- Volume 16 Issue 3
A novel pseudo-continuous conduction mode (PCCM) voltage-fed single-stage power factor correction (PFC) full-bridge battery charger is proposed in this paper. By connecting a freewheeling transistor in parallel with an input inductor, the PFC cell can operate in the PCCM with a constant duty ratio. Thus, the dc/dc stage can be designed using this constant duty ratio and the restriction on the duty ratio of the PFC cell is eliminated. As a result, the input current distortion is less and the dc bus voltage becomes controllable over the wide output power range of the battery charger. Moreover, the operation principle of the dc/dc stage is designed to be similar to that of a conventional phase-shifted full-bridge converter. Therefore, it is easy to implement. In this paper, the operation of the new converter is explained, and the design considerations of the controller and key parameters are presented. Simulation and experimental results obtained from a 1 kW prototype are given to confirm the operation of the proposed converter.
Battery charger;Full-bridge;Power factor correction;Single-stage
- A. Khaligh and Z. Li, “Battery, ultracapacitor, fuel cell, and hybrid energy storage systems for electric, hybrid electric, fuel cell, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles: State of the art,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 2806-2814, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2047877
- F. Musavi, W. Eberle, and W. G. Dunford, “A high-performance single-phase bridgeless interleaved PFC converter for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle battery chargers,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1833-1843, Jul./Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2156753
- D. S. Gautam, F. Musavi, M. Edington, W. Eberle, and W. G. Dunford, “An automotive on-board 3.3 kW battery charger for PHEV application,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3466-3474, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2210259
- T. H. Kim, S. J. Lee, and W. Choi, "Design and control of the phase shift full bridge converter for the on-board battery charger of electric forklifts," in IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 2709-2716, 2011.
- P. K. Jain, W. Kang, H. Soin, and Y. Xi, “Analysis and design considerations of a load and line independent zero voltage switching full bridge dc/dc converter topology,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 649-657, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.802181
- M. G. Egan, D. L. O’Sullivan, J. G. Hayes, M. J. Willers, and C. P. Henze, “Power-factor-corrected single-stage inductive charger for electric vehicle batteries,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 1217-1226, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.892996
- S. Li, J. Deng, and C. C. Mi, “Single-stage resonant battery charger with inherent power factor correction for electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 62, No. 9, pp. 4336-4344, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2265704
- H. Wang, Q. Sun, H. S. H. Chung, and S. Tapuchi, “A ZCS current-fed full-bridge PWM converter with self-adaptable soft-switching snubber energy,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 1977-1991, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2018559
- S. Jalbrzykowski and T. Citko, “Current-fed resonant full-bridge boost DC/AC/DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1198-1205, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.909084
- J. Burgmeier, and A. K. Rathore, “Extended range ZVS active-clamped current-fed full-bridge isolated DC/DC converter for fuel cell applications: analysis, design, and experimental results,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 2661-2672, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2194977
- R. Y. Chen, T. J. Liang, J. F. Chen, and R. L. Lin, “Study and implementation of a current-fed full-bridge boost DC–DC converter with zero-current switching for high-voltage applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1218-1226, Jul./Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.926056
- T. Meng, H. Q. Ben, C. Y. Li, and W. Guo, “Investigation and implementation of a passive snubber with a coupled-inductor in a single-stage full-bridge boost PFC converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 206-213, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.2.206
- G. Moschopoulos, “A simple AC–DC PWM full-bridge converter with integrated power-factor correction,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 1290-1297, Dec. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2003.819575
- G. Moschopoulos and J. Shah, “A Comparative study of simple Ac-Dc PWM full-bridge current-fed and voltage-fed converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 246-255, Jul. 2004.
- G. Moschopoulos and P. Jain, “Single-phase single-stage power-factor-corrected converter topologies,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 23-35, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.841148
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, “Analysis and design of a high efficiency full-bridge single stage converter with reduced auxiliary components,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 1850-1862, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2042970
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, “New optimized full-bridge single-stage AC/DC converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 6, pp. 2397-2409, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2060458
- P. Das, S. Li, and G. Moschopoulos, “An improved AC–DC single-stage full-bridge converter with reduced DC bus voltage,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 12, pp. 4882-4893, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2026386
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, “Solving technical problems on the full-bridge single-stage PFCs,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2264-2277, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2271594
- H. S. Ribeiro and B. V. Borges, “High-performance voltage-fed AC–DC full-bridge single-stage power factor correctors with a reduced DC bus capacitor,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 2680-2692, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2272723
- P. Das, M. Pahlevaninezhad, and G. Moschopoulos, “Analysis and design of a new AC–DC single-stage full-bridge PWM converter with two controllers,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 4930-4946, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2227915
- K. D. Gussemé, D. V. D. Sype, A. V. D. Bossche, and J. Melkebeek, “Digitally controlled boost PFC converters operating in both continuous and discontinuous conduction mode,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 88-97, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.841133
- L. Balogh, "Design and application guide for high speed MOSFET gate drive circuits," Power Supply Design Seminar SEM-1400, Topic 2, Texas Instruments Literature, 2001.
- S. Ma, T. Zhao, and B. Chen, "4A isolated half-bridge gate driver with 4.5V to 18V output drive voltage," in 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1490-1493, 2014.
- A. Prodic, D. Maksimovic, and R. W. Erickson, “Dead-zone digital controllers for improved dynamic response of low harmonic rectifiers,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 173-181, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.861157
- F. Zhang and J. Xu, “A novel PCCM boost PFC converter with fast dynamic response,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 4207-4216, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2098368
- F. Musavi, M. Craciun, D. S. Gautam, and W. Eberle, “Control strategies for wide output voltage range LLC resonant DC–DC converters in battery chargers,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 1117–1125, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2283158
- 1. Current-Sensorless Power-Decoupling Phase-Shift Dual-Half-Bridge Converter for DC–AC Power Conversion Systems Without Electrolytic Capacitor vol.32, pp.5, 2017, doi:10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.872