- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Digital Self-Sustained Phase Shift Modulation Control Strategy for Full-Bridge LLC Resonant Converters
Zheng, Kai;Zhou, Dongfang;Li, Jianbing;Li, Li;Zhao, Yujing
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.01.16
- Published : 2016.05.20
A digital self-sustained phase shift modulation (DSSPSM) strategy that allows for good soft switching and dynamic response performance in the presence of step variations is presented in this paper. The working principle, soft switching characteristics, and voltage gain formulae of a LLC converter with DSSPSM have been provided separately. Furthermore, the method for realizing DSSPSM is proposed. Specifically, some key components of the proposed DSSPSM are carefully investigated, including a parameter variation analysis, the start-up process, and the zero-crossing capture of the resonant current. The simulation and experiment results verify the feasibility of the proposed control method. It is observed that the zero voltage switching of the switches and the zero current switching of the rectifier diodes can be easily realized in presence of step load variations.
Dynamic response;LLC resonant converter;Phase shift modulation;Soft switching;Step load variations;Traveling-wave tube microwave transmitter
- N. V. Bijeev, A. Malhotra, and V. Kumar, "Design and realization challenges of power supplies for space TWT," in Proc. IEEE Vacuum Electronics Conference, pp. 431-432, 2011.
- I. Barbi and R. Gules, “Isolated DC-DC converters with high-output voltage for TWTA Telecommunication Satellite Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 975-984, Jul. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.813762
- D. Springmann, D. Chan, and T. Schoemehl, "A 50W Ka-band NanoMPM," in Proc. IEEE Vacuum Electronics Conference, pp. 123-124, 2014.
- A. K. Singh, P. Das, and M. Pahlevaninezhad, "A novel high output voltage DC-DC LLC resonant converter with symmetric voltage quadrupler rectifier for RF communications," in Proc. IEEE Telecommunications Energy Conference, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- G. Zhang, D. Zhou, and L. Yang, “Development of novel type of two-stage high voltage converter,” Chinese Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 419-425, May 2013.
- B. Yang, "Topology investigation for front end DC/DC power conversion for distributed power system," Ph.D. Dissertation, Virgina Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA, 2003.
- R. Beiranvand, B. Rashidian, M.R. Zolghadri, and S. M. H. Alavi, “A design procedure for optimizing the LLC resonant converter as a wide output range voltage source,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 3749-3763, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2187801
- W. Feng, F. C. Lee, and P. Mattavelli, “Simplified optimal trajectory control (SOTC) for LLC resonant converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2415-2426, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2212213
- X. D. Li, “LLC-type dual-bridge resonant converter: Analysis, design, simulation, and experimental results,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, PP. 4313-4321, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2291207
- Y. Zhao, X. Xiang, W. Li, and X. He, “Advanced symmetrical voltage quadrupler rectifiers for high step-up and high output-voltage Converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, PP. 1622-1631, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2211108
- H. Pan, C. He, and F. Ajmal, “Pulse-width modulation control strategy for high efficiency LLC resonant converter with light load applications,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 11, PP. 2887-2894, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0846
- N. Shafiei, M. Ordonez, M. Cracium, and M. Edington, "High power LLC battery charger: Wide regulation using phase-shift for recovery mode," in Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, PP. 2037-2042, 2014.
- X. F. Sun, Y. F. Shen, Y. Zhu, and X. Guo, “Interleaved boost-integrated LLC resonant converter with fixed-frequency PWM control for renewable energy generation applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, PP. 4312-4326, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2358453
- C. Buccella, C. Cecati, H. Latafat, and P. Pape, “Observer-based control of LLC DC/DC resonant converter using extended describing functions,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 10, PP. 5881-5891, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2371137
- Z. Y. Mohamed and K. J. Praveen, "A review and performance evaluation of control Techniques in resonant converters," in Proc. IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, PP. 215-221, 2004.
- Z. Y. Mohamed, P. Humberto, and K. J. Praveen, “Self-sustained phase shift modulated resonant converters: Modeling, design, and performance,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 2, PP. 401-414, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869751
- Z. Y. Mohamed, "Control and modeling of high frequency resonant DC/DC converters for powering the next generation microprocessors," Ph. D. Dissertation, Queen's University, Canada, 2005.
- L. S. Jorge, C. Miguel, and M. Jaume, “Modeling and performance analysis of the DC/DC series–parallel resonant converter operating with discrete self-sustained phase-shift modulation technique,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 3, PP. 697-705, Mar. 2009.
- X. Fang, H. Hu, J. Shen, and I. Batarseh, “Operation mode analysis and peak gain approximation of the LLC resonant converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, PP. 1985-1995, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2168545
- Y. J. Park, H. J. Kim, J. Y. Chun, J. Y. Lee, Y. G. Pu, and K. Y. Lee, “A wide frequency range LLC resonant controller IC with a phase-domain resonance deviation prevention circuit for LED backlight units,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 861-875, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.861
- No-Load Control Method of LLC Resonant Converter for Plasma Sputtering Process Using Full-Bridge Structure vol.14, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-019-00088-y