- Volume 16 Issue 3
The high-switching-frequency operation of power converters can achieve high power density through size reduction of passive components, such as capacitors, inductors, and transformers. However, a small-output capacitor that has small capacitance and low effective series resistance changes the small-signal model of the converter power stage. Such a capacitor can make the converter unstable by increasing the crossover frequency in the transfer function of the small-signal model. In this paper, the design and implementation of a high-frequency LLC resonant converter are presented to verify the power density enhancement achieved by decreasing the size of passive components. The effect of small output capacitance is analyzed for stability by using a proper small-signal model of the LLC resonant converter. Finally, proper design methods of a feedback compensator are proposed to obtain a sufficient phase margin in the Bode plot of the loop gain of the converter for stable operation at 500 kHz switching frequency. A theoretical approach using MATLAB, a simulation approach using PSIM, and experimental results are presented to show the validity of the proposed analysis and design methods with 100 and 500 kHz prototype converters.
High switching frequency;LLC resonant converter;Power density;Transformer design
- I. Demirel and B. Erkmen, “A very low-profile dual output LLC resonant converter for LCD/LED TV application,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3514-3524, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2278715
- R. L. Steigerwald, “A comparison of half-bridge resonant converter topologies,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 174-182, Apr. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.4347
- B. Yang, F. C. Lee, A. J. Zhang, and H. Guisong, "LLC resonant converter for front end DC/DC conversion," in 17th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC), Vol. 2, pp. 1108-1112, Mar. 2002.
- B. Liu, W. Liu, Y. Liang, F. C. Lee, and J. D. V. Wyk, "Optimal design methodology for LLC resonant converter," in 21st Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC), Mar. 2006.
- J. H. Jung and J. G. Kwon, "Theoretical analysis and optimal design of LLC resonant converter," in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, Sep. 2007.
- J. H. Jung, “Bifilar winding of a center-tapped tansformer including integrated resonant inductance for LLC resonant converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 615-620, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2213097
- J. H. Jung, J. M. Choi, and J. G. Kwon, “Design methodology for transformers including integrated and center-tapped structure for LLC resonant converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 215-223, Mar. 2009.
- H. P. Park, H. J. Choi, and J. H. Jung, "500kHz high frequency LLC resonant converter for high power density," in Annual Conference on KIPE, pp. 189-190, Jul. 2014.
- H. S. Choi, “Design consideration of half-bridge LLC resonant converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 13-20, Jan. 2007.
- B. C. So, K. B. Seo, D. H. Lee, H. C. Jung, S. S. Hwang, H. W. Kim, K. Y. Cho, and B. K. Kim, “Design of LLC resonant converter having enhanced load range for communication power,” The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 461-469, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2012.17.5.461
- H. de Groot, E. Janssen, R. Pagano, and K. Schetters, “Design of a 1-MHz LLC resonant converter based on a DSP-driven SOI half-bridge power MOS module,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 6, pp.2307-2320, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904203
- H. S. Kim, J. W. Baek, M. H. Ryu, J. H. Kim, and J. H. Jung, “High efficiency isolated AC-DC converter using three-phase interleaved LLC resonant converter employing Y-connected rectifier,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4017-4028, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2290999
- J. W. Kim and G. W. Moon, “A new LLC series resonant converter with a narrow switching frequency variation and reduced conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4278-4287, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2285733
- M. D. Seeman, S. R. Bahl, D. I. Anderson, and G. A. Shah, "Advantages of GaN in a high-voltage resonant LLC converter," in 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 476-483, Mar. 2014.
- W. Zhang, Z. Xu, Z. Zhang, F. Wang, L. M. Tolbert, and B. J. Blalock, "Evaluation of 600 V cascade GaN HEMT in device characterization and all-GaN-based LLC resonant converter," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 3571-3578, Sep. 2013.
- F. Dianbo, F. C. Lee, L. Ya, and X. Ming, "1MHz high efficiency LLC resonant converter with synchronous rectifier," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 2304-2410, Jun. 2007.
- D. Fu, F. C. Lee, Y. Liu, and M. Xu, "Novel multi-element resonant converter for front-end DC/DC converters," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 250-256, Jun. 2008.
- S. R. Sanders, J. M. Noworolski, X. Z. Liu, and G. C. Verghese, “Generalized averaging method for power conversion circuit,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 251-259, Apr. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.76811
- B. C. Choi, Pulsewidth Modulation DC-to-DC Power Conversion, IEEE Press, 1st edition, 2014.
- Z. U. Zahid, J. S. Lai, X. K. Huang, S. Madiwale, and J. Hou, "Damping impact on dynamic analysis of LLC resonant converter" in 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC), pp. 2834-2841, Mar. 2014.
- B. Cheng, F. Musavi, and W. G. Dunford, "Novel small signal modeling and control of an LLC resonant converter," in 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 2828-2934, Mar. 2014.
- C. H. Chang, E. C. Chang, C. A. Cheng, H. L. Cheng, and S. C. Lin, "Digital compensator design for LLC resonant converter," in International symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control (IS3C), pp. 365-368, 2012.
- M. Shaik and R. Kankanala, “Digital compensator design for LLC resonant converter,” Microchip Technology Inc, Oct. 2012.
- H. D. Venable, "The K factor: a new mathematical tool for stability analysis and synthesis," in Proceedings of the POWERCON, pp. 1-10, 1983.
- PWM and PFM Hybrid Control Method for LLC Resonant Converters in High Switching Frequency Operation vol.64, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.849