- Volume 16 Issue 3
Fault detection and isolation are related to system monitoring, identifying when a fault has occurred, and determining the type of fault and its location. Fault detection is utilized to determine whether a problem has occurred within a certain channel or area of operation. Fault detection and diagnosis have become increasingly important for many technical processes in the development of safe and efficient advanced systems for supervision. This paper presents an integrated technique for fault diagnosis and classification for open- and short-circuit faults in three-phase inverter circuits. Discrete wavelet transform and principal component analysis are utilized to detect the discontinuity in currents caused by a fault. The features of fault diagnosis are then extracted. A fault dictionary is used to acquire details about transistor faults and the corresponding fault identification. Fault classification is performed with a fuzzy logic system and relevance vector machine (RVM). The proposed model is incorporated with a set of optimization techniques, namely, evolutionary particle swarm optimization (EPSO) and cuckoo search optimization (CSO), to improve fault detection. The combination of optimization techniques with classification techniques is analyzed. Experimental results confirm that the combination of CSO with RVM yields better results than the combinations of CSO with fuzzy logic system, EPSO with RVM, and EPSO with fuzzy logic system.
Cuckoo search optimization (CSO);Discrete wavelet transform (DWT);Evolutionary particle swarm optimization (EPSO);Fault detection;Fuzzy logic system;Optimization techniques;Principal component analysis (PCA);Relevance vector machine (RVM)
- A. Dong, L. Li, L. Huo, and Q. Wang, "Research on the practical detection for a power cable fault point," in International Conference on Computer and Communication Technologies in Agriculture Engineering(CCTAE), Vol. 2, pp. 80-84. Jun. 2010.
- M. N. Alam, R. H. Bhuiyan, R. Dougal, and M. Ali, "Novel surface wave exciters for power line fault detection and communications," in IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation(APSURSI), pp. 1139-1142, Jul. 2011.
- M. N. Alam, R. H. Bhuiyan, R. A. Dougal, and M. Ali, “Design and application of surface wave sensors for nonintrusive power line fault detection,” IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 339-347, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2012.2217317
- A. Ashouri, A. Jalilvand, R. Noroozian, and A. Bagheri, "A new approach for fault detection in digital relays-based power system using Petri nets," in 2010 Joint International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES) & 2010 Power India, pp. 1-8. Dec. 2010.
- R. Dubey, S. R. Samantaray, A. Tripathy, B. C. Babu, and M. Ehtesham, "Wavelet based energy function for symmetrical fault detection during power swing," in 2012 Students Conference on Engineering and Systems (SCES), pp. 1-6, Mar. 2012.
- H. Shu, X. Wang, X. Tian, Q. Wu, and P. Shixin, "On the use of s-transform for fault feeder detection based on two phase currents in distribution power systems," in 2nd International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (IIS), Vol. 2, pp. 282-287, Jul. 2010.
- Z. Long, N. H. Younan, and T. O. Bialek, "Underground power cable fault detection using complex wavelet analysis," in International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application(ICHVE), pp. 59-62, Sep. 2012.
- I.-D. Nicolae, P.-M. Nicolae, and L.-D. Popa, "Abilities of a class of wavelet hybrid algorithms related to fault detection in power systems," in International Conference on Applied and Theoretical Electricity (ICATE), pp. 1-6, Oct. 2012.
- S. R. Samantaray, B. K. Panigrahi, and P. K. Dash, “High impedance fault detection in power distribution networks using time–frequency transform and probabilistic neural network,” IET generation, transmission & Distribution, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 261-270, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20070319
- Y. Xiaohua, Z. Yadong, C. Z. Faqi, and X. Zhongmei, "Wavelet neural network based fault detection method in power system," in Second International Conference on Mechanic Automation and Control Engineering(MACE), pp. 1864-1867, Jul. 2011.
- K. L. V. Iyer, X. Lu, K. Mukherjee, and N. C. Kar, "Fault detection in copper-rotor SEIG system using artificial neural network for distributed wind power generation," in XXth International Conference on Electrical Machines(ICEM), pp. 1700-1705, Sep. 2012.
- G. Rigatos, P. Siano, and A. Piccolo, "Incipient fault detection for electric power transformers using neural modeling and the local statistical approach to fault diagnosis," in IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium(SAS), pp. 1-6, Feb. 2012.
- S. R. Samantaray, P. K. Dash, and S. K. Upadhyay, “Adaptive Kalman filter and neural network based high impedance fault detection in power distribution networks,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 167-172, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.01.001
- M. Z. A. El-Hamed, M. Zaki, W. El-Khattam, and R. El- Sharkawy, "Self-healing restoration of a distribution system using hybrid fuzzy control/ant-colony optimization algorithm," in 3rd International Conference on Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems(EPECS), pp. 1-6, Oct. 2013.
- D. Dustegor, S. V. Poroseva, M. Y. Hussaini, and S. Woodruff, “Automated graph-based methodology for fault detection and location in power systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 638-646, Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2037005
- J. Ghorbani, M. A. Choudhry, and A. Feliachi, "Real-time multi agent system modeling for fault detection in power distribution systems," in North American Power Symposium (NAPS), pp. 1-6, Sep. 2012.
- P. Singh, S. Verma, and O. Vyas, “Software fault prediction at design phase,” Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 1739-1745, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1739
- A. Medoued, A. Lebaroud, A. Laifa, and D. Sayad, “Classification of induction machine faults using time frequency representation and particle swarm optimization,” Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 170-177, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.170
- W. Kong, J. Huang, M. Kang, B. Li, and L. Zhao, “Fault-tolerant control of five-phase induction motor under single-phase open,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 899-907, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.899
- J. Upendar, C. P. Gupta, and G. K. Singh, “Statistical decision-tree based fault classification scheme for protection of power transmission lines,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 1- 12, Mar.2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.08.005
- X. Tang, L. Zhuang, J. Cai, and C. Li, “Multi-fault classification based on support vector machine trained by chaos particle swarm optimization,” Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 486-490, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2010.01.004
- W. Chen and A. M. Bazzi, "A generalized approach for intelligent fault detection and recovery in power electronic systems," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 4559-4564, Sep. 2013.
- X. Ding, J. Poon, I. Celanovic, and A. D. Dominguez-Garcia, “Fault detection and isolation filters for three-phase AC-DC power electronics systems,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 1038-1051, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2012.2221222
- N. G. Chitaliya and A. I. Trivedi, "Feature extraction using wavelet-PCA and neural network for application of object classification & face recognition," in Second International Conference on Computer Engineering and Applications (ICCEA), Vol. 1, pp. 510-514, Mar. 2010.
- N. G. Chitaliya and A. I. Trivedi, “An efficient method for face feature extraction and recognition based on contourlet transforms and principal component analysis,” Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 2, pp. 52-61, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2010.11.008
- J. O. Estima and A. J. M. Cardoso, “A new algorithm for real-time multiple open-circuit fault diagnosis in voltage-fed PWM motor drives by the reference current errors,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 3496-3505, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2188877
- R. Ghimire, C. Sankavaram, A. Ghahari, K. Pattipati, Y. Ghoneim, and M. Howell, "Integrated model-based and data-driven fault detection and diagnosis approach for an automotive electric power steering system," in IEEE AUTOTESTCON, pp. 70-77, Sep. 2011.
- R. Z. Haddad and E. G. Strangas, "Fault detection and classification in permanent magnet synchronous machines using fast fourier transform and linear discriminant analysis," in 9th IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics and Drives(SDEMPED), pp. 99-104, Aug. 2013.
- Z.-K. Hu, W.-H. Gui, C.-H. Yang, P.-C. Deng, and S. X. Ding, “Fault classification method for inverter based on hybrid support vector machines and wavelet analysis,” International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 9, pp. 797-804, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-011-0423-9
- X. Jin, S. Gupta, K. Mukherjee, and A. Ray, “Waveletbased feature extraction using probabilistic finite state automata for pattern classification,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 1343-1356, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2010.12.003
- Z. Liu, H. Cao, X. Chen, Z. He, and Z. Shen, “Multi-fault classification based on wavelet SVM with PSO algorithm to analyze vibration signals from rolling element bearings,” Neurocomputing, Vol. 99, pp. 399-410, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2012.07.019
- H. Luo, J. Cui, and Y. Wang, “A SVDD approach of fuzzy classification for analog circuit fault diagnosis with FWT as preprocessor,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, No. 8, pp. 10554-10561, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.02.087
- V. Malathi, N. S. Marimuthu, and S. Baskar, “A comprehensive evaluation of multicategory classification methods for fault classification in series compensated transmission line,” Neural Computing and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 595-600, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-009-0312-9
- M. A. Masrur, Z. H. Chen, and Y. L. Murphey, “Intelligent diagnosis of open and short circuit faults in electric drive inverters for real-time applications,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 279-291, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2008.0208
- S. Ramkumar, V. Kamaraj, and S. Thamizharasan, "GA based optimization and critical evaluation SHE methods for three-level inverter," in 1st International Conference on Electrical Energy Systems(ICEES), pp. 115-121, Jan. 2011.
- S. Debnath and R. N. Roy, "Harmonic elimination in multilevel inverter using Ga and Pso: acomparison," in IEEE Students' Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science, Mar. 2012.
- J. Upendar, G. K. Singh, and C. P. Gupta, “A particle swarm optimisation based technique of harmonic elimination and voltage control in pulse-width modulated inverters,” International Journal of Bio-Inspired Computation, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 18-26, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBIC.2010.030040
- S. Debnath and R. N. Ray, “Cuckoo search: a new optimization algorithm for harmonic elimination in multilevel inverter,” Journal of Bioinformatics and Intelligent Control, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 80-85, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1166/jbic.2012.1013
- S. A. Jumaat, I. Musirin, M. M. Othman, and H. Mokhlis, "Evolutionary particle swarm optimization (EPSO) based technique for multiple SVCs optimization," in IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy(PECon), pp. 183-188, Dec. 2012.
- E. R. Speed, "Evolving a Mario agent using cuckoo search and softmax heuristics," in International IEEE Consumer Electronics Society's Games Innovations Conference(ICEGIC), pp. 1-7, Dec. 2010.
- A. Kumar and S. Chakarverty, "Design optimization using genetic algorithm and cuckoo search," in IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology(EIT), pp. 1- 5, May 2011.
- X.-S. Yang and S. Deb, “Engineering optimisation by cuckoo search,” International Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Optimisation, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 330-343, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMMNO.2010.035430
- K. Bacha, S. Souahlia, and M. Gossa, “Power transformer fault diagnosis based on dissolved gas analysis by support vector machine,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 83, No. 1, pp. 73-79, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2011.09.012
- 1. A Matlab and Simulink Based Three-Phase Inverter Fault Diagnosis Method Using Three-Dimensional Features vol.16, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.1097