- Volume 16 Issue 3
Planar electromagnetic interference (EMI) filter has significant engineering significance to power electronic system integration and miniaturization. However, the value of differential mode capacitance cannot meet the demand of noise suppression because of the size limit of ceramics. In this case, the EMI filter of novel multilayers is recommended to address this issue. A novel integrated structure of EMI filter based on multilayer ceramic is proposed in this study. The inductance and capacitance of the new structure can be designed separately, which is an advantage in manufacturing. Insertion loss is measured more closely to the actual situation in this study, which is different from the condition where source and load impedances are both 50 Ω. In the process of designing a novel EMI filter, noise impedance is considered. Moreover, the prototype is created and applied to a small switching power supply, which verifies the effectiveness of the developed EMI filter.
Impedance mismatching;Multilayer ceramic capacitor;Planar EMI filter
- R. L. Ozenbaugh, EMI Filter Design, 2th ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc. Chap.3, pp. 25-65, 2001.
- S. Wang, Y. Zhu, X. Zhou, and L. Wu, “Characteristics research for planar common mode EMI filter based on toroidal LC coil,” Transactions of China Electrotechinal Society, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 68-73, Nov. 2011. (in Chinese)
- S. Wang and C. Xu, “Design theory and implementation of planar EMI filter based on annular integrated inductor-capacitor unit,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.28, No.3, pp. 1167-1175, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2207968
- H.-F. Huang and L.-Y. Deng, "Improving the high-frequency performance of integrated EMI filter with multiple ground layers," Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, pp. 249-252, 2012.
- V. Tarateeraseth, K. Y. See, F. G. Canavero, R. W. Chang, “Systematic electromagnetic interference filter design based on information from in-circuit impedance measurements,” IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 588-598, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2010.2046419
- R. Chen, J. D. van Wyk, S. Wang, and W. G. Odendaal, "Planar electromagnetic integrated technologies for integrated EMI filters," Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 3, No. 12, pp. 1582-1588, 2003.
- X. Wu, D. Xu, Z. Wen, Y. Okuma, and K. Mino, “Design, modeling, and improvement of integrated EMI filter with flexible multilayer foils,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1344-1354, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2077655
- S. Ye, “New EMI filter Design Methods for DC-DC and AC-DC Switching Power Supplies,” Queen’s University, Jun. 2003.
- F. Luo, D. Boroyevich, and P. Mattavelli, "Improving EMI filter design with in circuit impedance mismatching," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Twenty-Seventh Annual IEEE, pp. 1652-1658, 2012.
- J. Espina, J. Balcells, A. Arias, C. Ortega, and N. Berbel, "EMI model of an AC/AC power converter," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) , pp. 1-6, 2010.