- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
New Techniques for Impedance Characteristics Measurement of Islanded Microgrid based on Stability Analysis
Hou, Lixiang;Zhuo, Fang;Shi, Hongtao
- Received : 2015.07.29
- Accepted : 2015.12.07
- Published : 2016.05.20
In recent years, microgrids have been the focus of considerable attention in distributed energy distribution. Microgrids contain a large number of power electronic devices that can potentially cause negative impedance instability. Harmonic impedance is an important tool to analyze stability and power quality of microgrids. Harmonic impedance can also be used in harmonic source localization. Precise measurement of microgrid impedance and analysis of system stability with impedances are essential to increase stability. In this study, we introduce a new square wave current injection method for impedance measurement and stability analysis. First, three stability criteria based on impedance parameters are presented. Then, we present a new impedance measurement method for microgrids based on square wave current injection. By injecting an unbalanced line-to-line current between two lines of the AC system, the method determines all impedance information in the traditional synchronous reference frame d-q model. Finally, the microgrid impedances of each part and the overall microgrid are calculated to verify the measurement results. In the experiments, a simulation model of a three-phase AC microgrid is developed using PSCAD, and the AC system harmonic impedance measuring device is developed.
Current injection;Harmonic impedance;Impedance;Impedance measurement;Microgrid
- S. V. Iyer, M. N. Belur, and M. C. Chandorkar, “A generalized computational method to determine stability of a multi-inverter microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 2420- 2432, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2048720
- N. Pogaku, M. Prodanovic, and T. C. Green, “Modeling, analysis and testing of autonomous operation of an inverter based microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 613-625, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.890003
- E. Barklund, N. Pogaku, and M. Prodanovic, “Energy management in autonomous microgrid using stability-constrained droop control of inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 2346-2352. Sep. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2001910
- S. Anand and B. Fernandes, “Reduced order model and stability analysis of low voltage DC microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, Vol. 60, No.11, pp. 5040-5049, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2227902
- M. A. Hassan, M. A. Abido, “Optimal design of microgrids in autonomous and grid-connected modes using particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 755-769, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2100101
- J. M. Guerrero, L. G. de Vicuna, J. Matas, M. Castilla, J. Miret, “A wireless controller to enhance dynamic performance of parallel inverters in distributed generation system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1205-1213, Sep. 2004,
- A. Emadi, A. Khaligh, C. H. Rivetta, and G. A. Williamson, “Constant power loads and negative impedance instability in automotive systems: Definition, modeling, stability and control of power,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1112-1125, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2006.877483
- X. Feng, J. Liu, and F. C. Lee, “Impedance specifications for stable dc distributed power systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 157-162, Mar. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.988825
- J. Liu, X. Feng, F. C. Lee, and D. Borojevich, "Stability margin monitoring for dc distributed power systems via current/voltage perturbation," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf., pp. 745-751, 2001.
- P. Xiao, G. K. Venayagamoorthy, and K. A. Corzine, "A novel impedance measurement technique for power electronic systems," in Proc. IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., pp. 955-960, 2007.
- J. Sun, “Input impedance analysis of single-phase PFC converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 308-314, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.843011
- Y. Panov and M. Jovanovic, "Practical issues of input/output impedance measurements in switching power supplies and application of measured data to stability analysis," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf, Vol. 2, pp. 1339-1345, 2005.
- R. D. Middlebrook, "Input filter consideration in design and application of switching regulators," IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 1976.
- J. J. Liu, X. G. Feng, and F. C. Lee, “Stability margin monitoring for DC distributed power systems via perturbation approaches,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1254-1261, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.818822
- S. D. Sudhoff, S. F. Glover, P. T. Lamm, D. H. Schmucker, and D. E. Delisle, “Admittance space stability analysis of power electronic systems,” IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 36 No. 3, pp. 965-973, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.869516
- J. Sun, “Impedance-based stability criterion for grid-connected inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3075-3078, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2136439
- Y. Xiao, J. C. Maun, H. B. Mahmoud, T. Detroz, and S. Do, "Harmonic impedance measurement using voltage and current increments from disturbing loads," Harmonics and quality of power, 2000 proceedings.ninth international conference, pp. 220-225, 2000.
- H. Yang, P. Prrotte, E. De Jaeger, and A. Robert, "A Harmonic emission levels of industrial loads-statistical estimation," CIGER Report 36-306, p. 8, 1996.
- M. J. Bridgeman, R. E. Morrison, and S. B. Tenakoon, "Measurement of harmonic impedance on an LV system utilizing power capacitor switching and consequent predictions of capacitor induced harmonic distortion," Harmonics and quality of power,1998.proceedings.8th international conference, pp. 1141-1145, 1998.
- X. Feng, Z. Ye, K. Xing, and F. C. Lee, "Individual load impedance specification for a stable dc distributed power system," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf., pp. 923-929, 1999.
- X. Feng and F. C. Lee, "Online measurement on stability margin of dc distributed power system," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf., pp. 1190-1196, 2000.
- L. Hou, B. Liu, H. Shi, H. Yi, and F. Zhuo, "New techniques for measuring islanded microgrid impedance characteristics based on current injection," in 2014 International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC2014), 2014.
- L. Hou, H. Shi, Z. Yang, and F. Zhuo, "Harmonic impedance calculation and measurement for an islanded microgrid," ECCE Asia Downunder (ECCE Asia), IEEE, 2013.
- H. Shi, Z. Yang, X. Yue, L. Hou, and F. Zhuo, "Calculation and measurement of harmonic impedance for a microgrid operating in Islanding mode," Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), 2012 7th International, 2012.
- J. C. Vsquez Quintero, J. M. G. Zapata, M. Savaghevi, and R. Teodorescu, “Modeling, analysis, and design of stationary reference frame droop controlled parallel three-phase voltage source inverters, ” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No.4, pp. 1271-1280, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2194951
- W. Yao, M. Chen, J. Matas, J. M. Guerrero, and Z. Qian, “Design and analysis of the droop control method for parallel inverters considering the impact of the complex impedance on the power sharing,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 576-588, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046001
- J. He and Y. W. Li, “Analysis, design, and implementation of virtual impedance for power electronics interfaced distributed generation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 47, No.6, pp. 2525-2538, Nov. 2011.