- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study of MF membrane as pretreatment option using various backwash process from wastewater reuse pilot plant
전처리 MF의 다양한 역세 공정을 적용한 하수재이용 파일럿 플랜트 연구
Park, Kwang-Duck;Park, Chansoo;Lee, Chang-Kyu;Kim, Jong-Oh;Choi, June-Seok
- Received : 2016.04.21
- Accepted : 2016.06.07
- Published : 2016.06.01
Various studies have forwarded an outstanding wastewater effluent treatment systems toward securing sustainable supply of water sources. In this paper, a broad overview of the performance of MF membrane as pretreatment option for wastewater reuse will be presented based on the literature survey and experiments conducted over the wastewater reuse pilot plant. The pilot plant was operated with a continuous data acquisition for about 300days under various chemical enhanced backwash (CEB) system with subsequent treated water quality analysis. Accordingly, assessment of the effluent revealed that the pretreated water is suitable enough to be used as an input for Reverse Osmosis (RO) unit and significant effect of CEB and concentration of NaOCl is also conceived from the analysis. Moreover, it's also observed that the application of various CEB condition over long operational hours induced a constant declination of overall performance of MF membrane.
Chemical enhanced backwash;Membrane filtration;Pressured membrane;Reclaimed wastewater;Treated wastewater
Ahn, K. H., An, S., Maeng, S. K., Kim, K. P., Hong, J. S., Jung, M. W., Kweon, J. H., and Ahmed, Z. (2003). Assessment of advanced oxidation processes using low and medium-pressure lamps with
$H_2O_2$for reclamation of biologically treated wastewater effluents, KSWW, 17, 542-549.
- Ahn, K. H., Song, K. G., (1999). "Treatment of domestic wastewater using microfiltration for reuse of wastewater", Desalination, 126, 7-14 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(99)00150-2
- Ang, W. S., Yip, N. Y., Tiraferri, A., Elimelech, M., (2011). "Chemical cleaning of RO membranes fouled by wastewater effluent: Achieving higher efficiency with dual-step cleaning", Journal of Membrane Science, 382, 100-106 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2011.07.047
- Asano, T. (1998). Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse, CRC press, USA, Technomic publishing company.
- Beyer, M., Lohrengel, B., Nghiem, L. D., (2010). "Membrane fouling and chemical cleaning in water recycling applications", Desalination, 250, 977-981 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2009.09.085
Chu, C. P., Jiao, S. R., Hung, J. M., Lu, C. J. and Chung, Y. J. (2009). Reclamation of the wastewater from an industrial park using hollow-fibre and spiral-wound membranes: 50
$m^3$d -1 pilot testing and cost evaluation, Environmental Technology, 30, 871-877. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330802343033
- EPA. (2012). Manual-guideline for water reuse, EPA/600/R-12/618, U.S environmental protection agency, Washington DC.
- Fane, A. G. (1996). "Membranes for water production and wastewater reuse", Desalination, 106, 1-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(96)00085-9
- GWI. Global water market 2015. Global Water Intelligence.
- Juang, L. C., Tseng, D. H., Lin, H. Y., (2007). "Membrane processes for water reuse from the effluent of industrial park wastewater treatment plant: a study on flux and fouling of membrane", Desalination, 202, 302-309 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.12.068
- K-water. (2013). International year of water cooperation, MLIT & K-water.
- Lee, N., Amy, G., Croue, J. P., Buisson, H., (2004). "Identification and understanding of fouling in low-pressure membrane (MF/UF) filtration by natural organic matter (NOM)", Water research, 38, 4511-4523 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2004.08.013
- Lee, S., Ang, W. S., Elimelech, M., (2006). "Fouling of reverse osmosis membranes by hydrophilic organic matter: implications for water reuse", Desalination, 187, 313-321 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.04.090
- Lee, Y. D., Kim, C. Y., and Park, H. G. (2007). "A study on the application of fiber filter (PCF) / RO for reuse of effluence from sewage plant (1)", Fall Joint Conference of KSWW & KSWE, 21-22 November, 2007, KSWW, Goyang, Korea.
- Park, K. Y., Maeng, S. K., Kim, K. P., Lee, S. H., Kweon, J. H., Ahn, K. H. (2005). Effect of Hydrogen Peroxide on UV Treatment of Color in Secondary Effluent for Reclamation, KSWW, 18, 377-384.
- Pearce, G.K., (2008). "UF/MF pre-treatment to RO in seawater and wastewater reuse applications: a comparison of energy costs", Desalination, 222, 66-73 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.05.029
- Raffin, M., Germain, E., and Judd, S. J. (2012). Influence of backwashing, flux and temperature on microfiltration for wastewater reuse. Separation and purification technology, 96, 147-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2012.05.030
- Sadr Ghayeni, S. B., Madaeni, S. S., Fane, A. G., Schneider, R. P., (1996). "Aspects of microfiltration and reverse osmosis in municipal wastewater reuse", Desalination, 106, 25-29 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(96)00088-4
- Wintgens, T., Melin, T., Schafer, A., Khan, S., Muston, M., Bixio, D., Thoeye, C., (2005). "The role of membrane processes in municipal wastewater reclamation and reuse", Desalination, 178, 1-11 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2004.12.014
- Hyun, S., Kim, E. D., Hong, S., Ahn, W., Yim, S., and Kim, G. (2005). Treatment of secondary municipal wastewater by submerged hollow fiber MF membranes for water reuse, KSWW, 19, 47-52.