K. E. Tanner, P. R. Draper, J. J. Getz, S. W. Burnett and E. Youngblood, "Film forming compositions comprising modified starches and iota-carrageenan and methods for manufacturing soft capsules using same", U.S. Patent No. 6340473 B1, 2002, http://www.google.com/patents/US6340473, cited 2016 march 06.
- T. Woggum, P. Sirivongpaisal and T. Wittaya, "Characteristics and properties of hydroxypropylated rice starch based biodegradable films," Food Hydrocolloids, Vol. 50, pp. 54-64, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2015.04.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2015.04.010
- F. Onofre and Y. Wang, "Hydroxypropylated starches of varying amylose contents as sustained release matrices in tablets," International journal of pharmaceutics, Vol. 385, No. 1, pp. 104-112, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2009.10.038 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2009.10.038
- A. C. Kshirsagar and R. S. Singhal, "Preparation of hydroxypropyl corn and amaranth starch hydrolyzate and its evaluation as wall material in microencapsulation," Food Chemistry, Vol. 108, No. 3, pp. 958-964, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.074 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.074
- G. Azevedo, L. Hilliou, G. Bernardo, I. Sousa-Pinto, R. W. Adams, M. Nilsson and R. D. Villanueva, "Tailoring kappa/iota-hybrid carrageenan from Mastocarpus stellatus with desired gel quality through pre-extraction alkali treatment," Food Hydrocolloids, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 94-102, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2012.10.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2012.10.010
- G. Azevedo, G. Bernardo and L. Hilliou, "NaCl and KCl phase diagrams of kappa/iota-hybrid carrageenans extracted from Mastocarpus stellatus," Food Hydrocolloids, Vol. 37, pp. 116-123, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2013.10.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2013.10.029
- I. T. Norton, D. M. Goodall, E. R. Morris and D. A. Rees, "Role of cations in the conformation of iota and kappa carrageenan," Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions 1: Physical Chemistry in Condensed Phases, Vol. 79, No. 10, pp. 2475-2488, 1983.