- Volume 16 Issue 3
This study proposes a classification and compensation algorithm of two non-ideal output signals of a resolver to reduce position errors. Practically, a resolver generates position errors because of amplitude imbalance and quadrature imperfection between the two output signals of the resolver. In this study, a digital signal processor system based on a resolver-to-digital converter is used to reconstruct the two output signals of the resolver. The two output signals, "sin" and "cos," can be represented by a unit circle on the xy-plot. The classification and compensation of the errors can be obtained by using the radius and area of the circle made by the resolver signals. The method computes the integration of the areas made by the two resolver output signals to classify and compensate the error. This system cannot be applied during transient response given that the area integration during the transient state causes an error in the proposed method. The proposed method does not need any additional hardware. The experimental results verify the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
resolver;resolver-to-digital (R/D);position errors;angle measurement;pulse excitation
- R. Hoseinnezhad, A. Bab-Hadiashar, and P. Harding, “Calibration of resolver sensors in electromechanical braking systems: A modified recursive weighted least-squares approach,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 1052-1060, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.893049
- A. Murray, B. Hare, and A. Hirao, "Resolver position sensing system with integrated fault detection for automotive applications," in Proc. IEEE Sensors, Vol. 2, pp. 864-869, 2002.
- R. Hoseinnezhad, “Position sensing in brake-by-wire calipers using resolvers,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 924-932, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2006.874576
- G. Liu, A. Kunia, R. De Larminat, P. Desmond, and T. O'Gorman, "A low torque ripple PMSM drive for EPS applications," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 1130-1136, 2004.
- L. Idkhajine, E. Monmasson, M. W. Naouar, A. Prata, and K. Bouallaga, “Fully integrated FPGA-based controller for synchronous motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 4006-4017, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2021591
- D. A. Khaburi, “Software-based resolver-to-digital converter for DSP-based drives using an improved angle-tracking observer,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 922-929, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2011.2179825
- S. Sarma, V. K. Agrawal, and S. Udupa, “Software-based resolver-to-digital conversion using a DSP,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 371-379, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.903952
- C. C. Hou, Y. H. Chiang, and C. P. Lo, "Experimental verification of the resolver dynamic model and control designs" IEEE Conf. PEDS., pp. 496-499, 2013.
- R. Hoseinnezhad, “Position sensing in brake-by-wire callipers using resolvers,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 924-932, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2006.874576
- D. C. Hanselman, “Resolver signal requirements for high accuracy resolver-to-digital conversion,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 556-561, Dec. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.103461
- D. C. Hanselman, “Technique for improving resolver-to-digital conver-sion accuracy,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 501-504, Dec. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.107116
- A. Bunte and S. Beineke, “High-performance speed measurement by suppression of systematic resolver and encoder errors,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 49-53, Feb. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2003.822084
- S. W. Hwang, Y. W. Kwon, J. M. Kim, and J. S. Oh, “Compensation of position error due to amplitude imbalance in resolver signals,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 748-756, Nov. 2009.
- H. S. Mok, S. H. Kim, and Y. H. Cho, “Reduction of PMSM torque ripple caused by resolver position error,” Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 11, pp. 646-647, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20070296
- S. H. Hwang, H. J. Kim, J. M. Kim, L. Liu, and H. Li, “Compensation of amplitude imbalance and imperfect quadrature in resolver signals for PMSM drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 134-143, Jan./Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2091477
- J. J. Moon, H. J. Heo, W. S. Im, and J. M. Kim, "Classification and compensation of amplitude imbalance and imperfect quadrature in resolver signals," IEEE. EPE Conf., pp. 1-7, 2014.