- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Enzymatic Synthesis of 1, 2-Hexanediol Galactoside by Whole Cells of β-Galactosidase-containing Recombinant Escherichia coli
β-galactosidse 함유하는 재조합 대장균 세포를 이용한 1,2-hexanediol galactoside의 합성
Kim, Yi-Ok;Jung, Kyung-Hwan
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.28
- Published : 2016.05.30
Recently, it has been reported that some preservatives used in cosmetics lead to skin problems. Among the many cosmetic ingredients, 1, 2-hexanediol (HD) is used as both a preservative and humectant. In order to develop safer ingredients, we studied the synthesis of 1, 2-hexanediol galactoside (HD-G) by a transgalactosylation reaction using β-galactosidase (β-gal)-containing recombinant Escherichia coli cells. The transgalactosylation reaction was carried out under high-lactose conditions for 24 hr. After 12 hr had elapsed, a new spot was identified by thin-layer chromatography (TLC) analysis, and we presumptively designated this new spot as HD-G. Then, we carried out the purification of the presumptive HD-G spot from the reaction mixture by using silica gel chromatography, and its mass was measured by electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry. The purified new spot on the chromatograph was identified a sodium adduct ion ([M+Na]+, m/z = 303.1423) of HD-G. In addition, when purified HD-G was hydrolyzed using commercially available E. coli β-gal, it was observed that a galactose molecule was released from HD-G. That is, it was demonstrated that HD-G is a galactoside derivative of HD. Finally, we confirmed that HD-G was enzymatically synthesized by E. coli β -gal as a new molecular entity. In the future, we plan to determine the minimum inhibitory concentrations of HD-G against different bacterial species. The cytotoxicity of HD-G against human skin cells will also be examined. It is expected hopefully that the galactosylation of HD would improve the functionality of HD-G.
1, 2-Hexanediol;β-Galactosidase;cosmetic preservative;Escherichia coli;transgalactosylation
- Bridiau, N., Taboubi, S., Marzouki, N., Legoy, M. D. and Maugard, T. 2006. β-Galactosidase catalyzed selective galactosylation of aromatic compounds. Biotechnol. Prog. 22, 326-330. https://doi.org/10.1021/bp050230n
- Davis, B. G. and Robinson, M. A. 2002. Drug delivery systems based on sugar-macromolecule conjugates. Curr. Opin. Drug Discov. Devel. 5, 279-288.
- Herman, A., Herman, A. P., Domagalska, B. W. and Młynarczyk, A. 2013. Essential oils and herbal extracts as antimicrobial agents in cosmetic emulsion. Indian J. Microbiol. 53, 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12088-012-0329-0
- Huang, J., Gao, F., Tang, X., Yu, J., Wang, D., Liu, S. and Li, Y. 2010. Liver-targeting doxorubicin-conjugated polymeric prodrug with pH-triggered drug release profile. Polym. Int. 59, 1390-1396. https://doi.org/10.1002/pi.2880
- Johnson, W. Jr., Bergfeld, W. F., Belsito, D. V., Hill, R. A., Klaassen, C. D., Liebler, D., Marks, J. G. Jr., Shank, R. C., Slaga, T. J., Snyder, P. W. and Andersen, F. A. 2012. Safety assessment of 1,2-glycols as used in cosmetics. Int. J. Toxicol. 31(5 Suppl), 147S-168S. https://doi.org/10.1177/1091581812460409
- Jung, K. H. 2008. Enhanced enzyme activities of inclusion bodies of recombinant β-galactosidase via the addition of inducer analog after L-arabinose induction in the araBAD promoter system of Escherichia coli. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol.18, 434-442.
- Jung, K. H. and Lee, H. Y. 2015. Escherichia coli β-galactosidase-catalyzed synthesis of 2-phenoxyethanol galactoside and its characterization. Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng. 38, 365-372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00449-014-1276-4
- Jung, K. H., Yeon, J. H., Moon, S. K. and Choi, J. H. 2008. Methyl α-D-glucopyranoside enhances the enzymatic activity of recombinant β-galactosidase inclusion bodies in the araBAD promoter system of Escherichia coli. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 35, 695-701. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-008-0329-6
- Lee, E., An, S., Cho, S. A., Yun, Y., Han, J., Hwang, Y. K., Kim, H. K. and Lee, T. R. 2011. The influence of alkane chain length on the skin irritation potential of 1,2-alkanediols. Int. J. Cosmet. Sci. 33, 421-425. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00646.x
- Lee, J. Y., Lee J. N., Lee, G. T. and Lee, K. K. 2012. Development of antimicrobial plant extracts and its application to cosmetics. J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea 38, 171-179. https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2012.38.2.171
- Lee, S. E., Jo, T. M., Lee, H. Y., Lee, J. and Jung, K. H. 2013. β-Galactosidase-catalyzed synthesis of galactosyl chlorphenesin and its characterization. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 171, 1299-1312. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0213-3
- Melisi, D., Curcio, A., Luongo, E., Morelli, E. and Rimoli, M. G. 2011. D-Galactose as a vector for prodrug design. Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 11, 2288-2298. https://doi.org/10.2174/156802611797183258
- Scheckermann, C., Wagner, F. and Fischer, L. 1997. Galactosylation of antibiotics using the β-galactosidase from Aspergillus oryae. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 20, 629-634. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0229(96)00211-6
- Sanchez-Prado, L., Alvarez-Rivera, G., Lamas, J. P., Llompart, M., Loresa, M. and Garcia-Jares, C. 2013. Content of suspected allergens and preservatives in marketed baby and child care products. Anal. Methods 5, 416-427. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2AY26145F
- Siti-Zulaikha, R., Sharifah-Norkhadijah, S. I. and Praveena, S. M. 2015. Hazardous ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products and health concern: A review. Public Health Res. 5, 7-15.
- Tietze, L. F. and Schmuck, K. 2011. Prodrugs for targeted tumor therapies: recent developments in ADEPT, GDEPT and PMT. Curr. Pharm. Des. 17, 3527-3547. https://doi.org/10.2174/138161211798194459