- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Induction of Growth Inhibition and Apoptosis in Human Cancer Cells by a Brown Algae Extract
갈조류 추출물에 의한 인간 암세포 성장 억제 및 세포 사멸 유도
Choo, Kang-Sik;Lee, Hae-Nim;Shin, Seong-Ah;Kim, Hyeong-Jin;Park, Young-Seok;Kim, Sang-Ki;Jung, Ji-Youn
- Received : 2015.12.24
- Accepted : 2016.04.27
- Published : 2016.05.30
In this study, we investigated the effects of Undaria pinnatifida (UP), Petalonia binghamiae (PB) and Punctaria latifolia (PL) extracts on the inhibition of proliferation and apoptosis in human gastric and breast cancer cells. AGS, MDA-MB-231 and SK-BR-3 cells were treated with 0, 50, 100, and 200 μg/ml concentrations of the extracts to determine their anti-proliferative effects, using the MTT assay. The UP, PB and PL extracts inhibited proliferation of AGS, MDA-MB-231 and SK-BR-3 cells in a dose-dependent manner, and the PL extract was found to be the most effective. DAPI staining was also performed to determine changes in the cell nucleus. Further, the AGS, MDA-MB-231 and SK-BR-3 cells were treated with 0, 50, 100, and 200 μg/ml of only the PL extract. DAPI staining showed increased chromatin condensation, which is indicative of apoptosis, in the 200 μg/ml group. The expression of the Bax, Bcl-2, and PARP proteins in AGS, MDA-MB-231 and SK-BR-3 cells treated with the PL extract was also determined by western blot analysis. The expression of Bax (a pro-apoptotic protein) and cleaved-PARP was increased, whereas the expression of Bcl-2 (an anti-apoptotic protein) was decreased compared with the control. These findings indicate that the PL extract may have potential as an alternative anticancer drug and nutraceutical.
Apoptosis;Bcl-2 family;Petalonia binghamiae;Punctaria latifol;Undaria pinnatifida
- Adams, J. M. and Cory, S. 1998. The Bcl-2 protein family: arbiters of cell survival. Science 281, 1322-1326. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.281.5381.1322
- Atashrazm, F., Lowenthal, R. M., Woods, G. M., Holloway, A. F. and Dickinson, J. L. 2015. Fucoidan and cancer: A multifunctional molecule with anti-tumor potential. Mar. Drugs. 13, 2327-2346. https://doi.org/10.3390/md13042327
- Banafa, A. M., Roshan, S., Liu, Y. Y., Chen, H. J., Chen, M. J., Yang, G. X. and He, G. Y. 2013. Fucoidan induces G1 phase arrest and apoptosis through caspases-dependent pathway and ROS induction in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells. J. Huazhong Univ. Sci. Technol. Med. Sci. 33, 717-724. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11596-013-1186-8
- Chua, E. G., Verbrugghe, P., Perkins, T. T. and Tay, C. Y. 2015. Fucoidans disrupt adherence of helicobacter pylori to AGS cells in vitro. J. Evid. Based. Complementary Altern. Med. 2015, 6.
- Danial, N. N. and Korsmeyer, S. J. 2004. Cell death: critical control points. Cell 116, 205-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(04)00046-7
- Doll, S. R. 1992. The lessons of life: keynote address to the nutrition and cancer conference. Cancer Res. 52, 2024-2029.
- Donovan, M. and Cotter, T. G. 2004. Control of mitochondrial integrity by Bcl-2 family members and caspase-independent cell death. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1644, 133-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2003.08.011
- Dorssers, L. C. J., van der Flier, S., Brinkman, A., van Agthoven, T., Veldscholte, J., Berns, E. M. and Foekens, J. A. 2001. Tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer. Drugs 61, 1721-1733. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-200161120-00004
- Evans, V. G. 1993. Multiple pathways to apoptosis. Cell. Biol. Int. Rep. 17, 461-476. https://doi.org/10.1006/cbir.1993.1087
- Guidry, J. J., Greisinger, A., Aday, L. A., Winn, R. J., Vernon, S. and Throckmorton, T. A. 1996. Barriers to cancer treatment: a review of published research. Oncol. Nurs. Forum. 23, 1393-1398.
- Hajra, K. M. and Liu, J. R. 2004. Apoptosome dysfunction in human cancer. Apoptosis 9, 691-704. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:APPT.0000045786.98031.1d
- Han, S. I., Kim, Y. S. and Kim, T. H. 2008. Role of apoptotic and necrotic cell death under physiologic conditions. BMB Rep. 41, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2008.41.1.001
- Han, Y. S., Lee, J. H. and Lee, S. H. 2015. Antitumor effects of fucoidan on human colon cancer cells via activation of Akt signaling. Biomol. Ther. (Seoul). 23, 225. https://doi.org/10.4062/biomolther.2014.136
- Hebert-Croteau, N., Freeman, C. R., Latreille, J. and Brisson, J. 2002. Delay in adjuvant radiation treatment and outcomes of breast cancer–a review. Breast. Cancer. Res. Treat. 74, 77-94. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016089215070
- Hu, P. J., Yu, J., Zeng, Z. R., Leung, W. K., Lin, H. L., Tang, B. D., Bal, A. H. C. and Sung, J. J. Y. 2004. Chemoprevention of gastric cancer by celecoxib in rats. Gut. 53, 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2003.021477
- Jung, K. W., Won, Y. J., Kong, H. J., Oh, C. M., Lee, D. H. and Lee, J. S. 2014. Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011. J. Cancer Res. Ther. 46, 109.
- Kang, M. C., Lee, J. Y., Ko, R. K., Kim, H. B., Hong, S. H. and Kim, G. O. 2008. Melanin inhibitory effect and anti-inflammatory effects of Dietyota coriacea extracts derived from adjacent sea of the Jeju island. KSBB J. 23, 311-316.
- Kaufmann, S. H., Desnoyers, S., Ottaviano, Y., Davidson, N. E. and Poirier, G. G. 1993. Specific proteolytic cleavage of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase: an early marker of chemotherapy-induced apoptosis. Cancer Res. 53, 3976-3985.
- Kelley, J. R. and Duggan, J. M. 2003. Gastric cancer epidemiology and risk factors. Int. J. Chronic. Dis. 56, 1-9.
- Kim, E. J., Park, S. Y., Hong, J. E., Shin, M. J., Lim, S. S., Shin, H. K. and YoonPark, J. H. 2007. Inhibitory effect of the methanolic extract of Symphyocladia latiuscula on the growth of HT-29 human colon cancer cells. J. Kor. Soc Food Sci. Nutr. 36, 431-438. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.4.431
- Kim, S. A., Kim, J., Woo, M. K., Kwak, C. K. and Lee, M. S. 2005. Antimutagenic and cytotoxic effects of ethanol extracts from five kinds of seaweeds. J. Korean. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 34, 451-459. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.4.451
- Kim, T. Y., Han H. S. and Lee, Y. J. 2013. Apoptosis induction of HCT-15 cells by extracts of Undaria pinnatifida with fermented micro-organism. Kor. J. Herbology 28, 33-40
- Kong, C. S., Um, Y. R., Lee, J. I., Kim, Y. A., Lee, J. S. and Seo, Y. W. 2008. Inhibition effects of extracts and its solvent fractions isolated from Limonium tetragonum on growth of human cancer cells. KSBB J. 23, 177-182.
- Kwon, M. J. and Nam, T. J. 2007. A polysaccharide of the marine alga Capsosiphon fulvescens induces apoptosis in AGS gastric cancer cells via an IGF-IR-mediated PI3K/Akt pathway. Cell. Biol. Int. 31, 768-775. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cellbi.2007.01.010
- Lee, H. O., Kim, D. S., Do, J. R. and Ko, Y. S. 1999. Angiotensin-I converting enzyme inhibitory activity of algae. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 32, 427-431.
- Lim, J. H., Jung, K. S., Lee, J. S., Jung, E. S., Kim, D. K., Kim, Y. S., Woo, Y. and Park, D. H. 2008. The study on antimicrobial and antifungal activity of the wild seaweeds of Jeju island. J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists. Kor. 34, 201-207.
- Min, K. J., Choung, S. H. and Koo, S. J. 1999. Studies on the anticancer effect of Broussonetia kazinoki extracts. Kor. J. Soc. Food. Sci. 15, 231-237.
- Mukhtar, H. and Ahmad, N. 1999. Cancer chemoprevention: future holds in multiple agents. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. Suppl. 158, 207-210. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.1999.8721
- Nishino, T., Yokoyama, G., Dobashi, K., Fujihara, M. and Nagumo, T. 1989. Isolation, purification, and characterization of fucose-containing sulfated polysaccharides from the brown seaweed Ecklonia kurome and their blood-anticoagulant activities. Carbohydr. Res. 186, 119-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(89)84010-8
- Okada, H. and Mak, T. W. 2004. Pathways of apoptotic and non-apoptotic death in tumour cells. Nat. Rev. Cancer 4, 592-603. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1412
- Qiu, D. and Tanaka, S. 2002. International comparisons of cumulative risk of stomach cancer, from cancer incidence in five continents vol. VIII. Jpn. J. Clin. Oncol. 36, 123-124.
- Seeram, N. P. 2008. Berry fruits for cancer prevention: current status and future prospects. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56, 630-635. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072504n
- Shon, Y. H., Lee, K. T., Park, S. H., Cho, K. H., Lim, J. K. and Nam, K. S. 2001. Induction of NAD (P) H: quinone reductase and glutathione S-transferase by Xanthii fructus and Prunellae spica extracts. Niger. J. Nat. Prod. Med. 32, 269-273.
- Song, Q., Kuang, Y., Dixit, V. M. and Vincenz, C. 1999. Boo, a novel negative regulator of cell death, interacts with Apaf 1. EMBO J. 18, 167-178. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/18.1.167
- Stavric, B. 1994. Role of chemopreventers in human diet. Clin. Biochem. 27, 319-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-9120(94)00039-5
- Yim, H. B., Lee, G. and Chae, H. J. 2004. cytotoxicity of ethanol extract of Raphanuse sativus on human lung cacer cell line. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 33, 287-290. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.2.287
- Yoon, J. A., Yu, K. W., Jun, W. J., Cho, H. Y., Son, Y. S. and Yang, H. C. 2000. Screening of anticoagulant activity in the extracts of edible seaweeds and optimization of extraction condition. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 29, 1098-1106.
- Zhang, L., Hou, Y. H., Wu, K., Zhai, J. S. and Lin, N. 2010. Proteomic analysis reveals molecular biological details in varioliform gastritis without Helicobacter pylori infection. World J. Gastroenterol. 16, 3664-3673. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i29.3664