- Volume 21 Issue 3
Recently, the interest in DC systems to achieve more efficient connection with renewable energy sources, energy storage systems, and DC loads has been growing extensively. DC systems are more advantageous than AC systems because of their low conversion losses. However, the DC-link voltage is variable during operation because of different random effects. This study focuses on DC voltage stabilization applied in stand-alone DC microgrids by means of voltage ranges, power management, and coordination scheme. The quality and stability of the entire system are improved by keeping the voltage within acceptable limits. In terms of optimized control, the maximum power should be tracked from renewable resources during different operating modes of the system. The ESS and VSDG cover the power shortage after all available renewable energy is consumed. Keeping the state of charge of the ESS within the allowed bands is the key role of the control system. Load shedding or power generation curtailment should automatically occur if the maximum tolerable voltage variation is exceeded. PSIM-based simulation results are presented to evaluate the performance of the proposed control measures.
DC microgrid;State of charge;DC voltage regulation;Variable speed diesel generator;Voltage variation
- H. Zeng, H. Zhao, and Q. Yang, "Coordinated energy management in autonomous hybrid AC/DC microgrids," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE POWERCON'2014, no. CP1915, pp. 3186-3193, 2014.
- D. Chen, L. Xu, and L. Yao, "DC voltage variation based autonomous control of DC microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 637-648, 2013.
- R. S. Balog, W. W. Weaver, and P. T. Krein, "The load as an energy asset in a distributed DC smartgrid architecture," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 253-260, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2167722
- Y. Wang, K. T. Tan, and P. L. So, "Coordinated control of battery energy storage system in microgrid," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE APEEC'2013, pp. 1-6, 2013.
- P. C. Loh, D. Li, Y. K. Chai, and F. Blaabjerg, "Autonomous operation of hybrid microgrid with AC and DC subgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2214-2223, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2214792
- D. Chen and L. Xu, "Autonomous DC voltage control of a DC microgrid with multiple slack terminals," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1897-1905, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2189441
- T. Theubou, R. Wamkeue, and I. Kamwa, "Dynamic model of DG set for hybrid wind-diesel small grids applications," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE CCECE'2012, pp. 1-4, 2012.
- P. Y. Lim, and C. V. Nayar, "Photovoltaic-variable speed diesel generator hubrid energy system for remote area application," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE AUPEC'2010, pp. 1-5, 2010.
- A. Bracle, P. Caramia, G. Carpinelli, E. Mancini, and F. Mottala, "Optimal control strategy of DC microgrid," Int. J. of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 67, pp. 25-38, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.11.003
- W. W. Weaver, R. D. Robinett III, G. G. Parker, and D. G. Wilson, "Energy storage requirements of DC microgrids with high penetration renewable under droop control," Int. J. of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 68, pp. 203-209, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.12.070
- H. J. Kim, Y. S. Lee, J. H. Kim, and B. M. Han, "Coordinated droop control for stand-alone DC Micro-grid," J. Electr. Eng. Technol. Vol. 9, No. 3 pp. 1072-1079, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.1072
- F. Cingoz, A. Elrayyah, and Y. Sozer, "Optimized droop control parameters for effective load sharing and voltage regulation in DC microgrids," Int. J. of Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 43, No. 8-10, pp. 879-889, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2015.1021220
- M. Sechilariu, B. C. Wang, and F. Locment, "Supervision control for optimal energy cost management in DC microgrid: Desing and simualtion," Int. J. of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 58, pp. 140-149, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.01.018
- H. Kakigano, Y. Miura, and T. Ise, "Distribution voltage control for DC microgrids using fuzzy control and gain-scheduling technique," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2246-2258, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2217353
- S. K. Kallimalla, M. K. Mishra, and N. L. Narasamma, "Design and analysis of novel control strategy for battery and supercapacitor storage system," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1137-1144, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2014.2336896
- R. Sathishkumar, S. K. Kollimalla, and M. K. Mishra, "Dynamic energy managements of microgrids using battery supercapacitor combined storage," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE INDICON'2012, pp. 1078-1083, 2012.
- G. Ding, F. Gao, S. Zhang, P. C. Loh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Control of hybrid AC/DC microgrid under islanding operational conditions," J. of Modern Power Syst. Clean Energy, Vol. 2. No. 3, pp. 223-232, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40565-014-0065-z
- R. B. U. S. B. K. Ram, and M. V. G. Rao, "Performance of a hybrid AC/DC microgrid using RES and supercapacitor in gridconnected and islanded mode," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE ISEG'2014, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- J. J. Justo, F. Mwasilu, J. Lee, and J. W. Jung, "AC-microgrids versus DC-microgrids with distrubuted energy resources: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 24, pp. 387-405, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.067
- M. A. Abdullah, A. H. M. Yatim, C. W. Tam, and A. S. Samosir, "Control of a bidirection converter to interface ultracapacitor with renewable energy sources," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE ICIT'2013, pp. 673-678, 2013.
- K. Lee, B. An, M. W. Hadi, J. Choi, and Y. Song, "Optimized control strategy for hybrid energy system," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE ICPE'2015-ECCE Asia, pp. 2495-2500, 2015.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER)