- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Anti-obesity Effects of Platycodi Radix, Combination of Platycodi Radix and Cyperi Rhizoma on Obesity Induced by High Fat Diet
고지방식이로 유도된 비만에 대한 길경(桔梗), 길경 향부자(桔梗 香附子) 배합 추출물의 항비만 효과
Jang, Young Eun;Seo, Bu Il
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.05.30
Objectives : The researcher investigated the anti-obesity effect of Platycodi Radix (P), Platycodi Radix and Cyperi Rhizoma combination water extract (PC) in mice fed a high fat diet and focused on the analysis of local area adipose tissue.Methods : Male ICR mice were divided into four groups, which were fed either a normal AIN diet (N group), a high fat diet (HFD group), or a high fat diet and orally administration with a concentraion of 300 mg/kg body weight (P group or PC group) for eight weeks.Results : Compared to mice in the HFD group, mice in the P group or PC group showed significant reductions in weight gain and relative weight of total fat. Compared to mice in the HFD group, mice in the P group showed significant reductions in relative weight of liver. In blood biochemistry analysis, AST, ALT, triglyceride, total-cholesterol and low density lipoprotein(LDL)-cholesterol, AI levels of P group or PC group were significantly lower than those of the control group AI. But serum serum high density lipoprotein(HDL)-cholesterol levels from the P group or PC group were significantly higher than those of the HFD mice in serum. And serum adiponectin levels from the P group or PC group were significantly increased that those of the HFD mice. And adipocyte number in the fat tissue from the P group or PC group was significantly higher than those of the HFD mice.Conclusions : Platycodi Radix, Platycodi Radix-Cyperi Rhizoma have an anti-obesity effect in mice and the effect is mediated by inhibition of fat gain.
Platycodi Radix;Cyperi Rhizoma;Combination of Platycodi Radix and Cyperi Rhizoma;anti-obesity;fat loss
- Bray MS. Genomics, and environmental interactio n：the role of exercise. J Appl Physiol. 1985；88(2)：788-92.
- Korean society for the study of obesity. Clinical bariatrics. Seoul:Korean medicine. 2011：1-26
- Press release of National health insurance 2014. Retrieved Dec. 14, 2015. from：http：//www.nhis.or.kr/menu/retriveMenuSet.xx?menuId=D4000
- Sharrett AR, Ballantyne CM, Coady SA. Heiss G, Sorile PD, Catellier D, Patsch W. Coronary heart disease prediction from lipoprotein cholesterol levels, triglycerides,lipoprotein(a), apolipoproteins A-I and B, and HDL density subfractions：the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study. Circulation. 2001；104(10)：1108-13. https://doi.org/10.1161/hc3501.095214
- British Medical Association, Seoul national university hospital. Complete home medical guide. Seoul: Junghan PNP. 2003：631.
- Kim YS. Clinical stroke. Seoul:Seowondang. 1997：347-438.
- WHO. Retrieved Dec. 14, 2015. from：http：//www.who.int/ mediacentre/factsheets /fs311/en/
- Jung BS. Illustrated book of dictionary for Korean herbal medicine. Seoul：Younglimsa. 1998：1089, 240-241.
- Ko BS, Kwon DY, Hong SM, Park SM. In vitro Anti-diabetic Effects of Crude Extracts of Platycodi Radix. KOREAN J. FOOD SCI. TECHNOL. 2007； 39(6)：701-707.
- The textbook compilation committee of Korean herbology. Korean herbology. Seoul：Younglimsa. 2011：396-7, 497-8.
- Kim WH, Choi DY. Diagnosis and treatment based on overall analysis of organ symptoms. 6th edition. Seoul:Sungbosa. 1996：69-73, 203-204, 224.
- A.D.T. Govan, Lee JD. Pathology illustrated. 2nd edition. Seoul:Korean medicine.. 1991：247-249.
- Park SM, Park JY, Boo SY. Study for obesity care. Seoul:Hanmi medicine. 2015.
- Kim YS, Lee BE, Kim KJ, Cho KB, Chung YC. Antitumor and immundulatory activies of the P. grandiflorum cultivated for more than 20years. Yakhak Hoeji. 1998；42L：382-7.
- Cha MR, Choi CW, Yoo DS, Choi YH, Park BK, Kim EJ, et al. Cognitive Enhancing Effect of Saponin Rich Fraction from the Roots Extract of Platycodon grandiflorum in Mice. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 2011； 42(1)：27-31.
- Shin CG. Catechetical herbology. Seoul:Sungbosa. 1992：147-148, 193.
- Park CI, Park KM. Effects of Cyperi Rhizoma on Relevant Conditions of Metabolic Syndrome in Rats with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The J Oriental Obsterics & Gynecol. 2011；24(4)：20-30.
- Bjorntorp P. The associations between obesity, adipose tissue distribution and disease. Acta Med Scand. 1988；723：121-134.
- Plaa GL, Charbonneau M. Detection and evaluation of chemically induced liver injury. In Principles and Methods of Toxicology. New York：Hayes AW ed., Raven Press. 1994：839-870.
- Schulze MB, Rimm EB, Shai I, Rifai N, Hu FB. Relationship Between Adiponectin and Glycemic Control, Blood Lipids, and Inflammatory Markers in Men With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004；27(7)：1680-1687. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.7.1680
- Byung-Sung Park. Effect of the Feeding Belly Fat on Plasma Lipids Levels in Rats. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 2004；24(2)：189-197.
- Rosenfeld L. Lipoprotein analysis. Arch pathol Lab. 1989；113：1101-1110.
- Mi Jung Park. Recent Advances in Regulating Energy Homeostasis and Obesity. Korean Journal of Pediatrics. 2005；48(2)：126-137.
- Dietary Fibers and Glycemic Load. Obesity, and Plasma Adiponectin Levels in Women With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006；29(7)：1501-1505. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-0221
- Adiponectin and Future Coronary Heart Disease Events Among Men With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Februrary. 2005；54(2)：534-539. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.54.2.534
- David J. Mela. Food diet and obesity. Seoul：Hanmi medicine. 2007：13-25.
- Jiyoung Park, Jae Bum Kim. Molecular Insights into Fat Cell Differentiation and Functional Roles of Adipocytokines. Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2002；17(1)：1-9.
- Kim BK, Oh YJ, Chun YH, Ha JW, Lee HW, Jung HK, et al. Effect of SSEx on the Metabolic Syndrome in High-Fat Diet Induced Obese Mice. J. of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2010；21(4)：65.
- Kim TY, Shin YW. The Effect of Femented Platycodon grandiflorum on the Memory Impairment of Mice. Kor. J. Herbology. 2013；28(2)：25-31. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2013.28.2.25
- Kim YS, Kim JS, Choi YH, Seo JH, Lee JW, Kim SK, et al. Ameliorating Effect of the Root Extract from Platycodon grandiflorum on the Ethanolinduced Cognitive Impairment in Mice. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 2004；35(3)：239-243.
- Yun SH, Jung IC, Lee SR. Effects of Cyperus rotundus (CPRT) on Inhibition of Impairment of Learning and Memory, and Acetylcholinesterase in Amnesia Mice. J. of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2004；14(1)：59-71.
- Kim IJ, Lee DW. Experimental Study on the Antidepressant Effect of Ginseng Radix Alba and Cyperi Rhizoma. J. of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2004；15(1)：101-119.
- Uhm JT, Bae SY, Park KS, Kim KS, A study on effects Cyperus rotundus L. essential oil inhalation on stress relaxation with HRV, EEG. The journal of Korean medicine research institute of Daejeon Univ. 2014；22(2)：81-92.