- Volume 16 Issue 3
A high-performance rectifier is introduced in this study. The proposed rectifier combines the conventional pulse width modulation, soft commutation, and instantaneously average line current control techniques to promote circuit performance. The voltage stresses of the main switches in the rectifier are lower than those in conventional rectifier topologies. Moreover, conduction losses of switches in the rectifier are certainly lower than those in conventional rectifier topologies because the power current flow path when the main switches are turned on includes two main power semiconductors and the power current flow path when the main switches are turned off includes one main power semiconductor. The rectifier also adopts a ZCS-PWM auxiliary circuit to derive the ZCS function for power semiconductors. Thus, the problem of switching losses and EMI can be improved. In the control strategy, the controller uses the average current control mode to achieve fixed-frequency current control with stability and low distortion. A prototype has been implemented in the laboratory to verify circuit theory.
Pulse width modulation;Rectifier;Soft switching
- M. Kazerani, P. D. Ziogas, and G. Joos, "A novel active current waveshaping technique for solid-state input power factor conditioners," in 15th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society(IECON), Vol. 1, pp.99-105, Nov. 1989.
- A. R. Prasad, P. D. Ziogas, and S. Manias, “An active power correction technique for three-phase diode rectifiers,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 6, pp. 83-92, Jan. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.65006
- L. Lai and P. Luo, “An FPGA-based fully digital controller for boost PFC converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 644-651, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.644
- H.-S. Kim, J.-W. Baek, M.-H. Ryu, J.-H. Kim, and J.-H. Jung, “Passive lossless snubbers using the coupled inductor method for the soft switching capability of boost PFC rectifiers,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 366-377, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.366
- J.-W. Kim, J.-H. Yi, and B.-H. Cho, “Enhanced variable on-time control of critical conduction mode boost power factor correction converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 890-898, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.5.890
- M. K. H. Cheun, M. H. L. Chow, Y. M. Lai, and K. H. Loo, “Effects of imperfect sinusoidal input currents on the performance of a boost PFC pre-regulator,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 689-698, Sep. 2012 https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.5.689
- Y.-H. Cho, H.-S. Mok, J.-K. Ji, and J.-S. Lai, “Digital control strategy for single-phase voltage-doubler boost rectifiers,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 623-631, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.4.623
- G. Hua, C. S. Leu, Y. Jiang, and F. C. Lee, "Novel zero-current-transition PWM converter," in 24th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 538-544, 1993.
- N. Jain, P. K. Jain, and G. Joos, “A zero voltage transition boost converter employing a soft switching auxiliary circuit with reduced conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 130-139, Jan. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.820549
- P. N. Enjeti and R. Martinez, "A high performance single-phase ac to dc rectifier with input power factor correction," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 190-196, 1993.
- J. C. Salmon, "Circuit topologies for PWM boost rectifiers operated from 1-phase and 3-phase ac supplies and using either single or split dc rail voltage outputs," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC), Vol. 1, pp. 473-479, Mar. 1995.
- S. Park, and A. M. Bazzi, and S.-Y. Park, “Input impedance and current feedforward control of single-phase boost PFC converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 577-586, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.577
- G. Cao and H. J. Kim, "Improved bridgeless interleaved boost PFC rectifier with optimized magnetic utilization and reduced sensing noise," in IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 436-441, Feb./Mar. 2014.
- A. F. de Souza and I. Barbi, “A new ZVS-PWM unity power factor rectifier with reduced conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 746-752, Nov. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.471294
- G.-C. Hsieh and C.-M. Wang, “ZCS-PWM full-wave boost rectifier with unity power factor and low conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 768-779, Aug. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.778234
- A. F. Souza and I. Barbi, “A new ZVS semiresonant high power factor rectifier with reduced conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 82–90, Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.744393
- C.-M. Wang, “A novel ZCS PWM power factor preregulator with reduced conduction losses,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 689–700, Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.843967
- W.-Y. Choi, J.-M. Kwon, E.-H. Kim, J.-J. Lee, and B.-H. Kwon, “Bridgeless boost rectifier with low conduction losses and reduced diode reverse-recovery problems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 769-780, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.891991
- D. D. C. Lu and W. Wang, "Bridgeless power factor correction circuits with voltage doubler configuration," in IEEE 9th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), pp. 1037-1042, Dec. 2011.
- C. S. Silva, Power factor correction with the UC3854, in Unitrode product and Applications Handbook 1995-1996, Unitrode Corp., Merrimack, NH, pp. 10-303-10-322, 1995.