- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Representativeness in News Recommendation Mechanisms on Audience Reactions in Online News Portals
대표성 기반 뉴스 추천 메커니즘이 온라인 뉴스 포탈의 독자 반응에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.02.11
- Accepted : 2016.05.19
- Published : 2016.05.31
News contents has been collected, selected, edited and sometimes distorted by the news recommendation mechanisms of online portals in nowadays. Prior studies had not confirmed the consensus of newsworthiness, and they had not tried to empirically validate the impacts of newsworthiness on audience reactions. This study challenged to summarize the concepts of newsworthiness and validate the impact of representativeness of both editor's and audience's perspective on audience reactions as perceived news quality, trust on news portal, perceived usefulness, service satisfaction, loyalty, continuous usage intention, and word-of-mouth intention by adopting the representativeness heuristics method and information adoption model. 357 valid data had been collected using a scenario survey method. Subjects in each groups are exposed by 3 news recommendation mechanisms: 1) the time-priority news exposure mechanism (control group), 2) the reference-score-based news recommendation mechanism (a single treatment group), and 3) the major-news-priority exposure mechanism sorting by the reference scores made by peer audiences (the mixed treatment group). Data had been analyzed by the MANOVA and PLS method. MANOVA results indicate that only mixed method of both editor and audience recommendation mechanisms impacts on perceived news quality and trust. PLS results indicate that perceived news quality and trust could significantly affect on the perceived usefulness, service satisfaction, loyalty, continuance usage, and word-of-mouth intention. This study would contributions to empathize the role of information technology in media industry, to conceptualize the news value in the balanced views of both editors and audiences, and to empirically validate the benefits of news recommendation mechanisms in academy. For practice, the results of this study suggest that online news portals would be better to make mixed news recommendation mechanisms to attract audiences.
Newsworthiness;News Recommendation Mechanisms;Representativeness Heuristics
- Bhattacherjee, A., "Understanding Information Systems Continuance: an Expectation-Confirmation Model," MIS quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 351-370, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250921
- Boyd, A., "Broadcast Journalism, Techniques of Radio and TV News," Oxford: Focal, 1994.
- Brighton, P. and Foy, D., "News Values," Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 2007.
- Ceylan et al., "Linking Newsworthy Events to Published Content," US patent 2013/0158981 A1, 2013.
- Chin, W. W., "The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling. In Marcoulides, G. A.(ed.)," Modern methods for Business Research, pp. 295-336, 1998.
- Chin, W. W. and Dibbern, J., "Permutation Based Procedure for Multi-Group PLS Analysis: Results of Tests of Differences on Simulated Data and a Cross of Information System Services between Germany and the USA," in Handbook of Partial Least Squares: Concepts, Methods and Applications 'in Marketing and Related Fields, V. E. Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler, and H. Wang (eds), pp. 171-193, 2010.
- Churchill, G. A. Jr., "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 64-73, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150876
- Curtiss et al., "Systems and Methods for Improving the Ranking of News Articles," US patent 2012/0158711 A1, 2012.
- DeLone, W. H. and McLean, E. R., "The DeLone and McLean Model of Information Systems Success: A 10-year Update," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 9-30, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045748
- Dooley, D., "Social Research Methods," Upper Saddle River, NJ, Prentice Hall., 2001.
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D. F., "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Fowler, R., "Language in the News: Discourse and Ideology in the Press," London: Routledge, 1991.
- Galtung, J. and Ruge, M. H., "The Structure of Foreign News," Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 64-91, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1177/002234336500200104
- Hall, S., "The Determinations of News Photographs. In S. Cohen and J. Young (Eds.), The Manufacture of News: Social Problems, Deviance and the Mass Media," Communication and Society(pp. 176-190). Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 1973.
- Hardcup, T. and O'Neill, D., "What is News? Galtung and Ruge revisited," Journalism Studies, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 261- 280, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616700118449
- Jones, Q., Ravid, G., and Rafaeli, S., "Information Overload and the Message Dynamics of Online Interaction Spaces: A Theoretical Model and Empirical Exploration," Information Systems Research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 194-210, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1040.0023
- Kim, S. S. and Son, J. Y., "Out of Dedication or Constraint? A Dual Model of Post-Adoption Phenomena and Its Empirical Test in the Context of Online Services," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 49-70, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650278
- Kim, K. J., "Current status and futures of portal news service," Voice of Korea Advertiser, Vol. 5, pp. 22-26, 2013.
- Lee, A. M. and Chyi, H. I., "When Newsworthy is Not Noteworthy: Examining the value of news from the audience's perspective," Journalism Studies, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- Lee, S. J. and Kim, H. J., "Keyword Extraction from News Corpus using Modified TF-IDF," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 59-73, 2009.
- Lee, J. K. and Han, M. A., "The Impact of Individuals' Political Tendency on the Perception of Reliability and Social Impact of Online Newspaper Comments," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 173-187, 2012.
- MacShane, D., "Using the Media: How to Deal with the Press, Television and Radio, Pluto press, London, pp. 1-218, 1979.
- Mark, D., "The web and its Journalisms: Considering the Consequences of Different Types of Newsmedia Online," New media and Society, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 203-230, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444803005002004
- Neilson Korea Click, "Transformation of News Stand and Changes of News Media Market Environment, 2013. 4. 26. http://www.koreanclick.com/information/info_data_view.php?m=topic&sub_mode=topic&id=324.
- Nicolaou, A. I. and McKnight, D. H., "Percieved Information Quality in Data Exchanges: Effect on Risk, Trust, and Intention to Use," Information Systems Research, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 332-351, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0103
- Ohmynews, "After News Stand has been introduced…Keyword Trading Increase, but News Consumers Feel Inconvenient," 2013.
- Park, K. S., "The Effect of Editorial Elements in Portal News Section on News Selelction of News Consumer," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 2087-2095, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2087
- Pavlou, P. A. and Gefen, D., "Building Effective Online Marketplaces with Institution- Based Trust," Information Systems Research, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 37-59, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1040.0015
- Ryan, C., "Prime Time Activism: Media Strategies for Grassroots Organizing," Boston: South End Press. p. 31, 1991.
- Son, J. Y. and Kim, S. S., "Internet Users' Information Privacy-Protective Responses: A Taxonomy and a Nomological Model," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 503-529, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148854
- Suh, "Fairness of news recommendation mechanisms of Facebook is issued…Could conservative opinions have been removed?," Money Today, 2016.
- Sundar, S. S. and Nass, C., "Conceptualizating Sources in Online News," Journal of Communication, pp. 52-72, 2001.
- Sundar, S. S., "Exploring Receiver's Criteria for Perception of Print and Online News," Journal of Mass Communication Quarterly, Vol. 76, No. 373, pp. 373-386, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769909907600213
- Sussman, S. W. and Siegal, W. S., "Informational Influence in Organizations: An Integrated Approach to Knowledge Adoption," Information Systems Research, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 47-65, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.184.108.40.20667
- Tversky, A. and Kahneman, D., "Judgement Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases," Science 185(27 September 1974), pp. 1124-1131, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.185.4157.1124
- Tversky, A., "Features of Similarity," Psychological Review 84 (July 1977), pp. 327-52. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.4.327
- Werts, C. E., Linn, R. L., and Joreskog, K. G., "Intraclass Reliability Estimates: Testing Structural Assumptions," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol. 34, pp. 25-33, 1973.
- Whang, Y. S., "Status and Issues about Self-Regulation of Potals: the Self-Regulation Perspective and Korean Internet Self-Regulation Institutes," Intermediation of Press, pp. 53-70, 2009.
- Wikipedia, "Newsworthiness," 2015.
- Wold, H., "Systems Under Indirect Observation Using PLS, in A Second Generation of Multivariate Analysis," C. Fornell (Ed.), Praeger, New York, pp. 325-347, 1982.
- Won, M. K., Lee, S. J., and Park, J. H., "Pattern Analysis of News Lifecycle in a Social News Aggregation Service," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 41-56, 2009.
- Eleanor Rosch," Cognitive Reference Points," Cognitive Psychology 7 (October 1975): 532-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0285(75)90021-3
- Eleanor Rosch, "Principles of Categorization," in Cognition and Categorization, ed. Eleanor Rosch and Barbara B. Lloyd (Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1978), 1978.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea