- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of the Field-Oriented Control of Star-Connected 3-Phase Induction Motor Drives under Stator Winding Open-Circuit Faults
- Jannati, Mohammad ;
- Idris, Nik Rumzi Nik ;
- Aziz, Mohd Junaidi Abdul
- Received : 2015.06.12
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2016.05.20
A method for the fault-tolerant vector control of star-connected 3-phase Induction Motor (IM) drive systems based on Field-Oriented Control (FOC) is proposed in this paper. This method enables the control of a 3-phase IM in the presence of an open-phase failure in one of its phases without the need for control structure changes to the conventional FOC algorithm. The proposed drive system significantly reduces the speed and torque pulsations caused by an open-phase fault in the stator windings. The performance of the proposed method was verified using MATLAB (M-File) simulation as well experimental tests on a 1.5kW 3-phase IM drive system. This paper experimentally compares the operation of the proposed fault-tolerant vector controller and a conventional vector controller during open-phase fault.
Fault-tolerant control;Field-Oriented Control (FOC);Speed and torque pulsations;Star-connected;Stator winding open-circuit fault;3-phase induction motor drive
- M. Jannati, N. R. N. Idris, and Z. Salem, "A new method for modeling and vector control of unbalanced induction motors," in Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 3625-3632, Sep. 2012.
- M. Jannati, N. R. N. Idris, and M. J. A. Aziz, "A new method for RFOC of Induction Motor under open-phase fault," in 39th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2013, pp. 2530-2535, Nov. 2013.
- A. Sayed-Ahmed and N. A. Demerdash, “Fault-tolerant operation of delta-connected scalar-and vector-controlled AC motor drives,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 3041-3049, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2176556
- Z. Yifan and T. A. Lipo, "An approach to modeling and field-oriented control of a three phase induction machine with structural imbalance," in Proc. APEC, San Jose, TX, pp. 380-386, Mar. 1996.
- M. E. H. Benbouzid, D. Diallo, and M. Zeraoulia, “Advanced fault-tolerant control of induction-motor drives for EV/HEV traction applications: From conventional to modern and intelligent control techniques,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 519-528, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2006.889579
- D. Kastha and A. K. Majumdar, “An improved starting strategy for voltage-source inverter fed three-phase induction motor drives under inverter fault conditions,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 726-732, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.849043
- F. Zidani, d. Diallo, M. E. H. Benbouzid, and R. Nait-said, “A fuzzy-based approach for the diagnosis of fault modes in a voltage-fed PWM inverter induction motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 586-593, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911951
- A. Raisemche, B. Boukhnifer, C. Larouci, and D. Diallo, “Two active fault tolerant control schemes of induction motor drive in EV or HEV,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 19-29, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2272182
- C. C. Yeh and N. A. Demerdash, “Fault-tolerant soft starter control of induction motors with reduced transient torque pulsations,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 848-859, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2025340
- Z. Liu, X. Yin, Z. Zhang, D. Chen, and W. Chen, “Online rotor mixed fault diagnosis way based on spectrum analysis of instantaneous power in squirrel cage induction motors,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 485-490, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.832052
- J. Faiz, V. Ghorbanian, and B. M. Ebrahimi, “EMD-based analysis of industrial induction motors with broken rotor bar for identification of operating point at different supply modes,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 957-966, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2289941
- H. Niemann and J. Stoustrup, “Passive fault tolerant control of a double inverted pendulum – A case study,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 1047-1059, Aug. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2004.11.002
- R. Oubellil and M. Boukhnifer, "Passive fault tolerant control design of energy management system for electric vehicle," in 23rd International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 1402-1408, Jun. 2014.
- M. Salehifar, R. S. Arashloo, M. M. Eguilaz, and V. Sala, “FPGA based robust open transistor fault diagnosis and fault tolerant sliding mode control of five-phase PM motor drives,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 131-145, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.131
- H. Guzman, M. J. Duran, F. Barrero, B. Bogado, and S. Toral, “Speed control of five-phase induction motors with integrated open-phase fault operation using model-based predictive current control techniques,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 9, pp. 4474-4484, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2289882
- H. M. Ryu, J.-W. Kim, and S.-K. Sul, “Synchronous-frame current control of multiphase synchronous motor under asymmetric fault condition due to open phases,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 1062-1070, Jul./Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.876074
- A. Gaeta, G. Scelba, and A. Consoli, “Modeling and control of three-phase PMSMs under open-phase fault,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 74-83, Jan./Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2228614
- D. K. Kastha and B. K. Bose, “Fault mode single-phase operation of a variable frequency induction motor drive and improvement of pulsating torque characteristics,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 426-433, Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.303793
- D. K. Kastha and B. K. Bose, “On-line search based pulsating torque compensation of a fault mode single-phase variable frequency induction motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 802-811, Jul./Aug. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.395290
- A. Sayed-Ahmed, B. Mirafzal, and N. A. O. Demerdash, “Fault-tolerant technique for Δ-connected AC-motor drives,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 646-653, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2088401
- T. H. Liu, J.-R. Fu, and T. A. Lipo, “A strategy for improving reliability of field-oriented controlled induction motor drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 910-918, Sep. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.245714
- P. Vas, Vector Control of AC Machines, Clarendon press Oxford, 1990.
- A. Saleh, M. Pacas, and A. Shaltout, "Fault tolerant field oriented control of the induction motor for loss of one inverter phase," in 32nd Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics, pp. 817-822, Nov. 2006.