- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant and Anti-physical fatigue Effects of Polygonati Rhizoma and steamed Polygonati Rhizoma
황정(黃精)과 증숙 황정(蒸熟 黃精)의 항산화, 항피로 효능 비교 연구
- Received : 2016.04.26
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.05.30
Objectives： Polygonati Rhizoma (PR) has containing the bioactive compounds such as poly sccharide A,B,C, oligosaccharide, amino acid, it has reported to anti-diabetes and hypertension, atherosclerosis. In this study, we were evaluates antioxidant and anti-physical fatigue effects of PR and steamed PR.Methods : The sample was divided into 5 groups-PR0 (PR without steaming process), PR1 (PR with once steaming process), PR3 (PR with third steaming process), PR6 (PR with sixth steaming process), PR9 (PR with ninth steaming process). We measured anti-oxidant activity through contents of polyphenol, flavonoid and DPPH, ABTS free radical scavenging capacity. And, anti-physical fatigue effect was evaluated using the swimming test, and the AMPK protein expressions in soleus muscle.Results ： As a result, polyphenol, flavonoid, DPPH, ABTS free radical scavenging capacity of PR were increased as steaming times. Anti-physical fatigue effects by swimming test, PR0 have significantly increased, but steamed PR groups were decreased. The AMPK protein expressions of PR0 and PR1 groups were increased comparing with PR3, PR6 and PR9. All groups had effects on decreasing TG, creatine in blood serum, but had no effects on TC in blood serum.Conclusions ： In conclusion, PR with 9 steaming process was more excellent than not-processed PR in anti-oxidant effect such as DPPH, ABTS radical scavenging activity and contents of polyphenol, flavonoid, but, not-processed PR increased swimming times than processed PR. These results suggest that processed PR has anti-oxidant effect as steaming times, and not-processed PR may be a novel potential anti-physical fatigue agents than processed PR.
Polygonati Rhizoma;Steamed Polygonati Rhizoma;Anti-oxidant;Anti-physical fatigue
- Sun XY. Shennongbencaojing. Taipei : China Intercontinental Press. 1985 : 41.
- The National College of Oriental Medicine, herbalism common materials Compilation Committee. Herbal medicine. Seoul : Younglim publisher. 2005 : 654.
- Do HK, Myungei-byelgok. Beijing : People's health publisher. 1986 : 23.
- Sang JG. Ilhwajaboncho chockboncho. Hepei : Anhui Science and Technology Publisher. 2005 : 33.
- Lee SJ. Compendium of Materia Medica. Beijing : Chinese Medicine Science and Technology Publisher. 2011 : 376.
- Gang BS. Primary color illustrated oriental medicine book. Daegu : Dong-A munhwasa. 2008 : 1006.
- Kim JG. Oriental traditional drugs primary color illustrated book. Seoul : Younglim publisher. 1995 : 130-1.
- Gao HM. Chinese Pharmacy. Beijing : Chinese Medicine publisher. 2006 : 554-5.
- China Institute of Science and drugs. Chinese Medicine Chi Chapter 2. Beijing : People's health publishing house. 1985 : 57-62.
- Xiao Pei root master. New Chinese Medicine Chi. Beijing : Chemical Industry Press. 2002 : 902-10.
- Wang XA. Modern pharmacology. Tianjin : Tianjin Science and Technology Press. 1997 : 1353-6.
- Ye DJ. Jang SS. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Science. Beijing : Chinese Medicine publisher. 1997 : 71.
- Kang MW. Studies on the Antioxidant Activity of Steamed Polygonati rhizoma. Joongbu university, 2013.
- Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Cao L. Oomah BD. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J. Agric. Food Chem. 1998 ; 46(10) : 4113-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9801973
- Chae SK, Standard Food Analysis. Paju : Jigu publisher. 2002 : 381-2.
- Blosis MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 1958 ; 26 : 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, & Rice-Evans, C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free radical biology and medicine. 1999 ; 26(9) : 1231-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Manach C, Scalbert A, Morand C, Rémésy C, Jiménez L. Polyphenols: food sources and bioavailability. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 ; 79(5) : 727-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/79.5.727
- Kang GH. Anti oxidative Activity of Phenolic Compounds Isolated from Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) Seeds. Catholic university of daegu. 2001.
- Choi HJ, Han HS, Park JH, Son JH, Bae JH Sunn TS, Choi J. Antioxidantive, Phospholipase A2 Inhibiting, and Anticancer Effect of Polyphenol Rich Fractions from Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry. 2003 ; 46(3) : 251-6.
- Kim JH, Effect of Different Part of Mandarin Intake on Anti oxidative Capacity in rats. Ewha womans university. 2003.
- Oh SH. Study on Anti oxidative Effects of Polyphenols Extracted from Chestnut Inner Shell, Pine Needle, Hop, and Persimmon. Dongkuk university. 2005.
- Lim SS, Lee YS, Kim EJ, Yoon JH, SHin HK. Rubus coreanus concentrated polyphenol antioxidant and cancer-cell proliferation inhibitory effect of water. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition Industry Symposium. 2005 : 383.
- Nijveldt RJ, van Nood E, van Hoorn DE, Boelens PG, van Norren K, van Leeuwen PA. Flavonoids: a review of probable mechanisms of action and potential applications. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 ; 74(4) : 418-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/74.4.418
- Kim SC. Isolation and Antioxidant Activities of Flavonoids from the Root of Scutellaria baicalensis G. Konkuk university. 1995.
- Lee JS. Antioxidant activity of flavonoids derived in Rhus verniciflua Stokes. Ajou university. 2002.
- Jung LW. Antioxidant Activity and Radioprotection of Two Flavonoids from Propolis. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2005 ; 34(2) : 162-6 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.162
- Jia tian zhu. Zailunzhongyaoshengshudebianhdizuoyong. Chinese Tmditional Patent Medicine. 2006 ; 28(7) : 984-86.
- Lee SJ, Jung HY, Lee IK, Yoo ID. Isolation and Identification of Flavonoids from Ethanol Extracts of Artemisia vulgaris and Their Anti oxidant Activity. Korean J. Food SCI. Thchnol. 1999 ; 31(3) : 815-22.
- Park JM. Antioxidative effects of polygonatum odoratum extracts on rat skin. pukyong national university. 2007.
- Roh SW. Effects of Polygonati Rhizoma on the Diet-induced Hyperlipidemia in Rats. 2008 ; 22(5) : 1147-51.
- Han SG. Effect s of Rhiz oma Polygonati on the regional Cerebral Blood Flow and Blood Pressure. Wonkwang university. 2002.
- Shin MG. Clinical Herbal medicines. Seoul : Younglim publisher. 1992 : 197.
- Winder WW, Hardie DG. AMP-activated protein kinase, a metabolic master switch: possible roles in type 2 diabetes. Am. J. Physiol. 1999 ; 227(1) : 1-10.