- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Temperature and Pressure on Pressure Retarded Osmosis Performance
온도와 압력 변화가 압력지연삼투 공정 성능에 미치는 영향
Sim, Jin-woo;Nam, Sook-Hyun;Koo, Jae-Wuk;Kim, Eun-Ju;Yoon, Young Han;Hwang, Tae-Mun
- Received : 2016.04.20
- Accepted : 2016.06.03
- Published : 2016.06.01
The Pressure Retarded Osmosis (PRO) is the next generation desalination technique and is considered as a eco-friendly energy. This was conducted to evaluate the effect of the temperature and pressure on the PRO performance. The flux of the permeation was measured under different operating conditions and estimated the power density. An improvement of PRO performance is depend on increasing solution temperature and optimum pressure. The effect of increasing feed solution temperature has stronger impact on the PRO performance comparing to the draw solution temperature. The reason of the results was due to the change of osmotic power, viscosity, water permeability and structure parameter(s).
Desalination;Optimization;PRO performance;Pressure retarded osmosis
- Achilli, A., Childress, A.E. (2010) Pressure retarded osmosis: from the vision of Sidney Loeb to the first prototype installation-review, Desalination, 261(3), pp. 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.06.017
- Logan, B. E., Elimelech, M. (2012) Membrane-based processes for sustainable power generation using water and wastewater, Nature, 488, pp. 313-319. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11477
- Chung, T.S., Li, X., Ong, R.C., Ge, Q.C., Wang, H. L., Han, G. (2012) Emerging forward osmosis(FO) technologies and challenges ahead for clean water and clean energy applications, Curr. Opin. Chem. Eng. 1, pp. 246-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coche.2012.07.004
- Post, J.W., Veerman, J., Hamelers, H.-V.M., Euverink, G.-J.W., Metzb, S.J., Nymeijerc, K., Buisman, J.N.C. (2007) Salinity-gradient power: evaluation of pressure-retarded osmosis and reverse electrodialysis, J. Membr. Sci. 288, pp. 218-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2006.11.018
- Spiegler, K.S., El-Sayed, Y.M. (2001) The energetics of desalination processes, Desalination, 134, 109-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00121-7
- Elimelech, M., Phillip, W.A. (2011) The future of seawater desalination: energy, technology, and the environment, Science, 333, pp. 712-717. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1200488
- Fitzsimons, L., Corcoran, B., Young, P., Foley, G. (2015) Energy analysis of water purification and desalination: a study of energy model approaches, Desalination, 359, pp. 212-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2014.12.033
- Danoun, R. (2007) Desalination plants: potential impacts of brine discharge on marine life, Technical Report, The University of Sidney.
- Herron, J. (2012) Two-layer membrane. U.S. patent, 12 July.
- Touati, K., Hanel, C., Tadeo, F., Schiestel, T. (2015) Effect of the feed ans draw solution temperatures on PRO performance: Theoretical and experimental study, Desalination, 365, pp. 182-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2015.02.016
- Touati, K. Calle, A. D., Tadeo, F., Roca, L., Schiestel, T., Alarcon-Padilla, D. C. (2014) Energy recovery using salinity differences in a multi-effect distillation system, Desalin. Water Treat. pp. 1-8.
Supported by : 국토교통부